Favorite Movies of 2016

This year, I noticed that several of my favorite movies had something in common. The main characters struggled against tough odds, but those odds didn’t just haphazardly show up. The characters decided to go out and achieve difficult, even impossible tasks, for no other reason than it was in their heart to do so. I hope more screenplays are written this way. Here are ten movies I especially liked, in no particular order, except maybe they have been grouped together by theme or the ones I really liked were farther down. Oh, and I tagged the movies I saw twice in the theater with this symbol <*>. There’s plenty of movies I wanted to see but didn’t catch this year, so for me to spend the time to watch one movie more than once indicates that I saw something especially noteworthy in it.

My Favorite Movies of the Year.

High-Rise - I couldn’t recommend this for everyone. Maybe not to _any_one. But I once mentioned that I’d love to see Neal Stephenson’s The Big U adapted into a movie, to witness what should be a refined society collapse into chaos and barbarism. (Like the TV show Community did in some of their better episodes.) Well, this is that movie, except it’s not an '80s American University, it’s a '70s English apartment complex. The BEST way to view this movie is while squinting through a monocle, sipping from a brandy snifter, and occasionally uttering morsels of delighted criticism, e.g. “my, this wickedly satirical examination of Heathish or perhaps Thatcherite class warfare is delicious!” and “pass the brie and the tea, and isn’t this Hiddleston chap marvelous as he plays the bourgeoisie against the proletariat? Or is he trapped betwixt them?” and “Dash it, these chaps have missed the apocalypse entirely, have they not, and now they’re living in post-apocalyptic society? Eat the purebred instead of eat the rich, indeed. I say.” and “Brutalist architecture breeds brutal behavior.” The best way to determine if you would like this movie is if you already hear yourself murmuring these things or wouldn’t mind if you did. Plus, holy shit, Portishead came back from whatever dimension where they’ve been protecting Earth by battling eldritch horrors…to cover ABBA’s “S.O.S”. Which is a perfect song choice, band choice, and covering band choice for this movie, but that’s another post. I wouldn’t want society to collapse, in general, but I had a lot of fun watching this mutant microcosm collapsing.

Arrival - Pretty smart science fiction plus Amy Adams. I intentionally came into the movie as blind as possible, and recommend that for anyone who wants to see it. I’m not saying there’s a Shamalyan-style twist at the end, but if there is, it’s grounded in the concept of the strange visitor or visitors to the planet. I’m also not saying I thought this movie was perfect. There’s something about the direction of the two movies I’ve seen by Denis Villeneuve (this and Sicario) I don’t like. Sometimes it’s how he decides his scenes should begin and end (so maybe I should blame the screenwriter and editor as well). Sometimes I don’t like how the focus is on someone’s back instead of whatever he or she is looking at (so maybe I should blame the focus puller). Sometimes I don’t like how he portrays military men as typically noble and competent but occasionally incredibly weak-willed, shallow, and/or quick to embrace violence as both the answer to a question and the reason to question an answer. But despite that, I liked this movie. It was the old fashioned kind of sci-fi story where the protagonist has to solve a riddle to gain knowledge past the ken of modern man. In this case, the ink is sometimes mightier than the sword.

Don’t Think Twice - The thing about improv comedy is that it doesn’t take much to get into it, and it can make you famous. The other thing about it is that it sucks up your life and you will almost certainly never get famous at it. Like so many movies this year, Don’t Think Twice features another suicide squad. The improv group calling themselves “The Commune” is right at the cusp of success…or of packing it in. Their leader, Mike Birbiglia, playing a slightly more-veiled autobiographical version of himself than in his last movie, Sleepwalk With Me, runs the group with just enough personal charisma to convince some lowly acolytes to sleep with him. He and his underlings are all talented, funny, and devoted to each other. They’ve known each other long enough to know their secrets and weaknesses. This means they know each other well enough to really jam in the knives, but why would they? They’re a group, a troupe. Two of them, Keegan-Michael Key of “Key and Peele” and Gillian Jacobs of “Community” and “Love” are in a relationship, and the group is so tightly knit that this relationship feels like Lannister love. The group meets its greatest challenge after entropy when one–but only one–of their number grabs the brass-plated diamond-encrusted uranium ring. An acting shot on the iconic late night sketch show, Not-Saturday Night Live. The rest of the Commune is consumed with jealousy and support. The movie plays on from there. The cast is great, both the actors that were known to me (Kate Micucci is adorable as always) and unknown (which is kind of the point, I guess. They were great, yet they’ll never headline a movie). Some of the humor is actually funny, which is a bonus in a movie about improv comedy. I liked watching their struggle for fame and fortune, even though that search may be fruitless, if the journey is more important than the destination, or maybe that’s what the losers tell themselves.

