Far Cry Primal - In prehistoric eras, they still had towers to climb

It’s also possible they’ve been working on this for a while and they’re only now just releasing info on it. I believe that’s what happened with Skyrim and, more recently, with Fallout 4. I think there’s been a push to have these things well along the development path before announcing them to the public the last few years.

Its going to be interesting to see how they do stone age weapons. Are ranged weapons going to be limited to crude bows and arrows? I would almost like to see it set as a sort of back in time kind of thing, with something like ammo limited modern weapons. I have an M-16 but only 50 rounds, otherwise I have to craft make shift weapons. To me Far Cry is “Rambo in an open jungle”…it will be interesting to see what they do here.

Ubisoft? The same company that’s talking about The Division, Rainbow Six Siege, Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, and Ghost Recon Wildlands for a really long time?

Yeah, I’m worried about that too. Not that I’m too invested in Far Cry anyway, but Far Cry meets Turok could be cool. Far Cry meets your weapons are rocks sounds less cool.

Of course they’ve been working on this for a while. Games aren’t done in months, but in years.

But that’s not relevant to the conversation. It’s about if Ubisoft believes they have a big title in their hands that can sell 5 million copies (which what they aim for when they do a new game like an Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, etc), or not.

Good, because you had me worried that’s what you thought. ;)

Hopefully the gyrocopter finds a way to come back, that was the best part of Far Cry 4. :p

Dunno about that, but I’m sure they can squeeze gliders in making the canvas-y part look like some animal hide.

Same concept with the grappling hook really.

This does not get my engine revving.

It will be a small bi-seat, just like in Far Cry 4!

I love that Ubisoft continues to experiment and try different things. It might work, or maybe it won’t, but I like the idea and what I’ve seen so far.

One of the interesting concepts will be the increased threat now from the local fauna. In other Far Cry’s the only danger was really if a tiger caught you unawares. In this one, they could actually make it so you must respect the animal threat, and possibly even more than any human threat.

Good point. In Far Cry 3 and 4, animals were a resource first, an enemy a distant third or fourth. Now we have to face a Sabretooth Tiger armed with a really pointy stick or an airborne version of such. That should move them up the food chain.

No chance that animals will be the alpha enemy. The sabretooths may be a tad more intimidating than the average big cat in Far Cry 3/4, but this isn’t going to deviate from the formula that much. Your main conflict will be against the other tribes. You’ll be taking over their outposts, unlocking camps, and opening up new map areas by climbing some kind of obstacle.

Maybe, but in the interviews they specifically point out that during this time period humans are not the top predator.

They also said the gameworld is as big as FC4, so this is not a Blood Dragon type of thing, it’s a full game.

I spent most of my time in FC4 using the bow until the enemies became too hard to 1-shot at which point I had to switch to various silenced guns. So I’m torn on this. I’m not sure upgrading to better bows and spears is going to make up for the lack of guns.

Edit - also, not sure if it’s been covered but this comes out the exact same day as Deus Ex. Ugh. It would be day 1 for me, as I loved FC4, but now, probably not.

A game world being big in size has never impressed me. Take Far Cry 3/4. They were both “big” but I felt like after about half the maps were uncovered, I had seen everything the games really offered in terms of variety.

I know I seem all negative on this, but I’m actually looking forward to it despite all my misgivings. I’m a sucker for a different setting and that’s something Ubisoft does really well.

I am hoping that the reason for the name change it to allow them more flexibility in their game design. If this was Far Cry 5: Primal, than I would expect a lot of the same mechanisms. This seems like it might allow for more leeway, and hence hoping that they can fit it better into a more savage landscape, instead of shoehorning the landscape onto their standard mechanisms.

At least we’ll find 5,000 pretty shells and spear heads instead of tampons and crack pipes!

Don’t be so negative. They may release an editor so the community can mod the game.

The important question imo is how the gameplay will be, as it can’t be based on firearms. Bow will be a mainstay in the game, I’m sure, like it was too in Far Cry 3/4. There will be knife/machetes I imagine and spears to throw. But… what else? Are they going to put a first person melee system?