Far Cry 5 - Hope springs eternal

Helos I loved. Fixed-wing I hated; I used to play flight sims and had nice joystick setups, but these days it’s all mouse and keyboard, and I just can’t fly with those in most of these games. Same with the fixed-wing supply stealing missions in Wildlands. I do have a controller, and it is somewhat easier if I plug that in for the planes at least.

But the helos…love the helos. Which is weird because, back when I was doing flight sims, actual helo sims were harder usually.

simplified helos != actual helos lol.

A nice in-between that will have you pulling every hair on your head is the DCS Ka-50 which has an autopilot system that is intended to make it fly almost like a simplified game helo but doesn’t, mostly at times when you need it to. Much fun to tame :)

A lot of the fun is your companions. If you aren’t using them, you are missing out on a lot of the charm the game has to offer. The game doesn’t help by giving you some of the dullest ones first.

Actually I haven’t used them much so maybe I should make that more of a focus. I did call in the plane guy for my plane battle with one of the 3 main baddies.

I stuck with the animal companions. I couldn’t stand the inane commentary over and over and over. All the ‘pussy’ jokes when you had peaches in your party drove me nuts. Are we all 11 year old boys? Also the animal companions rock in their own right. I think the only human companion I liked was Nick.

I took the two women, the sniper and angry bow girl. I wish they’d double down on companions and give them more dialog etc.

Peaches & Cheeseburger = Dream Team. Absolute outpost wreckers.

No great surprise that Far Cry 6 is expected within a year, going by indirect comments on an investor call.

Does any care much about Far Cry now? It would be nice if it got an AC-like makeover. For now it’s the first person, wacky one, where Wildlands is the 3rd person, po-faced one. They could add first person to Wildlands and I’d be fine…

Well, Breakpoint was essentially a non-wacky Far Cry. I love Far Cry games, and I’d be happy with FC 5 mechanics in a brand new and equally cool setting.

I really enjoyed the last two Far cry games. I would like them to evolve them a bit, but overall I really did like them.

Yup, my GF and I played and completed both the latest two Far Cry together. Awesome time!

Next Far Cry’s gotta be set in Australia, right? Cool, varied environments, First Nations struggles, dingoes, etc. Seems tailormade.

Hadn’t heard of Oz yet, but sure, sounds like fun, I’m in!

Was R6 Vegas their only franchise that used the hybrid FPS/third-person cam? That was great.

Far Cry 5 was ok, new Dawn was a bit better. But Far Cry Primal remains my favorite game of the series to date.

Their third person stuff usually supports 1st person for aiming right? I wonder if it’s a technical or design decision to have different approaches per series.

Was it the lack of the “bliss bullets” nonsense?

Yep, that was a total shit choice by the developers to get the story to progress in FC5.

And then to have it happen, what like 9 or was it 10 times in the damn game?

This is now on sale for $11.99 on steam. I know from following the thread that this received somewhat middling reviews.

Having played all the other FC games, and mostly liked them (though FC1 is weirdly still my favorite, but that might be due to how new it felt at the time to have such expansive maps in an FPS), is this the time to add this to my backlog so I might get to it next year?

I really enjoyed 5 myself. It’s the same formula, has some annoying bits, but overall is a fun time.