Oh, and this movie’s title had very little to do with the Dylan classic, “Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright”. That song is one of the world’s greatest kiss-offs. This movie featured an instrumental of the song over the end credits, but probably has more to do with the idea that in improv, you don’t think more than once (if that), you just perform.

Zootopia <*> Neil Gaiman once wrote an essay about good fiction where he underlined and italicized the passage: “there is room for things to mean more than they literally mean.” He wasn’t talking about metaphor or allegory–though they have their place in the writer’s toolbox. Zootopia follows this philosophy. Its premise is pretty simple. Cartoon bunny works hard to be a cop in a city of cartoon critters. It’s tough for her because she’s small and squishy. But she preserveres and takes down bad guys both obvious and hidden, and manages to make friends with natural enemies. It’s also about more than that. It’s about crime and punishment, and cops v. robbers, and race—oh, heck, is it ever about race relations, though it isn’t quite as simple as Prey versus Predators are actually White Americans versus Black Americans or vice versa—and urban versus rural living, and choosing between u/zoo/dys/topias, and good policework and bad policework, and safety vs. freedom, and communities awkwardly living together cheek by jowl. But, you know, for kids. It’s not preachy, and it doesn’t profess simple answers for difficult problems. On top of that, the cartoon bunny had oodles of chemistry with the cartoon fox, who jumps from rival to foil to partner without feeling forced. The Zootopia in question is wonderfully realized, a shining city on a hill for all mammal-kind, with fascinating differences between the relative scales of its citizens that made Fellowship of the Ring’s Bree look like a shabby little backwater on the edge of a fallen kingdom. Even the structure of the screenplay is marvelously sophisticated, with a third act that builds on the successes and failures of the previous two.

Kubo and the Two Strings - This is the hero’s journey without all the nonsense about the hero rejecting whether he wanted to go on a journey for most of the movie. Kubo is a warrior, a musician, and a magician. He also happens to be a little kid living in the remnants of a tragic backstory. He goes on an incredible adventure, and it’s all portrayed by jaw-dropping stop-motion animation. To say more would give away its secrets.

Hail, Caesar <*> I could watch this fictional version of Eddie Mannix spinning plates and juggling chainsaws, making straight the way of his movie studio, for episode after episode, season after season. This episodic movie was a good day in his life, a good day in the Golden Age of Hollywood, back when the star system and the studio system still worked, the government kept their mitts off the process (within mutual tolerances), where war wasn’t closing off markets or endangering stars, and dreams were manufactured following the precepts of Henry Ford. I know this one had a mixed reception on the forum and out there in the real world. Everyone has a different conception of what a “good Coen movie” and a “lesser Coen movie” is. I frequently read this labeled as Lesser Coens. Well, pshaw. This is very high in my personal Coen ranking. I don’t know if I’d necessarily compare Mannix’s toils and struggles to a Christ-like Passion. But I loved his march up and down a metaphorical Calvary anyway, and the old-timey studio universe, the recreations of those now-unfashionable movie genres like the singin’ cowboy Western or the choreographed swimming pool musical, the sumptuous Technicolor, the dialogue which casually delves into issues like faith (and faiths) and love and politico-economic systems and art and commerce. In one sense, none of the movie matters, all this effort is merely so the studio can keep outputting output. But like the Lockheed flunky says, it’s all make-believe, when compared to the H-bomb and work and actual religion. Or is it? Within the movie were classic scenes like the completely out-of-his-depth Hobie trying his darndest to please his overbred director, and a set PA asking the actor portraying son of God, Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, whether he was a principal [actor] or an extra. “I think I’m a principal,” the guy whose character’s name is in the subtitle of the movie they’re making replies. If this is lesser Coens, I wish they could all be lesser Coens.

