Farscape gets better... right?

I’m confused by your comment lol

I usually have half my screen showing a movie and half showing a browser. The movie half usually gets letterboxed down to a fraction of its space, but Farscape seems to fill half a screen nicely.

It’s because it’s from the era before widescreen TVs were common and the default aspect ration was 4x3.

One of my favorite sci-fi shows.

Oooh! One of my favorite shows ever, regardless of genre! Such a great combination of actors, setting, writing, and effects. ‘Frell’ > ‘Frak’.

Then a few episodes in it’s letterboxed again. Bah.

Amazon. It still looks 4:3 but like this now…

… having started out like this:

No big deal obviously but a bit weird :)

I think the show was filmed in PAL (it’s not an American show) which is 720 x 576 and not 4:3. This means it fits inside one half of a contemporary computer monitor better than either NTSC or HD does.

I have been unable to find the resolution of PAL after searching for the past half hour. Wikipedia is cagey on this subject.

And now it’s back, somewhere about episode 10 the letterboxing vanishes. Yay.

Oops spoke too soon, Ep 14 and it’s back :)

I have also just started this. I know literally nothing about it, but it was recommended to me in the Expanse thread after I caught up on that series. I watched the few 15 minutes of the first episode and was cringing at the earth bound scenes, then totally intrigued by where the pilot ended up after going through the wormhole. I’m intrigued because the folks on that alien ship seemed batshit crazy.

The necro’ing of this thread was timed well for me!

Oh…they are.

Sure, but the craziest ones aren’t even there yet.

@tylertoo It’s been said many times in this thread but stick with it, it starts rough but the rewards for persistence are substantial.

And done! 26 days :) Yay Rigel :)

So what did you think?

It had its moments. And someone I gather is called Claudia Black.

My fondest sci-fi memories still lie with Farscape. I don’t like the last season as much (too much black leather, like The Matrix) but by that time you are really invested in the story and characters.

The video game is supposed to have a good story and voice acting. I wish someone would remake it, but gut and replace the shit gameplay.

(Sorry, accidental necro. Blame Discourse.)

I just got through the first season, which was of varying quality. I have read that things pick up now. But even the worst episodes have Claudia Black.

I have tried and failed to get through the first season like 3x now. Someday, someday I’ll make it to the part where it gets good.

Been rewatching this again, as it’s one of my top two sci fi shows of all time (alongside B5). It does take a little while to get going but that final run of episodes in season 1 (the last four, essentially) is where we start the rise to greatness. It just gets better from there.

That’s genuinely helpful, actually, thank you!

So, weirdly enough, I NEVER actually follow skip guides literally, BUT I read them obsessively basically as a form of building up bad episode fortitude! If I know The Good Shit is coming in three more episodes, or even that something really cool later on is being setup in the bad filler ep I’m slogging through, it makes it way easier to justify to myself continuing.

So, this list is CRAZY helpful in that regard. Perhaps even…krazy helpful??