Far Cry 4 confirmed, to be released in Nov 2014

Add a little Mercenaries as well, please, and it will be perfect.

FC2 was Clint Hocking’s baby, and he sorta parted ways with Ubi a while ago, went to LucasArts, and now is at Amazon, working at their game studio.

I think I’m more in love with the concept of Far Cry 2 than actually playing it. I found the bread & butter shooting in FC3 to be quite good, and I imagine FC4 will play it safe in that regard.

Ubi has slowly been taking over the sandbox space. After spending a stupid amount of time with their producers at Pax, these guys are going to dominate the open world space for the next decade. They take the best part of the games that came before them, usually add one or two new systems to the mix, and continually make the sandbox more complex. The Division, The Crew, Far Cry 4, Watchdogs–they will all have influence over each other, and the 2015 games. This is how you do cross studio unified design. Saves money, still able to compete in the AAA space, and then have the ability to champion smaller riskier games like Child of Light, Trials Fusion exc. EA,Activision,WB can all learn a thing or two here.

And don’t forget Valve. It really sucks that he spent so many years across LucasArts and Valve, with nothing released for public to show for it. And now at Amazon, we can only assume he works on something exclusive to Android FireTV, which is about as unappealing as you can get.

Unless you have one (I do) and then it’s kind of exciting.

Looks interesting. I still, um, am working on finishing FC3. I just, today, used a cheat code to get through that damn mission where you have to swim out of a hole and hijack a helicopter. I had tried it a zillion times a year ago, got frustrated, and shelved the game. I used god mode to get through it and then turned off the cheat, so I hope to finish the rest of the game before the next one comes out :).

Whoah, whoah, whoah! There’s a god mode cheat for Far Cry 3?

And speaking of cross studio unified design, The Crew is from the folks who developed Test Drive Unlimited crossed with the folks who developed Driver: San Francisco. That’s a match made in open-world caRPG heaven!

-Tom

Oh snap! I was not aware of this. Watching more closely now.

Yeah, I found it on the Ubi boards, actually, I think, maybe. Here’s one way: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/740908-Cheats-Unlimited-Ammo-God-Mode-Forums
Another way, the way I did it, was to go to Properties, then Set Launch Options, from the Steam Library menu for Far Cry 3. You type in -GameProfile_GodMode 1 (got that from http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/farcry3cheatscodes.html). When I got through the tough part, and hit a checkpoint save, I exited and restarted without the cheat. You can add pretty much any of the GameProfile XML cheats this way I think.

People thought the guy on the cover was Caucasian?

nice location! Finally, something different. My first impression was Afghanistan, but this is even better… mysterious.

People thought he was the player?

Realistic pachyderm simulator.

Via gaf user sjay1994, we have some details about the game in terms of change since Far Cry 3

Jason Brody is dead. Figuratively to ubisoft. The team noticed the response Jason Brody got in FC3, the white saviour critiques, and went through measures to make sure they don’t repeat the mistakes they made with Jason Brody
With Ajay Ghale (FC4 protagonist) Ubisoft wanted to create a character who essentially became a vessel for a player to easily inhabit without people feeling offended, but not so bland that people don’t realize he is there.
Ajay Ghale was designed as the antithesis of Jason Brody and the of “The American”. He is polite, respectful and his background story frames him at the center of the events of the story, rather than it being the fact he is a foreigner.
The structure of the main missions and the story are designed to support the idea of the open world, rather than feel like linear, compartmentalized levels placed in an open world game.
FarCry 4 has a branching narrative Choices you make in the game will change the story. They claim they have jammed in “as much choice and anecdote-generated branches into the main narrative as they could”
This was inspired by talks with the people who liked Farcry 3. People who liked Farcry 3 never praised the story or characters (except Vaas), but rather all the things they did in the open world. This is what ubisoft is really pushing in Farcry 4, for players to create more of their own stories in their game, rather than force one on them.
It was also designed as a callback to FarCry 2. In FC2 a lot of people felt the choices in that game felt meaningless, however in FC4 according to Alex Hutchinson " You are not filling up a bar, there are no rewards attached to it, you are just making choices and changing the game"
There are 7-8 endings in FarCry 4
Clearing a fortress doesn’t make the area safe. Kyrat is in the middle of a civil war, thus enemies never leave. As the game progresses squads will come back into liberated areas and try to take over the outposts (although not to the extent of FC2’s checkpoints), in some cases, Pagan Min will send armored death squads to liberated areas, but they are not after you. Instead they are there to kill civilians, animals and destroy as much as they can. These are very tough encounters, that are optional to the player to engage in.
There is a form of karma system with the NPC’s. If you help the locals out, they will fight along side you and give you discounts at shops, etc. Hutchinson explains it like this “if you are offered the gloves of power in a game, and all you need to do is shoot a baby, he’d probably shot the baby”. The NPC relationship is designed to make you care about NPC’s rather than just ignore them.
You can call on AI allies to help you out. Example, you call a guy to help you take down an armored car. If you steal the car, the AI will take over the turret and start shooting down enemies. If there is no turret, he will get in the passanger seat and will cover you in there.
Blood Dragon had an influence on FC4. Cyber hearts have been replaced with bait, and now you can call animals and draw agro from the enemies.
The team felt silly because they chose to make the AI unable to do some of the basic movements that Jason could do in FC3 (ex: climb Ladders) In FC4, enemies will be able to take advantage of most of the tools and verticality Ajay can.
Edge calls FC4 the first ubisoft open world game to feel fully complete since Assassins Creed 2, and goes further calling it “farcry perfected”

There is a form of karma system with the NPC’s. If you help the locals out, they will fight along side you and give you discounts at shops, etc. Hutchinson explains it like this “if you are offered the gloves of power in a game, and all you need to do is shoot a baby, he’d probably shot the baby”. The NPC relationship is designed to make you care about NPC’s rather than just ignore them.
You can call on AI allies to help you out. Example, you call a guy to help you take down an armored car. If you steal the car, the AI will take over the turret and start shooting down enemies. If there is no turret, he will get in the passanger seat and will cover you in there.

I find that part very interesting. I liked Far Cry 3 but I found weird the allied AI militia always came to the outpust when it was liberated, and there was no set of missions where you attacked together an outpost or side missions where you have to help defend an allied outpost that is under a counter-attack.

Oh, and this is hilarious

“With Ajay Ghale (FC4 protagonist) Ubisoft wanted to create a character who essentially became a vessel for a player to easily inhabit without people feeling offended, but not so bland that people don’t realize he is there.”

I can see them sitting in a table brainstorming trying to make another bland Ubisoft character used in Ubisoft open world game, “blank slate” style as they confess, who is also somehow not bland enough for being panned for the blandness in the reviews.
Just imagine them sweating trying to guess the correct ratio of blandness.

This sounds real interesting.

Probably my most anticipated Q4 release. I loved both FC2 and FC3 for the different experiences they offered. Glad to see they are trying to remedy the mistakes they made in 3.

-Todd

I’ll give this one a chance based on the things they’re talking about here. Even if it still has a giant radar and glowing theme park rides every 30 yards, I can live with it if they get everything else right.

Oh Tim, you know you’ll be able to mod out the ghastly minimap.

(I’m in because whee sandbox)