Far Cry 2

Man, I hate that we’re back to a place where the newest, best takes such a gigantic hit with FSAA. :(

That might well be the sort of thing that can be modded out at some point.

I’m sure that’s true, but I’m getting the game for the 360. Obviously the malaria aspect isn’t a deal breaker, I’m just not sure why it was included at all.

Well, I imagine it’s the same reason they included things like weapon jamming. Some people get off on that sort of immersion. Soon we’ll have shooters that require your character to take bathroom breaks and brush his/her teeth.

Sim: Mercenary?

Weapon jamming is something that will happen periodically, so I feel fine with that. But the inclusion of a constant debilitation just doesn’t sound fun or interesting in any way. I’m really curious about the justification for its inclusion.

Also, regarding the weapon jamming, if it’s true that they never jam on the enemies, that’s pretty sheisty.

Tom provided the reason for the malaria in the other thread:

It sounds like a good reason to have it in the game, to me at least. Designers wanting the player to have a structured reason to work for the “good guys” whether you think of yourself as one or not, sounds pretty good.

Thanks Rock8. Also, I just realized that Rock-shift-8 would be Rock*. Coincidence?

I guess it was very important to the devs that you work for the “good guys,” so much so that they made it impossible to play the game and ignore their plight. It’s interesting in that it gives the game player a concrete reason to pursue those missions, other than the simple lure of earning cash. I still would prefer not to have a debilitating illness in my games, but the justification is interesting at least. I’m concerned that it will get in the way of the fun though, as Scooter malaria attacks happening during combat as well as while swimming, which causes drowning. That doesn’t sound fun.

From what I’ve heard those drivers are well worth getting.

It’s downloading on Steam now…

I just can’t decide on PC vs 360. I have gotten to the point where its hard to play PC games in my monitors native 1900x1200 res with my C2D6600 and 8800GT, and the lure of a 46inch 1080p TV just 5 feet from me is so strong.

But mouse and keyboard…they call to me…the siren song…what to do?

According to a link I got from the Steam forums, those new drivers improve DX10 performance even more than DX9. And according to that same link, it appears to be the first game with better fps performance in DX10 than DX9, overall.

And finally, in a piece of good news for those of us with the Stusserbeast, it’s apparently the first game (maybe ever?) to fully exploit the power of quad-core processors. Game ON!

I would say… the PC version ,you can play AND post your impressions in a blink of an eye !

The 360 have a browser?

Sorry for my english.

How big is it?

I’m considering running home for lunch to press the download button so it might be done when I’m done with work.

Looks like about 3.5 gig…it took about an hour for me to download…

…But not for Europe.

It sucks.

Woah. So as someone almost ready to hit the button on buying parts for an upgrade … is dual core officially now behind the curve, and quad the way to go? It’d cost me a good 150$ more for a quad but if farcry2 is just the first of a new breed of quad optimized games…

I’d heard that too, and with a Q6600 myself I was rather happy about it.

If you’re JUST about to buy something, I’d hold off for a week and see what the conclusion is. It may be a bunch of marketing doublespeak again.

Crysis was supposed to use quad-cores too, for something called “framerate stabilization”, but I haven’t heard much more than that, and certainly not that there was much benefit from it.

Definitely wait a week or two, and then ask in the Hardware forum if any of these claims are true.

Well, from what I’ve experienced, they may not be ready for primetime.

I installed the new 180.42 beta drivers and when I tried to start the game, I would just get a black screen with a Windows border around the edge. I could hear the main menu music but I didn’t get any picture. I’m running two Nvidia 8800GT’s in SLI mode on a dual core.

After a lot of experimenting, I finally reverted to the previous beta driver (177.92) and now the game is starting properly. I haven’t played it yet to see how performance looks, but actually being able to get into the game is a nice perk for the older drivers.

I noticed the new drivers enable some kind of PhysX GPU options in the Nvidia control panel… maybe my problem had something to do with that? I dunno.