Far Cry 2 "What The Hell Is Wrong With This Game" Thread

That’s because programming C# in Visual Studio is awesome!

No idea why people are giving Far Cry 2 90%+ reviews. I kinda want my $50 back from STEAM, in fact.

Wait, you only paid $50 on Steam? I just saw it for $70 at the European store. And now it’s gone altogether… hmm.

unfortunately Steam doesn’t allow returns so I’m out $50 for this pile of crap. I guess I’ll have to double-down on piracy to make up for that in karma, or something.

Such a disappointment, because I loved Far Cry so much.

I think I’d consider paying $50 to watch wumpus play this.

Did 4 of em already. The hard way. I always save the rocket launcher for something important, which generally never comes.

Now my new problem is my 2nd buddy died, supposedly to a mercy killing. I did no such thing! He saved me bacon once, and then got hurt, so I administered the healing thingy, which let him stand up, got a history bonus, and all seemed well with the area as secure as I could make it. Next time I died however he failed to show up, and I saw he had been mercy killed. Wtf. Repercussions for this? I have done quite a few side missions since he died and I don’t really want to restart, but I hate to miss anything.

Mr. Blow, you have a Dragunov in the rocket launcher position, number 4? That’s a sniper rifle right? Or is it the SAW, whatever that is, that replaces the launcher?

Don’t feel bad, Gendal. I’m pretty sure I killed my buddy. I did one of the missions where I was supposed to help him out in a firefight. When I showed up, there were lots of people already shooting at…something? Someone? I was just glad they weren’t focusing on me yet. So I went around and killed everyone.

Apparently my buddy was one of the “everyones”.

I figured there’d be a bright green arrow over his head or something. No such luck. By the way, I’m pretty sure you have to do a mission or sleep for a day or some such thing to queue up a buddy resurrection. If I’m not mistaken, there’s an indicator in the journal whether he or she is ready for a rescue.

-Tom

Wait, you can resurrect them? I am going to stick that in the weird but nice category. I very much like the game so far, though I am worried the constant guard battles and roaming vehicles are going to get old.

Tom is talking about the ability for your second BFF to come and rescue you when you get into a tight spot. I don’t believe you can resurrect your dead buddy.

Two and a half hours in, I’m enjoying the game quite a bit.

Tom’s review helped me approach the game with the right mindset though. Thanks Tom!

If you had paid any attention at all, you would have known that Far Cry 2 has nothing to do with the first game.

Really? It’s not a first person shooter? All I was looking for was a great FPS.

Far Cry 2 is a great driving and orienteering and “go kill the foozle” sim, but not so good at the core shooting people with guns part.

I played for a couple hours, got bored stupid. Doesn’t do anything well, driving is poor, fps elements are, in my honest opinion, very poor. Feel like I’ve been robbed, at least I can take it back unlike getting it from steam.

Actually even the real door doesn’t work until you’ve used the computer, bought a gun and collected it.

I’m replaying at the moment, and decided to pay more attention to what people actually say this time around. Your tutorial kidnapper tells you about the diamond-hunting mechanic, then says “But if I were you, I’d get to Mike’s bar and take care of that malaria first.”

I agree! Malaria is serious business :(

So I tried to do that, but Mike’s Bar turns out to be in an extra-malaria zone until you’ve opened that suitcase. So I black out before I can reach it, wake up back in the tutorial kidnapper’s house, and he says:

“You don’t hear too good, do you? Malaria’s not something to screw around with, you need to get that seen to right away.”

Moral: don’t listen to what people actually say, or do what makes sense. Follow tooltips blindly.

I have played worse tutorials, but reviewing Red Alert 3 last week reminded me for the first time in years that tutorials are actually allowed to be fun.

You’re missing the point. It would be like buying any other FPS game, then hate it and say: “Such a disappointment, because I loved Far Cry so much.”

There’s a lot of driving, and I despise it. The vehicles feel very much like someone just wedged them into an FPS which is of course pretty much what they did. GTA4 has a lot of driving as well of course, but at least it’s fun. The vehicles feel real and just getting from point A to point B can be enjoyable. In FC2 I find it’s just a chore, like a long cutscene that I’m forced to actually take part in. This game could really do with optional fast travel, at least to places you’ve already visited once. All that said, GTA4 is much more about the vehicles of course so I can see how driving there would be more fun than in FC2 but for such an open world game where the travel is touted as a fun part of the experience, it’s really not.

