Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

You can be a hero, just not the hero. You’re one of a group of many pioneers sent to rebuild civilization. That can be heroic, and to me is a lot more plausible than most of video game Messiah boilerplate stories.

Fallout 76 have a lot of NPC’s, but they are robots.

what are you, roboracist? whats next, a CAPTCHA?

Here’s a good article on what you should know before, if you’re gonna play the game… this writer is pretty good. Paul Tassi.

Taking the world by storm?

All good advice in that article.

I’m enjoying it too - only about 6-8 hours in but it’s a lot of fun and in a lot of ways harder than FO4. You can’t save scum although you could death scum (use death to refill health) and while the survival aspects are a bit of a pain - they haven’t been overbearing to the point where I got really annoyed (this was my biggest concern) and they get easier over time either with perks (lead belly) or a better Camp (water purifier which I hope to get some day)

Overall it feels like FO4.5 as mentioned but a little less forgiving and also a little more forgiving at other times. Very strong fallout vibe and a nice fix for the time being even though it might not be “perfect”

I’ve been wandering alone in the wasteland since beta and keep stumbling upon things that are new, interesting, and rather enjoyable. Today, for example, I was trekked to a new POI and was in the middle of a fight with super mutants when a voice on a loudspeaker (Mayor of Grafton) suddenly spoke up, requesting assistance with collecting nearby toxic barrels and dumping them. Turns out it was a DAILY EVENT that had a 24 hour timer to complete. It was pretty cool and took me to various smaller POI’s nearby but I’m still not sure if I triggered it or if it was just coincidence and I happened to be in the area at the right time. Methinks I triggered it because it was definitely designed for that particular area but it was nice to be the lone person doing it. In fact, I’ve done several events on my own… the map is huge and there seem to be very few people around in my experience.

Edit: also, great trick I discovered today for recharging Fusion Cores is to exit the game while INSIDE your power armor frame with the discharged core in it, and then relog into the game and the core will be 100%

That’s not so much a trick as exploiting a bug, but… cool?

Yup, cool. I can’t stand the way Fallout does power armor’s fusion cores so I’ll exploit this till the cows come home and enjoy running around carrying my junk back and forth with my PA frame because everything is so damned heavy and it sucks! Thank you very much.

If they cut out the piss poor narratives of Fallout 4 about finding your son, and just give me more exploration, then I consider Fallout 76 an improvement. Exploring Glowing Sea on foot in Survival is definitely a highlight in Fallout 4 for me.

That’s pretty much Fallout 76, yeah.

Today I discovered that you can find “workshop” type areas. In this case, it was a junk yard. As a player, you can pay some caps to claim these areas which are like a pre-built harvesting hub. In the case of the junk yard, it had a Steel scrapper, an Aluminum scrapper, and three junk scrappers that contained an array of crafting components. It also came equipped with access to my stash, all the workstations, water pump/purifier, a bunch of turrets, and power generators to run it all.

The thing is, only one player can claim these at a time. Other players can try to raid your workshop, and you also have to defend it periodically from waves of NPC enemies. If someone else owns it and they get attacked, it seems to serve as a public quest and you can help them defend it. If you succeed, you get quest rewards for doing so. I was able to stock up on some much-needed aluminum and other things. No player attempted to take it from me while I was there, but an hour or so after I left someone came to take it. I get a warning and I could fast travel, but I was done using it anyway so I just let them have it.

I succumbed. And…I rather like it. There’s an odd look to it, like a combo of too much bloom or HDR and a weird sort of photo-realism, at least for terrain in the distance, but overall it looks ok. I’ve enjoyed getting to level 7, wandering around, finding stuff, etc. Have not enjoyed being harassed by level 19 or 21 players (when I turned 5) who followed me around some of the early questing areas and kept shooting me. You don’t take that much damage if you don’t shoot back (which I didn’t), but it will eventually kill you, so I had to fast travel back to the Vault and come back later. Eh, par for the course in a game with PvP.

KevinC – are you thinking that is worth it now? TheWombat I am about 12 seconds from succumbing.

But I resist.

2 Mutants take out an Alpha Deathclaw. I passed on tangling.
Photo_2018-11-16-232120 by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

I mean, it’s been worth it to me, but that’s subjective. If you want to explore more Fallout, it’s probably worth it. If you’re looking for something heavy on the narrative and story-driven, you may want to give it a pass.

Can you play this game solo or with a friend without going online multiplayer? Hell is other people.

“L’enfer, c’est les autres.” Yes, you can; there is a fabulous Charisma perk chain you can get that boosts your solo capability, and really, it’s much much more like Fallout 4.5 with (somewhat) optional multiplayer baked in. Optional in that you can pretty much go your own way and usually fast travel away from idiots (or flag yourself Pacifist which reduces even further the already reduced damaged non-consensual PvP inflicts). I am trying to get my wife to get on board, though, as she’s a lot better crafter than I am. I am more of a shotgun to the face player.

Thanks - that sounds like multiplayer still? I hate competing with people for resources and sites and I read further up that only player can “claim” a site. I imagine that all kinds of chicanery can happen even if they can’t directly kill you, they can make it very much less fun to play.

Those sites are intended to be short term bonuses you can compete over for fun. They’re set up as PVP motivation for people who like that sort of thing.

But no, you cannot play on a private server. I loathe playing with random idiots as well, but this hasn’t been bad. PKing is surprisingly de-emphasized, the rewards for it aren’t great (and your own losses very minor), and it’s easy to escape because an attacker does very little damage to you unless you fight back.

Mostly, though, Bethesda set it up so that encounters with other players are rare. You can also see where they are in the map, so you can head to unpopulated areas. The map is huge and the player count per server small, which I prefer. I have probably 8-10 hours now and haven’t had a PVP engagement yet. I’m sure that will change, but so far so good.