Favorite Game Music

Hey! The new game music bundle is up, with some great albums.

http://www.gamemusicbundle.com/

Pay what you want for Aquaria, To the Moon, Jamestown, Machinarium, and Sword and Sworcery soundtracks. Pay $10 or more and get 9 more albums! Fantastic deal. Worth it for the Machinarium stuff alone.

Same here. I’ve even listened to the soundtrack while out and about… embarrassing I know…

Why is it embarrassing? It’s still music, right?

I never felt like…so miser-able…

Nah, Persona 3 has some of the best game music in recent memory.

But what’s embarassing is when you’re walking down the street and the “on a date” song plays and you’re like “Why do I suddenly want to eat ramen and talk about my problems?”

Huzzah! I had some of these but totally not all of 'em. Got it mostly for Aquaria, but the others are pretty good too, so far! Thanks!

Always loved Persona 3 & 4’s mix of tunes even though I don’t really listen to that type of music normally. But hell, it’s catchy and very thoughtfully composed. I play guitar and bass and the bass tracks are really impressive.

I may be adding Tactics Ogre’s music to my list of favorite game music - just started playing this on the PSP a few days ago and the music is fantastic.

So if you pre-order the next Indie Royale bundle, you get this album:

O.S.T: Original Soundtrack

Which is inspired by old 16 bit Nintendo soundtracks. I didn’t play those games at the time, but this album is pretty good for not having any connection to that era of console gaming.

I’m not into chiptunes but I listened to a few tracks and it is pretty good. A nice bonus for your pre-order.

Chiptunes? Is that what this kind of music is called?

Huh, guess so, never heard the term before.

Yeah, Rainwave has a station dedicated entirely to Chiptunes. http://chiptune.rainwave.cc/

I’ve only listened to it a few times and it was pretty good, but I find the orchestral and other cool remixes too good to pass up [for example I just heard an awesome bigband version of Guile’s theme].

Wooww, awesome, thanks for that!

I love the Actraiser orchestral Score. It’s awesome playing the original ost followed by the symphonic version. I do it for Dragon Quest too.

Some other good ones

Frog’s Theme orchestral (man I wish that was longer)
Chrono Cross opening
Anything Final Fantasy
Shenmue
Lost Woods

And thanks to whoever posted Grand Knight’s History. That’s some good stuff.

Nice.
For tracks that we wish were longer, I’ll see your Frog’s Theme and raise you Shadow of the Colossus - Swift Horse.

Replaying FF IX recently and I’d have to add that soundtrack to my list of faves.

Rare had some standout soundtracks over the years, but Banjo Kazooie was magical and shit. The dynamically-transitional themes are still awesome.

I was playing Thief last night. I went to the Bonehoard. Deep under the earth, in an almost completely inaccessible catacomb, an eternally looping melody mournfully played for the resting dead and twisted undead alike. It seemed to want me to stay…

Loved the Banjo Kazooie music. Loved the game. Loved Banjo Tooie. Shame about BK: Nuts and Bolts, though.

OK, I’m gonna necro this thread because recently I was remembering the soundtrack to the 2008 Prince of Persia reboot. It had such a great “old Hollywood” cinematic feel to it in places, for instance in the Main Theme (which has a sparser treatment at the beginning of this link, but is in full Old Hollywood mode at the 7:33 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xLjL_-esEU

I just loved that freakin’ game, and this is one of the reasons.

Prince of Persia 2008 is definitely a classic for all times. And I’m so glad that any potential sequel got cancelled, because this way, it’s perfect ending is preserved and not sullied by a sequel. (Though the Epilogue DLC does sully it a little bit; luckily it also gave us some challenging excellent levels).

The sequel to Prince of Persia 2008 exists, just on a DS game that no one has played. If you want to be depressed, search the wikia for the story synopsis.