Far Cry: New Dawn - It's Far Cry 5.5

The reason I play the FC games is the well implemented coop. I never play them solo, my brother and I have a blast playing them together.

I love open world games, I’d love just a regular flood of Skyrim’s and RDR2s and Witcher 3 successors. But since I’m PS5 it looks like the Bethesda stuff is over for me, and none of them have coop (I don’t count RDO, I’m talking the main game - I would pay a lot for the main RDR2 game with Coop and same for Witcher.) So the FC world is the only real open world free form coop games I can see. (Skipped FC Primal because no coop.)

We have similar tastes and go way back, and probably similar restraints on availability, so would love to play some coop in any open world games (or any RPGs) if interested, so keep me in mind if more players are practicable

Hey @Desslock! Man it has been a LONG time! ;)

WTH is up with Ubisoft games and full screen? I installed Ghost Recon Wildlands and started the game up, and got the game in a window. I had to change the INI file to fix that. Now I just started Far Cry New Dawn and I have the same problem - the game starts in a window on my desktop. Unfortunately the fix doesn’t seem as straight forward. Any idea as to how to fix this - and why the heck do Ubisoft games do this. Why can’t they just start in full screen like every other game I have?!

Edit: Never mind, I was in the end able to go into the ini file and change the mode to Full Screen but why do I have to do that to begin with? It’s just stupid.

I’ve never had to do that. Very odd.

Yeah, but on Wildlands it seemed to be common enough that there was discussion about it, not so much New Dawn, but the solution was the same. Strange . . .

With Wildlands and I think the Division games, when I started the games and didn’t touch my mouse while the game started up it would go into fullscreen mode. However if I carried on futzing around on my second screen while I was waiting, then the game would go into window mode. Perhaps thats what was happening for you?

No, I also wondered about that and made sure not to touch my mouse, it was an INI file issue, once I changed the INI to full screen mode, it worked fine.

That said, FCND reminds me of all the reasons that I have mixed feelings about Far Cry games. The game look is pretty repetitive with the whole capture outpost thing, and I am not a fan of gaining perk points by completing challenges as it forces, IMO, a totally artificial style of play, forcing me to use weapons that I really don’t want to. And the map is just too busy, with patrols from both sides, animal attacks, etc. It could stand being toned down a bit. And more weapon customization/mods would be better than their weapon level system.

I do like some things. The base building is interesting, and so are the expeditions for a fun change of pace. And hijacking fuel trucks can be fun the first few times, as well as the fights than can develop along the roads (though there are too many of them, so they lose their specialness).

So it’s a fun game, though a bit repetitive, but not a great game. I think the formula is getting a bit stale, at least for me.

It’s notable that none of the major gameplay changes in ND made it to Far Cry 6 other than the progression in your home base.

Enemies being vulnerable to different ammo is technically in FC6 but in truth you just want to use armor-piercing the entire game. That’s a good thing, it sucked. Leveled enemies are gone, another plus. Plus #3, pullet sponge enemies are gone, if you tap a fool in the head with an AP bullet he’s worm food. Plus #4, weapon mods are back. And a minus, the system where you can give up outposts and clear them again at higher difficulty is gone (sadly, I liked that one).

Realized I had this from some sale or giveaway years ago and just started playing.

Man, I know it’ll get tired in a couple of hours, but I truly do love the core Far Cry gameplay loop. Explore through open world jank, wolverines fighting tanker trunks and whatnot, then sneak up on an outpost and click on people’s heads from 1000 feet away. So damn good.

Also it doesn’t have the stupid FC6 progression system. You get skills by spending perk points in the UI, not wearing a specific pair of pants. Only real innovations in FC6 I miss are how all the bad guys aren’t immediately hostile, and the unmuted protagonist.

Antagonists are annoying though, sorta like the horrid BL3 villains but less so. Exact same deal too, “edgy” twins.

Yeah, I really enjoyed my 6 hours or so with the game before my Ubisoft+ sub ran out the time that I played it. I think upthread I called it Fallout 4 but with much better animations, and much more beautiful world, and much better shooting mechanics.

Until now I’ve really enjoyed the FC series, but somehow 6 just doesn’t want to work for me. The respawns are too unbalanced / frequent, the progression like you say isn’t as good… I don’t know, maybe I have just gotten tired of the formula?

I really lost interest in 6, when you get to the main city and the map becomes super walled off and made the game feel like a corridor shooter.

Doesn’t feel like F4 at all to me, other than being post-apocalyptic. It feels like another Far Cry game. Every couple of years I’m down for that.

New Dawn is a pretty solid somewhat more compact (that is, less sprawling at least) spinoff from 5, and I enjoyed it a lot. Other than, yeah, the baddies, who are bleh, and the end levels stuff which were sort of annoying. Otherwise some tight fun gameplay.

Indeed, I’m enjoying it so far, scratches that very particular Far Cry itch. If you already own it too and enjoy Far Crys, this is another Far Cry that will give you the same dopamine hit as every other Far Cry. Install it and pop some heads.

I spent half an hour trying to “clean out” one location in the starting area before I realized that it was designated as one that could not be cleared. Very annoying in a game literally based on clearing outposts.

On topic: replayed this on my PS5 a while back. A really good iteration, the length felt right, it lacked most of the tone problems the original had, there was a gameplay reason to cede back outposts, and the expeditions were a nice diversion. Too bad they tossed most of those ideas in 6.

Oh you mean in the intro with the train? That was a bit hinky, yeah. Usually they have infinite bad guys chasing you, but in this case you had to actually run through them to the destination, at which point a cutscene plays.

Actually it was one of the forts on the starter island. Man was I confused when they just kept coming – forts are clearable, right? Or maybe I’m just hard-headed. Can’t rule that out.

What starter island? Are you thinking of a different game?