Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

Perception doesn’t help your aim, agility doesn’t give more AP, etc?

I didn’t miss your point, but I think you missed mine: that it’s Black Friday/Cyber Monday is a little immaterial if the discount is as steep as it is – 40%.

NOPE, or as little as you might notice

There are PER perks that buff ranged dmg etc. There are AGL perks that give you more AP

It’s all about the sweet sweet perk cards you equip

CAN YOU DIG IT

Agility may well increase your base AP, I haven’t checked. There are Perk cards that do most everything you normally would do through leveling up SPECIAL stats, though, and it seems they want you to swap in and out different Perks as needed. It’s not a bad idea overall, though the implementation (surprise!) gets wonky fast (like, a Gunslinger card and an advanced version that both seem to do the exact same thing, but which imply, due to their different names, that they can’t be combined like you can two identical cards. Very odd.).

Perception and aim? No clue. There are cards that say they make this or that weapon class do more damage, but I can’t recall anything about accuracy. I mean, weapons have accuracy ratings, and I suppose when you aim at something you get the same sort of shooter variation based on weapon accuracy, but I can’t really fathom whether your own stats vice your actual physical aim matters. Then again, Fallout long ago ceased to be a stat-based RPG, really.

Wow, so they short-circuited baseline RPG progression mechanics too. Womp womp.

I mean, it’s not surprising. F4 was barely a RPG, they’ve been going in that direction for some time now, making a shooter with perk cards is the ultimate expression of that de-evolution. And that could have been OK, if it wasn’t buggy, and the shooting was awesome like Destiny, and it wasn’t buggy as hell.

Wait , the game doesn’t have a Take All button? I saw it mentioned in the GameSpew review. I mean its a game that focuses on looting stuff. D:

Given the absurd limits on encumbrance, the last thing you want is a “take all” button…

Ah true, I am the first to admit in the previous Fallout games, I’ve increased my carry limit to 99999. <3 mods.

Yeah, the real problem here is execution, for whatever reason. Some may lament the switch from “pure” CRPG to shooter-RPG hybrid, but that’s been a done deal for a long time now. The real issue here is that the game engine simply cannot sustain the concept. It’s 2018; we expect even our RPG-shooters to have at least a basic level of performance that this game usually struggles to even approach, much less reach.

Of course, even if it looked like Battlefield V and ran like butter, there would still be a lot of, um, fallout due to the design decisions they’ve made, many of which are at best questionable.

No, this is totally incorrect. To summarize:

• Strength: Increases your melee damage and weight capacity.
  • Perception: Stealth detection, weapon accuracy in VATS
  • Endurance: HP, reduces AP drain for sprinting, resists disease.
  • Charisma: Share perk cards, increase rewards from group missions, better vendor prices.
  • Intelligence: Increases durability of items you craft, extra mats from scrapping.
  • Agility: Increases Action Points, increases ability to sneak
  • Luck: Crit charge, better loot.

These are the base stat effects. They also have a strong influence on character build because it determines what number and strength of perk cards you can equip.

In fairness, most folks consider “aim” to be, well, normal aim, not VATS. I haven’t even used VATS much because I can almost always hit far more reliably without it. Though I guess I’m missing out on crits?

Even so it’s yet another thing that’s no different than Fallout 4, yet somehow it’s lolomg in '76. Perception in F4 increased your accuracy in VATS, other than that it was FPS skills.

Oh, no argument there.

I dunno Dess. I would bow to your superior RPG knowledge …… but overall Telefrog’s assertion seems right. Vats in Fallout 3 was a bow to turnbased players from Fallouts 1-2. But well it helped me shoot better…but I dunno about this '76 thing.

That KevinC continues to run in Fallout '76 and is having fun makes me pause at my criticism.

It shouldn’t! :) There’s plenty of things to be critical of, it’s just that the particular assertion that Fallout 76 somehow moved away from stats or whatever in comparison to Fallout 4 doesn’t have any basis in truth to it.

Ultimately, I can be critical of aspects of the game while still enjoying my time with it, if you know that I mean.

I dunno, I have a couple of friends who want to play. Also think people want to hear more about the game. I can swing 30 bucks.

I’ll probably stream a fair bit this weekend.

Wow, the pile on top of the end of the world this game sucks is completely overrated. Simmer down people.

If you don’t mind a slower paced Fallout 4, that is online, you will like this game. It’s the same game except you will sometimes see people online in a much bigger and better looking world. The mechanics are essentially the same except slower and the rewards are not given out immediately. It is not for everybody, but for people who can essentialy tune out and wander and kill and loot in skyrim/F3/F4, its no different.

There are a few online only mmo type systems, like the nuke and some super boss creatures (which almost make me feel like im playing old EQ with the wandering NPC Super mobs that KILL ON SIGHT). IF you don’t like these mmo type systems (like recovering loot or taking up to 5-10 minutes to get to your destination) you might not like the pacing of this game.

For me, its not a shitshow, fucking die Bethesda you ruined Fallout Forever! game, its a 7/10 game that could possibly be even better. Also, this is based on playing on PC without any of the glitches or bugs that others have seen. I have seen the same amount of bugs as if I played Fallout 4 on release. Its DEFINITELY far from the bug mess on PC that I experienced wth FNV, which is I consider one of the best CRPGs EVAR!

Ah, what were they, Frum and Chum or something? Wandering Karana or someplace like that. I hated those guys.

But yes, I think you nailed it. I’ve had some bugs, some glitches, and a lot of jank, but as you note, um, it’s just like FO4 in that regard, except with hillbillies.

Oh, I have to say, the landscape is a pretty good rendition of Appalachia. Now when are we going to get the version after the bombs fell?