Far Cry: New Dawn - It's Far Cry 5.5

OK found prosperity, went outside the gates, realized you don’t fight the Bison (LOL!) and found the first stash, Feels like FC again. I will say it feels like a cartoon after playing RDR2 so much, but a fun cartoon. Waiting for my brother in another state to get started so we can play coop.

The saw launcher is the enemy of all. But yet so awesome I cannot NOT use it. I am 1 more expedition away from upgrading it to Elite status.
Going hunting with it is so OP.

I started with the saw launcher, of course, but switched to an SVD for the ability to snipe. Since I can’t carry the SVD and the saw launcher at once right now, is the saw launcher a better overall weapon in the early game?

Prosperity stage 2 and I’m gaming it a bit. I’ve upgraded everything to level 2 so I need another story mission to advance. In the meantime I’ve gotten all the audio quests done, all but one of the picture quests done and done the challenges for all but the master weapons. The hardest weapon to get past was the slingshot. I found if I could sneak up on enemies, one face shot with that thing would do the trick, but anything else would barely hit them. Also a minor tip: don’t use the flamethrower on the side of a vehicle to try to get the driver to come out.

My hardest fight by far was the rare buffalo. Good lord that thing whipped me all over the place. I got lucky that there was a mortar nearby and I used that to my advantage, along with darting around terrain a lot and training it over some highwaymen a few times. That was an epic fight.

Just finished this. Good and very fun game and it’s a shame there won’t be a sequel as a Far Cry side game.

I’m in the last bits of the story, having tried the final or near-final confrontation and gotten my ass whipped. So I’m going back, upgrading Prosperity’s benches to 3, and crafting all the high end weapons I might need, before trying again.

Some of the stuff in the game is pretty dark, though, and it definitely lets you know it’s not an RPG, as you have zero choice just like in FC 5.

I’m not at your point but I hit the northern area and initial quests there and it gave me depressing flashbacks of the FC5 story. I can feel where this story is going but I hope I’m wrong. I just have a large distaste for everything religious cult related. I hope wherever they go in the next installment that we’re back to overthrowing governments or rescuing travel partners.

Well, 5.5 doesn’t go as far down the rabbit hole as 5, at least. You do get a more nuanced view of things, but there is still a definite sense that the writers are trying to get you to rethink your assumptions and are still trying a bit too hard for that edgy feel. Still, the “Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now” sequence up north is pretty interesting at least.

The Twins, though, are seriously messed up. You get some hints during the cutscenes about their upbringing that help explain some things, but man, a lot of the stuff is really hard to watch.

Any survival elements in this? If not I bet they turn up soon in the series…

Not yet. @Alistair

Overall my progress has been going really well. I just made it to chapter 3, all outposts and companions unlocked. Prosperity maxed out. Working on getting a few more Elite weapons.

Hope to finish it up this week.

None at all, which seems strange since you can hunt and fish and particularly the New Dawn setting lends itself to surviving a bit more than Far Cry 5 did.

Given that your companions cannot die (one even shouts “Good thing death only happens to other folk!” or something like that), and that you can be revived by a pig when you get shot up, I’m not sure how well having to eat and drink would fit in here.

Maybe the settlements would ‘survive?’

A lot of RPG’s have adopted the same no death for followers game rule, so I wouldn’t hold that to Ubisoft as a miss here. But I’d enjoy doing more for the settlement than just bringing back ethanol. What if they required me to hunt/fish for extra food or fill up and carry water back in a truck or similar?

I could see it as adding more quest and task variance, even if you, the player, don’t have to do anything new. The game also has day and night cycles, so I guess sleeping or rest might be a thing too.

Besides maps, has anyone modded FC5 at all, or is that even a thing with Far Cry games?

The key mechanic here is that “ethanol” is really XP. You’re leveling up your character. And yes, it would be neat if there was multiple ways to earn XP.

There are multiple ways, though none as good as taking/retaking an outpost.

Other sources of ethanol:

Tanker Truck Hijacking
Securing Air Drops
Highwaymen scavengers (they have a red wolf icon)

The advancement system, split between ethanol and challenges for perks, is pretty decent. There are also raw materials you need for high-end stuff, which can only be achieved through Expeditions or Outpost recaptures on higher levels. I think overall it works better than most FC games, in that I’m still working to get all the weapons I want to use, or get upgrades for them. I do think that the final set of battles seems to be gated somewhat by level of gear/companions, and by choice of companions, but it’s not well communicated.

So finished it. Dunno if I will prowl around and try to get all the unlocks (photos, music, that last spring or gear from some obscure place) or not. The final two fights were tough, though the penultimate one was kind of fun with the right gear. The final one, not so much, just sort of a “take a club, hit Wrath, and whack” sort of thing. The ending though does do a good job of wrapping up one of the loose ends from FC 5 (well, if you choose to go that route).

Overall, very nicely done, very entertaining, and makes me want to replay FC 5 sort of, except I will I’m sure resent the lack of the improvements from 5.5.

I wonder if Tom might consider non-request Friday with this game.

For what it’s worth I answered my own question above. Apparently there are mods for FC5 and one of the most recommended is one that affects resistance points, my biggest gripe with FC5.

I think due to that I may replay it after New Dawn.