Far Cry Primal - In prehistoric eras, they still had towers to climb

Not familiar with the Survival mode, but the base game was obviously similar to the FC formula, but also included the base building from Ass Creed (3?) where you collect followers who each bring bonuses to your skills.

Overall highly recommendable!

Replace guns with bow and spears, jeeps with tigers.

Survival is not the same as other survival games - Its more a change of how the game works. Taking away some of the overpowered skills, and dialing back on the insane amount of stuff happening in the world, making it a more calm, deadly world. Nights are suddenly more dangerous since the beasts that are out are more dangerous as well.
I really really recommend it.

I should’ve said more accurately that permadeath is not my thing. I assume that’s an inextricable part of survival mode?

Not at all 🙂 I like it, but you can play survival mode normally.

You get something like 400 Ubisoft Bux for beating the game on Hardcore (permadeath) Survival mode as I remember it.

As for permadeath, there’s also a ‘Second Chance’ mode, where you can die once but not a second time until you’ve reset the second chance (by progressing the completion percentage of the game- mostly by moving the main story along). I found it a nice happy medium between normal and PD modes when playing on the (superior) Survival mode.

I picked this up a while back, and I fired it up just now, choosing Survivor/Permadeath/Expert.

I died to the mammoth in what I assume is the tutorial.

Walk free, Wenja.

Haha. I highly recommend the 'Second Chance " option, or whatever they called it. It’s like permadeth, but you can rez once… and reset that chance after a while. But definitely play on Survival mode. Much, much better.

oh yes…It is such a great game, especially with these options! Personally, though, I find expert to be rather difficult. But difficult can be fun too!

Wow! I wish more publishers rewarded players for gitting gud.

Man, there is no way I would ever play this on permadeath, at least not the first time. After getting mauled by wolves in the first mission (surprise! your torch runs out) I have been punked by this stupid ocelot or whatever three times on the next one. The first two times it snuck up behind me with no warning (it’s a hunting cat!) and the third time it just chased me all the way across a river, even though it had a perfectly good meal of a guy it had just killed on the other side.

How do you titillate an ocelot? Oscillate its tit a lot…

That’s my only contribution :)

Did you play on Survival? There are far less animals there - its a much better experience, permadeath or not, to my mind.

Without survival, it just extremely busy, like recent far cry games were something is ALWAYS happening on the periphery of your vision.

I am playing on Survival and Expert. I turned off permadeath because frankly ain’t nobody got time for that, I figured, and thank god, because that first cat ambush would probably have made me uninstall, hehe.

Yeah, I’ve died…quite a few times if its where I think it is - Right at the beginning, where you are told how to sneak up on the savage guy, right? Standing in a stone cirkel?

Love the sounds by the way - that primeval forest scape is incredible! And that cat sound is scary as hell, after getting mauled a few times :-D

Yes, that is exactly where it is. You kind of have to go up to that guy because there is a green leaf right by him, but even though I let the ocelot (and a wolf I didn’t even see or hear the first two times!) take him out the last time, the cat glommed onto me anyway from halfway across the river.

huh - I wonder if thats because you play on expert? I think I only played on Normal, since I was playing permadeath and wolves and ocelots weren’t near that place in my experience.

I guess it’s a jaguar from googling. This is pretty much all I’ve ever seen of him (her?):

Seems too little to be a jaguar to me. Would be even more ignominious to be eaten by a jaguar kitten.

Haha, yeah - thats the one. Terrifying experience :-D

Thats one of the things I really enjoyed about the game - the animals felt real, and dangerous. Some of the ones you meet later on, has real mass as well - Like wolves actually. They feel really big and dangerous and thats rare in a computer game.