Far Cry 6 - Giancarlo Esposito and guns, guns, guns

The free Stranger Things DLC was cool. Any one of the rogue-like villain episodes is fine, but there’s honestly no reason to do all three unless you’re a super fan of the characters since they’re basically the same.

Enjoying this way more than FC5 , also they sure hand out the goodies fast in this, I feel like I am a super soldier with that backpack and pet.

Flamethrower sucks , too short a distance and I end up lighting myself on fire. :P

I liked the game, though whether I liked it as much as 5 or not is hard to say. Despite the bizarre stuff in 5, and the forced loss of control episodes, I thought FC 5 tried to do something different with the story and took some risks. Also, rednecks. FC 6 is a very good FC experience, and I liked the main character far more than most (FC 5’s character was ok too, but FC 3 and 4 in particular had horribad main characters). Kind of didn’t like the stupid “Supremo” backpack thing, but loved the gator.

The chests you open once you find 2 randomly placed photos in an area are so freaking dumb.

Ubi was like how can we make chest opening more horrible, and this was the top pick.

Came across this stash yesterday. Worth millions no doubt.

Also the game likes to randomly crash when I take a screenshot.

I never had more fun playing a game than I had with FC6 utilizing my murderous pets and siccing 'em on enemies. Though it sounds on paper almost criminally stupid, I was particularly fond of the psychedelic psycho chicken that made even cassowaries seem kind and docile. I loved that you had to earn most of your deadlier pets and weren’t just given them. I really should play the DLC and new game+ now that I can really enjoy it in 4K on my 65" OLED TV…

FC 6 benefits I think from being unapologetically a Far Cry game. It is what it is with no pretense, and what it is is pretty damn fun.

Agreed. I loved my time with it (except for the brief sewers BS) and it was hella fun. Contrasting with FC5 – which I just grabbed for XSX – it’s like a playground vs a funeral. FC5 just feels so damned serious a lot of the time.

I loved FC 5 too, despite the funereal air and often failed attempts at doing something narratively different. I think the dark undertones give it a sort of elegiac feel perhaps.

I really hate vehicles in this game, I wish I could replace the call a car, with call for a horse.

60% of the main story complete, its very meh.

Taking over checkpoints and military bases remains a lot of fun. :)

Well, yeah. That’s the Ubi Seal of Quality right there, taking over bases, shooting stuff, roaming around the world. Everything else is sort of a grab bag.

The story in FC 6 had potential, and isn’t terrible, but I think it gets muddled a bit by the split between the old and the new revolution. I guess they are trying to add some nuance to the traditional narrative by highlighting how the folks who overthrew the bad guys were not very good at actually leading the country. At the same time, the player and their band of modern-day guerillas has none of the Marxist baggage that the old guard toted along, but also doesn’t seem to have any more of an idea of what to do if they win either. The bad guy is certainly an evil bastard, but he does have a plan of sorts, and in his own way is sincere about his vision of prosperity. The whole thing ends up being, perhaps realistically I guess, a muddled mess. Makes for interesting commentary maybe but doesn’t do much for gameplay.

With the game being less than 15 bucks in some places (right now, Fanatical, for example), and several years have passed since I played Far Cry 5 (and having a new computer raring to go against games with good graphics also helps), I’ve been playing this for the last two weeks.
Weird choice I know, me playing the forgotten Far Cry 6 which never got great scores while others play the hyped (and highly rated!) Baldur’s Gate 3.

At first I liked it more than I expected. It looks very nice, it performs decently, it has a even greater variety of weapons than the previous Far Crys, the idea of the equipment (legs, chests, helmet, boots) as part of the loot/rewards makes it a bit more RPG and they have unique effects so it’s interesting, in addition of meaningful weapon upgrades, and it has decent QoL changes like not having stupid animations to skin animals (in fact the whole hunting animals aspect has been reigned in) or being able to sky dive from any fast point travel point.
It even has some enemy variety beyond ‘basic soldier’. Engineers can put automatic turrets, heavies deploy shields in the ground, medics can heal downed enemies, etc. They also tried to flesh out a bit the stealth part of the game, with cameras in addition to alarm posts, and trip wires.

