Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

I’m laughing because I’m doing the same thing. I’m not sure how I missed it? Someone linked the survival mode above and I decided to pick it up as well. I promptly got my ass handed to me in survival, so I stepped back to story mode for a bit. Its a fun and unique play on the Far Cry style of game. In fact it doesn’t really feel like the series at all, but rather a pretty solid primitive survival game set in a unique setting.

I’m about to go get the shaman. Woot!

I liked 2 & 3 but bounced off 4 because of the Ubisoft busy shite and lack of restart options in games. Saw a review which said that Primal was the best in the franchise after #3 and after all these comments, I’m wondering whether it’s worth getting and giving a shot?

I’m sure we have a thread on it somewhere. Watch a video or two. It’s not quite what you expect from a Far Cry game (guns, crazy missions, etc.) It takes that same style though and maps it into a primitive man game. Unlike the stories from prior Far Cry games, this one works well (so far.) I know a lot of people here loved the survival mode versus story mode. Other than that I’m not far along enough to know much about the gameplay in it.

Primal seems–I’m not far along either–sort of like taking the environment from a later Far Cry game (gorgeous, full of wildlife and crafting stuff, ambient AI controlled action) and stripping away 90% of the later Far Cry standard gameplay (a good thing, this, IMO). Instead, you are a dude, with a spear, a bow, and a club, the ability to start a fire, and the task to find the remainder of your people and build up your settlements. Your enemies are two other tribes of rather unsavory primitives, plus the local fauna. The game seems to focus a lot on finding out what you need to make, finding the materials, and overcoming the challenges inherent in doing both.

So far, it’s really cool. I am playing on Normal difficulty, in normal mode, so that when I die I respawn at a spawn point (there is quick saving too). You can try it with various combos of difficulty, including permadeath, but I think that might be best left for a Newgame+ experience. Survival mode looks cool, but I was worried it would be too much like Misery for STALKER: Call of Pripyat, so I decided to wimp out.

You REALLY should try to play in Survival mode. This takes away the excessive amounts of wildlife and stuff happening all around you, and makes it a tranquil, albeit deadly forest. Nights are harder as well, and certain skills that more or less invalidate the game, is taken away.
The bad thing is, that the game has a few pathing issues regarding your pets, and if losing one such infuriates you, well…then its probably not a good idea. Its just sooooo much better in Survival.

Personally, I love the hardcore version of it as well, where you have two lives at best, but thats discretionary I understand.

edit: added “try to” to make it kinda less commanding that you play it my way.

Wait, people are actually watching the shows on TV? V bc

Far Cry 5 , Murrica!

I want this game after that Gamespot things you need to know video (especially the removal of crafting via animal skins). Just not sure I want it $50 badly though.

Watching these 3 guys play the same area, 3 different ways is amazing. I am going to play Primal this week, as soon as 5 hits a decent sale I am grabbing it.

Aww, man, until I followed your conversation backwards, I was thinking you meant that Far Cry 5 had a survival mode. :(

It’s amazing what a difference that made in Primal, isn’t it? But so far, the balls-out action nonsense feels appropriate enough in Far Cry 5. I’m not sure it necessarily needs a survival mode, but if it had one, I’d definitely try it.

-Tom

What a weird quote in that review above.

Respawning guard checkpoints does it for most folks, but honestly I don’t know what he might actually be referring to.

E: No idea why folks can’t both guess why AND relate though.

I don’t think it’s a matter of popular consensus so much as a matter of people who whine loudly making the most noise. :) I understand that Far Cry 2 doesn’t work for some people – wumpus should be along shortly to decry guns that jam! – but I don’t understand how anyone with any critical insight into game design can deny that it’s brilliant and unique.

-Tom

That’s a great video, thanks for sharing. So stoked for this game!

So if anyone is playing this (Tom?), any general impressions or is it still under some embargo?

I saw some gameplay videos and it seems like another reskin of FC3.

My favourite was Far Cry 2 because of its emphasis on immersion, I loved the gun jamming, the ingame hand held map, the lack of millions of types of collectibles and tower climbing and all that typical Ubi nonsense.

How is FC5 at this stuff and how are the sidequests and writing?

If I like the game enough, I’d like to try survival mode at some point. But at the moment, I’m digging the laid-back approach. Given how I get eaten by bears a lot, it’s probably for the best.

That video was hilarious. I loved it. Hell, this should be the commercial for the game. “Play your way.”

Everyone I know feels the same way, myself included. Honestly I fell in love originally with Idle Thumbs because those guys talked a lot about Far Cry 2 back in the day and I could listen to their stories for hours. Such a cool game, and so unique and inspired for the time. So, I don’t think loving FC2 is unpopular, no. ;)

I loved FC 2. It had a really good feel to it, across the board. Even the silly malaria stuff was bearable. Certainly more satisfying than the mutant monkeys in FC 1.

So I’ve grabbed both FC3 and FC4 on Steam sales, but haven’t actually played either yet–if I had to pick just one, is there a consensus favorite?