Far Cry 2

Really ?
:(

No Fersis, you are doing it wrong. What you are supposed to say is:

“Really? I don’t much care for Eurogamer reviews because [Insert reasons here].” Then you can add a now gratuitous smiley.

Uugh I’m trying to hold off until a price drop on the PC version, but I’m not sure I can resist. Open world games are kyptonite to my wallet.

-Tim

I haven’t seen the other reviews yet, but to be fair, I can understand how Far Cry 2 might be divisive. It leans on certain hot-button design concepts like weapon degradation, minimal interface, lack of fast travel, no quicksave (360 version), and strange pacing. It’s certainly a AAA mainstream titles, but as I mentioned in my review, it’s also a bit like an art house movie.

-Tom

I think that’s all entirely fair though. It seems pretty clear just based off word of mouth that Ubi was trying to create a particular type of game completely immersed in its first-person-ness, and I think they were pretty clear in what they wanted to achieve with this semi-realistic, semi-open world shooter. I think it’s the type of game that right off the bat wasn’t going to be for everyone, but I think the immersion is only going to be heightened by all of the things you just mentioned. It may be the type of game that doesn’t translate well to the more casual player, as loathe as I am to use that descriptor.

Either way, as much as I liked your review and as much as your impressions had me salivating for this game for weeks, I will at least attempt to approach it impartially tomorrow and see if I am so sucked into the world that I enjoy all those things you just listed, or if they immediately jump out at me as things that drive me crazy.

Those of you getting Far Cry 2 for PC and have an nvidia card might want to take note of this from tweakguides.com

Nvidia has released a new Beta Forceware 180.42 driver for Windows XP and Vista. These drivers are for GeForce 8800, 9 and 200 series graphics cards. The most significant feature is that they are designed to provide improved performance in Far Cry 2.

ign reviewed the pc version and they say you can save anywhere and it looks a bit nicer then either the 360 or ps3 version. http://pc.ign.com/articles/922/922038p1.html

None of that bothers me at all, but can you give your take on the respawning enemies? Just looking for a better description of frequency/circumstances, etc.

I realize many people don’t mind it (or even prefer it), but it really ruins games like CoD4 for me - any comparison to how FC2 handles it?

I’m PC on this one. Lots of long-range sniping = high-resolution FTW. 1920x1200 + two 8800GT’s SLI’ed = good frame rate even when picking off TEENY TINY GUYS a half klick away.

I got Dead Space for console since that’s a game that plays best REALLY, REALLY BIG on the eight-foot projector wall, and since analog sticks really increase tension when you can sloooowly creep along. (Bioshock also played well for me on 360, for the same reasons.) But when it comes to long-distance games, high resolution really helps.

If it helps, the two other EGM reviewers besides me also noted that the guns don’t appear to jam when the AI uses them.

From what I gather reading reviews, FC2 could not be more different from COD4. Respawning enemies in a game where you can’t explore ANYTHING that deviates from the single track the designers laid out seems wildly different from respawning enemies in a wide open world.

Desslock, I believe that Tom explained that we’re not looking at soldier clowncars like in CoD4 or Mercs 2. It’s more that if you kill everyone at a camp and leave for a day, when you come back new soldiers have repopulated the camp.

I wonder what the performance on PC is like-I don’t really want or care about the quicksave feature, since the temptation to use it sort of ruined some of my experience of trying things in games like Crysis.

I am wondering if it will look or control significantly better though…ahh…screw it, I am getting it on 360.

I’ve pre-ordered it on Steam, so I’ll report performance on my rig sometime over the next day or so (no pre-download, apparently, which is annoying). I’m sure others will beat me to the punch, in any case. :)

Link to some PC benchmarks:

Interesting. So it’s quite CPU intensive. So even with my Radeon 4850, I’d have some trouble because my CPUs are Athlon64 X2 4200+, and the CPU will the be the bottleneck. Damn. I wonder how much turning the settings down from the highest setting will help when the CPU is the bottleneck? Oh well, I’m getting it for the 360 anyway.

Oh, o.k. then - that’s completely fine with me. I just hate respawning within a set encounter, or very shortly after it, which effectively penalizes anyone who wants to explore or be thorough and/or patiently snipe.

Love the term “clowncars”, btw - so apt.

Oh ok, im gonna save my toughts on eurogamer for another thread, this one is a lovely Far Cry 2 thread.

GRanted, I don’t play every FPS that hits the market (or most of them; before Bioshock the last big FPS I played was. . . well I don’t remember. Maybe Serious Sam, where it’s not really a factor), but for me Golden Eye on the N64 did this about as bad as I’ve seen any game ever do it. A roommate and I spent an ungodly and inordinate amount of time getting the max rating on every level in the game and this really came into play when going for the top whatever it was (medal or whatever, I don’t recall any more). It drives me crazy too.

I’m playing HL2 now for the first time, and I got to a part in ravenholm that appeared to do it. I didn’t care for it there, though it wasn’t nearly as bad as Goldeneye.

On the latest 1upFM Scooter mentioned that your character’s malaria infection is indeed annoying. I was really afraid that might be the case. Constant debilitation just isn’t fun to me. I’m still planning to get the game, but I’m really not looking forward to getting the fucking malaria shakes while in combat or while swimming. Having not played the game, it’s tough for me to even fathom why giving the player character a debilitation like this was found to be a good idea.