Perhaps the most striking part has been the RPG/GTAfication of what was before a more straightforward FPS. There are more ‘quest givers’ npcs you talk with and do missions. You aren’t automatically hostile to the enemies, if you have your weapon not drawn in. You drive around to the quest area, and then get out before the “police” (well, here the military) reinforces it. Some of the NPCs are, let’s say, very colorful, and they include doing wacky quests for them. Not unlike a FPS GTA.
Speaking of, writing wise, the game is so dumb. Then again after a while I understood it wasn’t a game to take seriously, with the whole ‘punk revolutionaries dancing to music in an eternal party’ vibe they go with. Or, you know, missions like the one with the crazy rooster they give you.

However it all goes to nothing, because eventually the game has a capital flaw. It is boring. Because it is too easy. Once you have two decent weapons with addons (one for soft targets, the other for armored ones) and a rocket launcher as the third weapon (for the enemy choppers) , and you level up after the first dozen hours (I suspect there is too a soft-auto level thing, the world will level up to your level-5 as a minimum, and damage has some kind of scaling that depends on the level, I get less damage now than at the start of the game), the game is trivial. Because there is plenty enough side content to be over leveled for the rest of it. You also learn with time how effective is to shoot people in the face. No, seriously, with a decent sidearm pistol with good accuracy and rof you can conquer entire bases, the headshot damage is high and it bypass armor, why would you need assault rifles!
And funnily enough, despite the game having plenty accessibility settings, they haven’t included the the option to go from Medium difficulty to Hard. Hard difficulty is ‘exclusive’, and can be only selected at the start of the game. ** Great Idea Ubisoft!! **

Of course it has also other flaws, after the first 15 hours the game has been revealed itself as formulaic, as any other Ubisoft game, so together the difficulty issue it gets less enticing to continue playing.

Thanks for the write up. Next time I play, if I play it again, I’ll try to restart the game on Hard. I only got to the mission where you get your alligator companion, so I was still very early in the game last time they had a free preview weekend.

Well put.

The issue a lot of recent Ubisoft games have is that they’re so afraid of pushing back against the player and alienating their audience that they end up sanding down any spikes or valleys. It’s that alternating experience that give most games their enjoyable rhythm. You want to feel ultra-badass sometimes and you want to skate by on the skin of your teeth at other times. But the balance is all off in favor of the player. You hoover up materials and XP and nothing really challenges you. As a consequence, Ubisoft games like AC: Valhalla, Far Cry 6, Watch Dogs Legion, The Crew 2, etc feel very monotonous after the opening acts.

There’s nothing mechanically wrong with any of the individual parts in Far Cry 6, (well, except at launch you couldn’t change ammo types on the fly) it’s just that as a whole the game turns into this bland autopilot experience.

What ticks me off in general is how the industry has gone a bit to the extremes. Games that market themselves as “Brutal!” or punishing! (I’ve seen that in several steam pages of indie games with these terms) or of course Soul clones, while others go to the other extreme and in their merry way to try to be as painless and smooth (and bland) as possible.

I’m more of a guy of Golden mean, so this trend effectively reduces the number of games available to me.
Never mind the trend of games barely have 2 or 3 difficulties (IF they have! looking at you Deathloop), it seems we have lost the technology to have more, as in the 90s games. Because I also have found games with huge gaps between Normal and Hard. It is pitiful to think how some game devs can spend 3 or 4 years developing a game, and then it all goes to waste because they didn’t spend two days of development to put one or two difficulties more.

While it doesn’t excuse a boring game, I think it’s good to remember that Far Cry 6 and a bunch of other recent-ish Ubi and non-Ubi games had their final year of development done during the beginning of the Covid lockdown, which people really didn’t know how to remotely collaborate in constructive ways. The game should have been more engaging, but I do think it was a struggle to get it out the door at all, in some ways.

I think most of those criticisms are valid. I played this and was having fun even though it was probably too easy, but I rage quit because a required main story mission deep in the game is essentially unwinnable. Even on the easiest setting. It involves a rescue. After failing it a dozen times, I checked the hive mind and found a LOT of people having the same issue.

Didn’t Myth and Myth II have at least four difficulty settings? Easy Medium Hard and Legendary?

Don’t know what this was but I’m fairly sure it was winnable.

Name of the mission is “Sundown”. Let us know how it goes for you.