Doctor Strange <*> I really like the costumed superhero entries when they strive to be visually creative. Even Thor 2: Something About Elves? had a crackling climax which brought it up in my eyes to More Than Tolerable. Doctor Strange, the movie, borrows heavily from Inception and the Matrix to present battlefields where cities fracture into Mandlebrot sets and space-time is a mere suggestion. I probably didn’t need to see this in the theater twice, but my optic nerves thanked me. Doctor Strange, the character, took to his origin story and the mastery of magic with a speed that made me roll my eyes. If this were a more grounded and realistic story about, y’know, magic being a real thing that people can learn to use, Strange would take a lifetime, not an act, to get good. But this is a superhero movie, and Strange is a superhero above mere magicians. His antagonists have a reasonable plan—to stop death forever—and his chief rival gets in some good lines. The good doctor even comes up with a creative zinger, paid for with a worthy sacrifice, to defeat the deity of Space Communism. I can’t wait to see the next installment, where Dr. Strange battles the Operative from the Serenity movie.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - If last year’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens was a story about how friendship could save worlds — and sure, wasn’t it? — this movie was how sacrifice could save worlds. As an entry in the Star Wars universe, it’s a resounding success. I was also pleased, having just watched “Monsters” before seeing Rogue One, that Gareth Edwards can turn in a perfectly fine movie if someone else writes a script first. The characters in this Suicide Squadaren’t very well developed, but then this is the mere two-hour ten-minute Magnificent Seven (1960). That movie coasted on star power compared to the character development they could fit into a three-hour twenty-eight minute Seven Samurai…and even in Kurasawa’s epic, the sword-swingers didn’t get much more developed than Old Guy, Young Kid, Cheerful Guy, Funny Guy, Guy Who Is Really Good With A Sword But Not Emotionally Demonstrative, Crazy Guy Who Isn’t Technically A Samurai At All, and…someone else. Assassin-Bot Guy? Here we had Young Relative, Young Terrorist, Brain-melted Turncoat Untrusted but Trustworthy Pilot, Blind Martial Arts Master Like Friar Tuck If Friar Tuck Was Blind, His Dear Friend And Human Seeing-Eye Dog with a Kegerator on his back and Plasma Rifle on his Front, Sardonic Multi-use Droid, and Forest Whitaker as Himself. Anyway, the stakes are high, our heroes show a few twinges of villainy (as there are nearly no comforts in their line of work, and mercy can be a luxury they can’t afford), any successes come with an extremely dear price tag, and a final land/air/space battle rips up the screen. I hope our Gary Whitta found that the final product met or exceeded his original dream. I literally was shocked, dumbfounded, slack-jawed on several occasions while watching the movie.

I just wish that stupid door in the archive stayed open or closed. One or the other. Maybe they need to get a droid up there to fix it.

La La Land - Great songs, great musical numbers. Characters were adorable. If there was anything that took me away from thinking it was the best movie of the year, it was a few subplots that bogged the characters down in mundanity. As long as those kids were twirling through an abstract world of color and sonic bliss, of L.A. dressed in a coat of potential energy and magic, I was transported.

Sing Street - Great songs, great musical numbers. Characters were adorable. If there was anything that took me away from thinking it was the best movie of the year, it was a few subplots that bogged the characters down in mundane family squabbles. As long as the kids were jamming through an abstract world of color and sonic bliss, of '80s Dublin dressed in a coat of potential energy and magic, I was transported.

I saw these movies too. They were fine. They are runners-up, I suppose. I saw other movies too but they weren’t quite fine.
Deadpool. Swear words are funny.
Captain America: Civil War. Nice fight scene.
Moana. Not bad. Rousing adventure.
The Nice Guys. Funny violence. Great production. Not quite up there with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, but I’m glad Shane Black made the attempt. Keith David definitely ought to continue in front of the camera and/or microphone.
Finding Dory. A sine wave of laughter and misty eyes.
Florence Foster Jenkins. Meryl Streep does that acting shit with her eyes again.
X-Men: Apocalypse. Not bad. I liked how the subtitular villain loved to play dress-up with his Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Ghostbusters: Answer The Call. Funny, and much funnier once I accepted in my heart and mind that this wasn’t a sequel and that’s why no one cared about crossing the streams or remembered the previous spectral incursions into Manhattan. Could have been better; I’ll check out the inevitable sequel.
Star Trek Beyond. Not bad. The cast is really settling into their franchise roles. I liked the beautiful starbase/space city Yorktown, even though it didn’t have any precedent or similarities to other Star Trek timelines. If they never make another movie with this cast (not counting Anton, RIP), that will be a shame, but life goes on.

