Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

Nothing to make it stand out from the others, but it was worth playing. 3’s still my favourite, followed by 4 and Primal.

Enjoyed it too at the time, but with hindsight far too linear.

My friend and I finished it in co-op, had a grand old time. Some annoying unskippable bits but they’re minor.

Only ever played the Far Cry’s single player. Imagine co-op adds a good bit of extra planning, fun and general wackiness. Oh to have friends ;)

Have…you…played a Far Cry game…?

“I plan to shoot up that outpost!”
“I plan to run over everyone I see on the road!”
“I plan to fly this plane to… nevermind, I crashed.”

Fair point.

Am I unique? I actually took my time in scoping out outposts, paying attention to guard locations, patrol routes, dogs, etc. Forget the story, my most enjoyment was in clearing an outpost without being spotted.

Maybe I should just go back to playing the original Thief games.

Nah I’m kidding, we did the same too with outposts, it’s just in FC the chaos seems more fun.

I think you’re mixing Far Cry up with Just Cause ;)

The chaos in Far Cry games is more focused and less deliberate extreme than in Just Cause games, I would say. I mean, there is no “chaos meter” in FC at least. But FC 5 and the stand-alone follow up are both very fun IMO.

Except for the Twins :(

Eh, even then, well worth the time.

Everyone forgets Blood Dragon

Very true! I even have it installed and played for about 30min and STILL forgot about it… Seemed like it was going to be fun retro romp, but somehow I just got distracted and never returned!

Free play weekend for this game, on Ubisoft Connect, the Epic Games Store, Stadia, PlayStation, and Xbox.

The Olympics are still going on, so I probably will not get any time to try it. Really bad timing by Ubisoft.

Only if you care about the Olympics.

I played for a couple of hours just now. Played through the intro, liberated the opening island, and caused some havoc in John Seed’s area. Picked up a dog companion. I’m enjoying it quite a bit.

I really enjoyed it, though as with all the FC games there are elements that are less enjoyable than others. In this case, it’s the ludicrous way the game will take away control and force you through sequences to make their story work. I do appreciate what they are trying to do with the narrative, in a lot of ways, but as a gameplay mechanic it’s kind of annoying.

Most of the side quests are pretty cool, though some are the sort that once you start them you kind of have to finish them right then, as if you go too far from the location it auto-fails. But in general, it’s a very good landscape to run around in, and the moment to moment gunplay and stuff is great. It gets a little rote by the end, as you are geared up the wazoo, but that’s par for the course as well.

It really is. I’m surprised that they made sneaking up to take out enemies from behind pretty fun. But they don’t hold your hand and make it too easy like in some games. They usually have people arranged in a way that you’ll usually get spotted after the second, if not the first, enemy.

I grabbed a shotgun at the first opportunity. The only problem is getting close to people first, but then BAM. So good. I kind of love trying to stay under cover, and then run and slide to get close enough to shotgun them.

Heck even the machine guns feel good. That’s usually the type of guns that are too generic feeling in most games and are the most boring.