Fallout: New Vegas

I was playing fallout tactics and was watching one video with a guy who didn’t have a team, but just heavy armor and a big machine gun. I then though, “That might make a fun play-through for FO:NV”. I normally play a sneaky type. So my plain is basically + 1 to int / str / agi / per / end. Then drop chasima to 1 and bump str / int to 8. Ill take guns, repair and speech craft as tag skills. Most of my perks will be the toughness one. Ideally Ill just be a very tough dude who can wade into battle and unload death taking minimal damage.

Too bad tag skills do not give you 2:1 for point spent. I may look for a mod for that one. I am planning on a set of minimal mods. I want a bullet time one and one to get rid of the mini games for hacking (or lockpicking, I do not remember if there is one). Maybe there is a tag skill mod too.

There are several mods out there that will give you the Fallout 1-2 approach to tag skills. Some remove the +15 point bonus, some don’t. I’d say remove it since even with 0 bonus the double points are making the game significantly easier.

I am not sure why with these latest 2 fallouts they didn’t stick with the original TAG system. To me, they represent skills you had a knack for. For example, some people are good at math. It is not just that they have more math knowledge (representing the skill bonus), but they learn math easier than your typical person. This represents the 2:1 skill bonus. Anyway, I found a mod for the tag skills.

Sorry, I never really put it up anywhere aside from some storage I had a my former’s employer. Let me dig around and see if I have a copy of it and find a place to put it again. I’m a bit surprised that anyone would bring it up :)

Well, I wasn’t expecting to read that! Sorry, I never really put it up anywhere aside from where I had it originally it at my former employer. Let me dig around and see if I have a copy of it and find a place to put it again. I’m a bit surprised that anyone would bring it up :)

Holy smoke, yes please. :) Thanks! I thought it was a really good mix of music for the game. :)

So I decided to clear some of my backlog instead of taking part in summer sales, and I finally got around to playing Fallout NV with all the DLCs (from a steam sale last year, I think?). Shockingly, I skipped FO3, so this engine is completely new to me. Are there any recommended mods that I should install before first playthrough? I know there’s JSawyer’s mod - should I install that?

Timely question, I’m just about to start my first ever playthrough of the game too.

I can’t provide links from work (can edit them in later), but the only packages I’ve downloaded from the FNV Mod Nexus so far are Poco Bueno (for better textures across the game), DCE Better Faces and Better Binoculars. I.e., I’ve tried to stay away from game altering ones until I know a bit more about playing. I would love to hear about other recommended mods.

Wendelius

The last time I played I went heavily modded, and after encountering a number of mod problems, ended up tinkering with my own private mod to deal with them.

My advice is “don’t.” The first time you play, play vanilla. Mods all screw with the balance, and until you understand how the game plays normally, you won’t know which changes suit your taste and which don’t. None of the game-changing mods is an un-alloyed improvement. It’s quite common, for example, for mods to give you abilities which normally require character perks to unlock, so in effect they destroy that perk and the choice to take that perk.

Don’t play with JSawyer’s mod. I did. Overall, it’s not good. It does one positive thing, which is to reduce the weight of energy weapon ammunition, which is seriously overweight compared to firearm ammunition. But it also screws up a lot of other things. It makes the start of the game much harder, which is the one section you shouldn’t, particularly if you’re new to the game. If you’re going to tweak difficulty, at present the game gets steadily easier as you increase in level and gain skills and perks, so addresing that would make sense. JSawyer’s mod doesn’t address that at all beyond the clumsiest possible fix - it lowers the level cap from 50 to 30.

If you absolutely must play with mods, you might try FOOK or Project Nevada or both. Though I’d be sparing with Project Nevada’s modules, since some change the game significantly away from the normal experience. You might enjoy that on a second run, but you should see the game as designed at least once.

+1

Play vanilla at least for a while until you find aspects that are unbearable.

It really is a brilliant game that doesn’t need much modding other than a few graphical improvements to jazz it up.

Thanks. Works for me. If the game isn’t broken, I prefer to stick with vanilla (with the exception of some graphical enhancements) on a first playthrough.

Wendelius

For graphical improvements, I’d say forget about texture mods and all of that, and just look for a good enb mod. It changes the lighting and gives the game a complete facelift. After playing with an enb mod, I wasn’t ever able to go back to plain vanilla looking Fallout New Vegas. Unfortunately, the enb is also really graphics card intensive, and my 5850HD got so hot that it shuts down, so I have to turn up the fan speed, which lets me play, but the fan is so loud I can’t hear the game very well anymore. :(

So maybe don’t go with enb mods after all, I don’t know. Unless you’ve got something better than an ATI 5850.

Got a link to said ENB mod?

EDIT: found one that looks awesome.

Yeah, I’m not sure which enb I used anymore. But all the ones that I looked up look absolutely stunning, so it’s definitely not hard to find a beautiful one.

EDIT: I found a config file that mentions MIDHRASTIC Fallout 3. A quick search led to this youtube video. It shows Fallout 3, not Fallout New Vegas, but my New Vegas game looks just like in that video.

If you’re playing with the DLC that gives you the sturdy caravan shotgun at the start, I recommend this mod. I consider it a bugfix really.

Another option is Imaginator (for color presets, no fps loss) and Dynavision (DoF with near 0 fps loss). It’s not quite like ENB but you can get really good results with them.

This is of course along with other mods that adjust lighting, such as Fellout.

Tried the ENB. Meh. It looked good but halved my FPS and my PC heated up pretty quick judging by how the fans started going a bit nuts. Not worth the performance hit IMO but I might try playing around with the settings.

If it uses Depth of Field, turn that off and it might give you enough FPS back to make it worthwhile. DoF tends to be pretty killer in ENB mods, and looks wrong while playing anyway (though it makes for great screenshots).

When I played the game a year ago FOOK and PN didn’t get along well so I ended up just staying with FOOK. Still a fun mod though and one I’d recommend if you have enough self control to not load a weapon testing locker and help yourself to all the cool guns. Or was that Project Nevada that had that. Can’t remember now.

Any opinions on Mission Mojave - Ultimate Edition? I’m thinking of getting at least one bugfix patch, and this seems to retain the most vanilla-ness.