One thing I don’t care for, but thought I would is the little mini “cutscenes”. I’m talking about fixing your engine, opening doors, getting in and out of vehicles etc. I used to think that sort of thing would be neat, but now having seen it put into practice I’d rather have the option to skip it all. Plus, this is the first game I’ve ever played that makes me a bit motion sick.

The initial rant power coming from this post has persuaded me to start my own rant :)

Some things I dont like:

Firefights…

So, I noticed that there are checkpoints every couple hundred meters or so…Trying to sneak up on these things in my vehicle seems nigh impossible, so I get out of my vehicle and sneak through the bushes. This is usually followed by getting shot up quickly…So Im thinking, sniper!, but it sounds like a shotgun to me…So as I peer out of the bushes, trying to find muzzle flashes while getting shot up, all the while thinking, wait a sec, I’m not even shooting and they know right where to point their shotguns from 1.5 miles away, but I cant even find them via their muzzle flashes, what kind of crap is that? So I point my iron sight at what I think is a muzzle flash, and snap off a few shots, the muzzle flash from my gun literally taking up the whole screen, and being able to make out some blood squirts in the middle of it… I havent heard any screams or yells, but the muzzle flash has stopped…Yep got him, now for those other two guys who are still shooting me up…

Immersion…

I was hoping for more of this… Tom mentioned in his review at the lack of bystanders, and thats pretty much a big problem with the game. Everyone you come across will attack you well before you see them, unless your in a no fire zone. The game also feels very empty and lonely minus the checkpoints that you run into. At the same time, this game is nowhere near GTA4 or Crysis in realism, throwing a grenade next to a small wooden shack will catch it on fire for a sec, but will not damage the shack at all. Cars dont appear to deal out damage… I got run over by a jeep speeding along the road and it simply pushed me out of the way. I can’t hack bushes with my machete, and the list goes on and on.

Overall, game feels more like a tech demo, then a actual game, but this is only playing it for a couple of hours. Im still trying to fight my way through the first mission, where waves of what must be elite special forces snipers are coming to kill me.

I think it’s time to stop reading these threads before the er… other players… ruin the experience for me. :)

It’s similar to how I have to recommend STALKER in hushed circles.

I think a lot of the irritations people are experiencing in this game are going to irritate me as well. Since Amazon already shipped the game (arrives tomorrow) I’m going to go ahead and give it a shot. It doesn’t sound like the irritations are the sort of things one can just excuse as that particular person “not getting it”. I mean, bad driving, omniscient/cheap AI, and the constant threat of malaria fits aren’t really subjective complaints. They sound like deal breaking irritations in a game that might otherwise be a riot. But hell, I’ll have my own impressions to post on Friday/Saturday.

I’ve found cars hitting me kill me pretty reliably, but totally with you on the other thing. That’s, like, the point of a machete, and it’s not like they don’t have the vegetation-breaking tech: it works for guns.

Twice in a row just now, Warren Clyde rescued me from certain death, then as soon as I was on my feet, shot me twice in the stomach with his shotgun, causing certain death. The third time I just blew his face off the second I was up. It probably looked ungrateful to the goons firing at us, but I knew better.

On the same mission, my best buddy got hurt and was writhing on the floor. 'Use’ing him only gave me the option to blow his brains out, even though I had a full pack of syrettes. I’ve saved buddies before, but the syrette was always the default option. None of the keys to change or heal do anything. Anyone else had that?

I like having this downer thread to keep all this talk out of the main one, by the way - there’s no use arguing about whether this means it’s a good game or a bad one overall, but it’s cathartic to read about people having the same troubles I had.

Hint: you’re under fire, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE CAR

You don’t know how many times I yelled a variant of this during GTA 4. THE MARK IS GETTING AWAY, GET IN THE FUCKING CAR! Watching him slowly lead a person out of the car at gunpoint and then carefully get in while letting the target get further and further away was infuriating to no end.

Yeah, infusing characters in games with a contextual sense of urgency should be high on developers’ lists of things to improve in games. This has long been a frustration of mine. There are few things more irritating in a game than watching a character go through a leisurely animation while he’s under some direct threat/pressure to move quickly.