Far Cry: New Dawn - It's Far Cry 5.5

And Wildlands is Anvil Next (AC engine) and WD is Disrupt, which should be I guess different from those. Ubi seems to spend a lot of time on mantaining several different engines.

I don’t think those are different engines in the way other people use the word. The wing mirrors and brake lights might be different but the ubiengine is universal :)

Yup - I have seen some reused assets from Primal ,in a few other games. Also game systems, are obvious if you have played all the ubigames over a period of time.

Its not a bad thing - Actually, I think its pretty awesome and why they can make such massive worlds.

Yeah. There are always trade-offs and I think Ubi handles them pretty well.

Isn’t there a Watchdogs thread somewhere?

I just got past this part! Interested to see if the tone changes now. I expect not but it was a weird sequence.

Edit: Sorry Grifman!

Helpful links:

I love open world stuff, and Ubi’s in particular, but I had some trouble getting in to the original Watch Dogs, which I only tried the other day. Beyond the controls and general sluggish feel of things, I just had zero empathy for the main character and zero interest in his milieu.

Back to New Dawn. I was expecting more Fallout 4 vibe but it is too dense. You can’t walk 10 paces without something happening. Is it too much to expect similar size of map as RDR2? How about just Fallout 4 map size? Nope that ain’t happening, says Ubi.

And locations are all samey. It is the exact same problem with Breakpoint, so many icons on the map but most of them are just like one another.

I notice that this game is on sale for $14.99 and I’m a bit tempted, but I’m also noticing that I can get this together with Far Cry 5 for $19.99 which does seem like a deal. I’m not totally sold on Far Cry 5, I’m more interested in New Dawn, should I just stick with that or say heck with it, one more game for $5 more is a worth it so why not?

I liked Far Cry 5 a lot more than New Dawn.

I liked both games, and New Dawn has a bit of closure for the story in FC 5. I think they are both worth playing, I am not sure which game was better although I did like the super powers you get in New Dawn a lot.

If you can get both games for $20 vs just one for $15, I think its definitely worth spending the extra $5.

We’re going through New Dawn in co-op right now and it’s a blast. For me it’s been worth it for one weapon: buzzsaw launcher.

Far Cry feels like work to me. By the time I was halfway through Far Cry 4 I felt like I never wanted to play another Far Cry.

That’s how I’ve felt my experiences in the FC world. FC3 felt really good up until the end, because it WASN’T the end.
Me: “YAY! I killed the bad guy!”
FC: "OK, so there’s this other island, right?"
Me: “Dammit!”

And FC5 is the only other game I’ve played but I felt almost the same way after beating the first brother.

I agree that everything after Vaas left the stage was anticlimactic. Was discussing that w/ one of the boys the other day. I don’t think they never made the mistake of dealing with the most charismatic adversary before the actual end of the game again.

I just stopped at the moment, because it looked to me like it was just more Far Cry 3, and I had enough, time for a new game.

I love this article about FC3 and it makes total sense.

God reading that makes me NOT wanna stream FC3. We were thinking of streaming it co-op once we were done with New Dawn but now I dunno…

I’ve just finished Far Cry 5 and I think it’s totally fine unambitious action adventure. Perfect size - even FC3 felt too padded to me. Great graphics and atmosphere. Shit story. Evil creeps are creepy enough, maybe even too much - I could do with fewer descriptions of newborn murder - but it gets the job done and makes you want to fight the bad guys.

I think Ubisoft is on the right track. I liked Assassins Creed Valhalla less than Odyssey (which, in my humble opinion, is one of the best action games ever), but it’s still fine. It seems that even Bethesda doesn’t want to make Skyrim anymore so I’m fine with Ubisoft making diet coke versions of Skyrim but in history or with guns.

I think I’ll skip New Dawn cause FC6 is right around the corner. It seems to want to make villains as good as FC3 and 4.