Far Cry 2

The PhysX stuff is new, allowing for PhysX effects to be handled by your GPU instead of a dedicated card. Running dual 8800GT’s in SLI here myself (on a quad core though), will report back on how (or if) those beta drivers work.

Here’s a supposed fix from one of the message boards…can’t vouch for it myself…

“Somebody probably solved this already. Anyway here’s the fix for that black screen windowed when you first load the game. Go in your (user)\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2 folder and open up GamerProfile.xml.
Find (Maximized=“1”) change it to a 0 and save. Problem solved almost. Now load game and go to options and change dx9 to dx10 and accept then quit game. load game and go back to options and change your resolution to what ever you like then accept and play. Now the 180.42 drivers work great!
PS:I could not enable dx10 and change the resolution at the same time because game would go back to that black window mode.”

Hey, I’m sort of desperate to avoid spoilers and even any more impressions of the gameplay, but I’d still really like to performance-tweak to my heart’s content. Why don’t we move this kind of talk to a Far Cry 2 Technical thread and continue it there. If another thread is unwanted, let it die on the vine; no harm, no foul.

Man, the patrols and checkpoints are really killing it for me so far. Even just driving around on the roads for the first few missions I’m already tired of turning a blind corner, having an enemy jeep smash into me at full speed, and then start raking me with fire from 2 feet away while I have to wait for the “calmly get out of the car” animation before I can even shoot back.

Is it easier to travel at night and by foot?

Got it, played it for about 2 hours. It’s what Boiling Point wanted to be, but much prettier and not horribly broken. Good stuff.

Going at night might be a good idea, I’ll try that, but on foot would take forever.

Travelling at night helps, travelling by water helps a lot. The bus helps the most, but it feels like such a crime to skip all that scenery.

I think I’m near the end now - the game’s just informed me there’s no going back. My thoughts and a few shots up here.

Well it’s good to see my fears of a slow download from steam was unfounded. Grabbed the sucker in less than 20 minutes, now I just need to update my drivers to the new nvidia beta and my safari can begin.

So this is what it’s like to live in a world without punctuation.

I kind-of like the game so far, but the fact that every mission wants me to drive all the way across the map is kind of annoying. I’ll try sticking to the plot missions (now that I know which ones are non-plot missions) and see how it goes…

I’m not digging it nearly as much as I’d hoped I would. Finding lots of little nits to pick, some minor and some damned annoying and very little in the way of anything to make up for it that I couldn’t find elsewhere. I’ll stick with it awhile though.

Also for the record, the beta patch from nvidia did give me a nice performance boost.

I thought you were making fun of me for a second, but another 5 minutes of FarCry and I was laughing out loud. The subtitles appear to be properly punctuated but the first actors you encounter are all obviously past speed reading champs.

Also, the ‘You will be safe at that house.’ line had me in stitches too. No I won’t you stupid git, there are signs all over the place pointing to it, clearly contradicting the very idea it’s meant to embody. It’s only because it tries so hard to be realistic that I keep finding all of these little faults. Don’t get me started on the car repair. Still, seems like a great game so far once I stop nitpicking it to death.

The speed-reading thing is really bizarre. I’m just past the opening train ride - does that acting choice continue through the rest of the game?

I just finished the tutorial section and made a run for a safe house. Speedreadingisstllineffect. I’ve taken to ignoring them and just reading my journal afterwards. Between that and the fact this is the first game that ever made me slightly motion sick, and I think I’m done for the night… but will certainly give it more of a shake tomorrow.

I’m digging it well enough, and am having to battle only against INCREDIBLY high expectations and excitement, which it sounds like Gendal is doing, too!

There’s lots of little things that are unique about it. I like how the map doesn’t reflect road problems like sinkholes and minor diversions. I like how the shadows from the trees and vegetation cover EVERYTHING, visibility of the various doors in the world be damned. I really like looking for diamonds, damn it!

Is there any way to disable enemies’ limbs? I keep trying to shoot their legs to slow them down, but it just seems to hobble them for a moment before they’re running after me again.

There’s something floaty about the controls. I associate it with console-also titles like Bioshock. After playing a lot of Crysis recently, and the incredible amount of body awareness in that game, this is a bit of a step back. I wish you could see your body in this.

Hmmm, there is a good possibility that I just plain suck, but this game is kicking my ass and I’m only playing on normal :) Playing the 360 version, and it seems like it’s impossible to see any enemies, especially when they are in shade; having a hard time hitting anything. Hoping I can get the hang of it. Otherwise, it seems like a pretty damn nifty game so far, although lacking in a few areas. I was driving in my car and being chased by a jeep with a mounted gunner on it, shooting up the back of my car the whole way. To my dissapointment, after stepping out of the car, there was no sign of bullet damage at all on it. It’s details like this that I think GTA4 spoiled my on…

-Chris

The first buddy you get is female, which for some reason made me believe the speed reading was going to be a thing of the past. Nope, that illusion gets dispelled the instant you see her open her mouth and she vomits forth her stream of consciousness.

I bumped up the mouse sensitivity one notch, which helped a tiny bit, but I understand what you are saying completely.

I really do like the game so far, I only nitpick because I love (and it makes me laugh). After the initial launch snafu it’s a very well behaved app that nimbly switches back and forth between full screen and windowed. At least on a Q6600 FarCry2 seems to have about as much of an impact on the rest of my system as notepad does. This is not a crappy console port by any means.

Having fun so far, though all I’ve done is the tutorial stuff. One thing that was fun is that I hit a bridge going a bit fast and almost went overboard. The nose of the car was over the edge. I got out and grabbed nearby car, then came back and pushed my old car over. Now it’s nose down in the river, with it’s back end sticking out. Kind of like that kind of environmental response.

:-)

Not necessarily. The starting conditions (location, weapons, initial buddy) are dynamic based on which character you choose.

I wonder if the weird line reads have anything to do with casting it out of Montreal, if that is indeed the case? For the most part it works for me, since a) dialogue isn’t that frequent, b) I’m in a foreign country, and c) what the hell is up with how people from South Africa talk like they’re doing a bad British accent?

For those of you just starting out, it would really behoove you to visit the armory and do a couple of missions for that guy. Getting reliable weapons early on will make a big difference to the difficulty level.

-Tom