Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

I’ll have to check, but Wolfenstein II was really quick last year too. It came out right before Black Friday sales, and then was pretty cheap during those sales.

Same publisher. Even when they come out right before Thanksgiving, they don’t want to miss out on the bargain hunters.

Hmm, good question. When you log in, it says “world found,” which is sort of ambiguous but could mean it searched for and found any random shard with capacity. And I’ve not run into that many other players, but looking on the map where everyone is shown as a dot, the names don’t seem to be the same ones AFAIK. What is persistent is your character level, stuff, quest status, etc. all centered on you. Now, what happens if, say, I build a camp in spot X one day, and log in the next day and am assigned to a shard where, somehow, some other player has also built a camp at place X? No clue; it is possible that there is some weird way to make that stuff persistent. But I really don’t know.

When does the review embargo lift?

Pretty sure the server is chosen randomly at logon. This was actually suggested (by Bethesda) as a solution to get away from players that may be bothering you on any particular server.

There was no embargo. Some reviews have already come out. I assume other reviewers are taking more time to see more endgame stuff.

Everyone got access at the same time when the servers went live.

I think GuildBoss has the right of it. My husband and I play this together (PS4), and when we each log in, we seem to get assigned to a random server. Once we party up to play together, one of us ends up getting moved to the other’s server. (Whichever server the party leader is on.)

Hansey ty. That is sorta too bad in a way, I could see it being sorta odd fun playing with your 23 bunch of crazy strangers though everything. I take it then what you have done persists onto a new server everytime.

Sort of an odd concept. I hope it works.

I’d be pissed too if strangers were filming me on the sly and then posting it to the internet.

It does, though I’m not really sure how that works. Like, my camp is always just where I left it, as is my spouse’s. I’m not sure what would happen if it tried to put me on a server where someone happened to have their camp in the exact same location. (Extremely unlikely, but possible, I suppose.) Maybe it checks when choosing a server to make sure your “stuff” won’t interfere with someone else’s, and if it does it picks a different server? Would that mean we’d both have to get sent to a different server then? I have no idea!

Maybe we should do an experiment - both of us should log on to separate servers, move our camps to the exact same location and then group up… and see what happens, hehe.

The say if you are logged into a server where your camp space is taken, you can then place it anywhere you want.

I don’t even make a camp as you can fast travel anywhere and use those other stations all over the world. Maybe at higher level it will mean something.

Worldstar!

That was awesome.

Why was he filming some other guy’s return transaction?

I assume there was an argument when he tried for a refund.

LOL that gamestop video is amazing. I love how the store clerk answers the phone and acts like nothing at all is happening. Almost feels staged though.

I finished this game, took around 42 hours. A lof of fun. Almost no bugs.

:D

Back to inventory/stash management… check your Gunpowder and Bobby Pins. These tend to accumulate if you’re not careful.

Well, the video may or may not be staged, but there’s no mystery about return policies. They’re pretty strict and even more so for a multiplayer game I’d assume; if you buy a physical copy when you register it at Bethesday.net, isn’t it sort of tied then to your account, etc.?

I have no issue with the way the game handles shards and multiplayer in general, but I do think their implementation feels a bit half-baked. AFAIK, there’s no way to limit voice comms to just your group, and I always hear groups of people chatting when they are in proximity and it is really weird and confusing. I suppose one could, say, use the in-game chat on one key and have another push to talk key (while using Teamspeak or Discord or something) for your friends, but that starts to get wonky.

Beyond the sort of nifty aspect of building your own Unibomber cabin, fast travel to your camp costs zero caps, while every other fast travel jaunt has a cost based on distance. You can also make things more convenient by having all the crafting stations right there, along with a water purifier and crops, so it can save you effort and money.

Well that is not a good start. It’s in the UK, but the UK isn’t wildly different than the US when it comes to sales trends.

I would expect more price drops very quickly. I doubt it’ll be more than $30 in January.