Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

Me too. I’m willing to accept that the underlying engine is a Frankenstein’s monster of archaic technology baying at the moon at the sheer injustice of being allowed to survive, and I’m willing to overlook the crash bugs, and I’m willing to overlook the kludge and jank and bad animations and jerky framerates. Bethesda makes fun playgrounds to tool around in, as long as you’d don’t expect any RP in your RPG.

If I want to be stupefied by graphics and polish and stuff, I’ll play Forza.

I’m a huge fan of Fallout all the way back to the first game, but FO4 was one of my all time favorite games. Last week I was convinced that I wouldn’t get this game. I didn’t want to play FO4 with other people. Of course as soon as it came out I ordered it on the PS store. After about 4 or 5 hours I’m still really enjoying the game. The graphics look good to me, but I’m playing on a PS 4 Pro on a brand new Sony Bravia Z9F master series tv, so everything looks freaking amazing.

I think one of the best parts of the game to me is how unexpectedly fun it’s been to see other players and interact with them. It feels like I’m playing with other FO fans, and so far no one has been a dick.

Have the script kiddies figured out how to Haxz0r the game and one shot noobs yet? I haven’t seen nearly enough scha·den·freu·de in these clips yet.

Haven’t seen any issues yet.

That is the most goddamn adorable thing of all time! It’s like The Road, but really cute. If I knew that kind of stuff was going to happen more often, I’d play Fallout '76.

-Tom

The game is addicting, and the world feels so much larger than F4. Surprisingly, the writing in 76 is more ‘believable’ than F4… maybe because everything in F4 was tied to all things Boston tourism, it felt unnatural (still was good game). And there is alot of writing in this game, much more than I thought. Also, imo this is the best looking map they ever made for a game of there kind.

I’m kind of surprised how much hate this game is getting, I actually really like it. anyway, you can friend me online as ‘mtkafka’.

Hmmm. Even I am starting to get more interested. I do appreciate the comments all. Especially in solo play.

Their marketing was an absolute disaster. The game I’m playing isn’t anything like what I had understood the game to be during most of its development.

I’m really enjoying it too.

I wish the performance was better (on Xbox one X). The load times are little longer than I’d like. I don’t have a lot of interest in the multiplayer aspect.

But other than that, it’s great fun. More Fallout, on a bigger map, with more to explore.
The perk card system is great and makes things far more situational than being stuck with SPECIAL stat decisions you made hours before.
I don’t miss the NPCs at all. I’m not big on story in games and actually enjoy not having to deal with whiny survivors and navigate conversation dialogues. Just give me a waypoint, I’ll go kill stuff and make my own adventure doing it.

I’m curious. What did you understood?

So in the end, you wanted to play F4 with other people!

It’s funny, you see sometimes an attitude of the big companies that imply that players themselves don’t know what they want and ‘they know better’, I now see it may be the truth :D :D

It was that I didn’t understand. So many of the things they said were pitching it like a survival game. You have a food and thirst meter! We’re focusing on base building and there’s PVP to wreck some bases! Drop nukes and compete for sweet loot! That sounds VERY much like Yet Another Survival Game.

But then they’d come out repeatedly and insist it wasn’t a survival game, but they still didn’t do a good job describing what it was. They tended to respond to worry about a lack of NPCs by saying there’s still robots. And that you can still get quests, they just come from computer terminals. This latter part sounded like procedurally generated “quest boards” that you find in games like AC:Od.

Instead, it’s largely an online Fallout 4.5. Those quests you get from computers is you following up on and investigating what happened in the area. It tells the story, along with the various audio logs.

I still think the nods they made to the survival genre were a mistake. Hunger and thirst add nothing to the game, it’s a trivial annoyance. Yes there’s base building, but they should have pitched it as being able to do Fallout 4 settlements with your friends and family, instead they seemed to talk a lot about the peeveepee. And speaking of that, I have no interest in a PVP environment like that.

If they just came out and said it was a Fallout 4.5 with a few concessions to multiplayer, it would have been a lot more interested. Because that’s largely what it is.

Watching the first 10’ of this 20’ post 35 hours impressions by Oxhorn highlights how the game looks, how it is possible to explore the map solo and have a great time doing it and how chock full of lore the world is.

A Fallout 4.5 where I can sometimes group with or meet other players is fine by me.

I would definitely recommend the game to any Bethesda rpg fan, the only reservation is that the game is slower paced but it still has the same addictive qualities. And like Bethesda ES/Fallout games of before, get used to inventory management! Scrapping junk is a neccesity for crafting! One of the things I like about this game is it isn’t punishing and most things are replaceable. Even losing camps doesnt set you back like in other survival games like Ark.

Is hard to recommend this game because of the reaction:

~40% love this game a lot.
~3% don’t have a solid opinion
~60% hate this game with a passion of 1000 suns

I am on the happy 40%, but where you see negative opinions, is scorched land. Man, the people that hate this game, they hate it with a never seen before passion.

You don’t follow many games, do you? ;)

This thread has certainly brought me around to being interested in the game for the first time since its announcement. When it goes on sale, or has a free preview weekend, I’d be interested in checking it out now.

Yes, if base-building or solo exploration was your favorite part of FO4, this may be up your alley. If it was the story and living world, not so much.

I don’t know, there’s been plenty of story in Fallout 76. It’s just that it’s not a story about YOU.

Yeah, I’m told it’s lots of audiotapes about dead people. But hey, who wants to be the hero of the story, anyway? Who wouldn’t rather be a vulture picking over the scattered carcasses of people who led more interesting lives?