Have Yet to See But I Hear Great Things; Maybe If I Saw Them They Would Bump Out My Top Ten:

[details=Summary]The Birth Of A Nation
Fences
Martin Scorsese’s Silence
The VVitch
Richard Linklater’s Everybody Wants Some!!
10 Cloverfield Lane
Hardcore Henry
Green Room
The Jungle Book & Pete’s Dragon
Queen of Katwe & Hidden Numbers
Keanu
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
Hell or High Water
Moonlight
The Edge of Seventeen
Manchester By The Sea
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find 'Em
Nocturnal Animals
The Founder
Passengers
Jim Jarmusch’s Paterson
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Toni Erdman
The Handmaiden
American Honey
Swiss Army Man
The Lobster[/details]

I always love your lists, Mr. DJ South Carolina Man! This one is no exception.

-Tom

Paterson and Hunt for the Wilderpeople were not just the two best things I saw in 2016 but of the best films I have seen in a very long time. Wonderful stuff. Honourable mention to the excellent Arrival, nice to go to the big cinema and not be treated like an idiot.

Hey, I already had a list ready, so I might as well post it and add a few quick thoughts. Plus, I’m actually a South Carolina man.

This is roughly in order. From what my friends have said and what I’ve read, The VVitch and Moonlight might have made my list if I’d seen them, but I didn’t, so here’s what I’ve got:

Hell or High Water
I just enjoyed this so thoroughly from start to finish. The performances, the direction, the dialog, and especially the ending.

Manchester By The Sea
Objectively, this is the “best” movie I saw in 2016, but it wasn’t my favorite. It was close, but my favorite movies are at least as much about me as they are about the films, and at the end of the day, it will be easier to rewatch almost any other movie on this list before I watch this again.

La La Land
I loved writer/director Damien Chazelle’s Whiplash, and Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling can’t necessarily save a movie by themselves (Gangster Squad) but I mostly enjoy their work. Not being a musical kind of guy, I assumed I’d still at least appreciate what they were doing. Here it is over a week later and I still wake up humming Another Day of Sun. I was completely caught off guard by how much I loved this—including the music, and in particular how much the end hit me. Casey Affleck’s Lee Chandler in Manchester By the Sea nearly had his emotions stunned out of him by trauma, whereas I’ve joked I just sort of showed up that way. So as a non-emotional guy, I was very surprised how much I felt feelings in this. It was weird!

Be right back, starting up the soundtrack again as I write this.

Arrival
This is my kind of sci-fi. Even my normal ambivalence toward Forest Whitaker couldn’t dull my enjoyment of this.

Captain America: Civil War
A better Avengers movie than Age of Ultron, a movie that sidesteps Marvel’s villain problem by focusing on conflict within the team—conflict I think was earned and justified—and one of the most fun action spectacles of the year. “I could [watch] this all day.”

Midnight Special
I still don’t know about the ending of this movie (I had a pretty different interpretation than at least a few people, discussed over in that thread), but I still love thinking about it. Jeff Nichols hasn’t let me down yet (spoiler: he doesn’t let me down later in this list either), and of course I’ll take any excuse to add more Michael Shannon to my list.

Nocturnal Animals
The framing story was less interesting than the story-within-a-story, but man, that second story was something else. A couple scenes in particular were among the hardest things to watch I saw this year. On the other hand, Michael Shannon should get a supporting actor Oscar for this. It’s right in his wheelhouse, he’s been knocking this kind of role out of the park all along, but this is one of the most prominent, well done performances of his I’ve seen.

Green Room
I haven’t seen this since the theater, so I’m going back farthest on this one, but it was a great thriller. Tense buildup, then everything goes wrong so very well. Clever plans and quick thinking work just as often as they don’t, leaving you never knowing who’s safe or what’s going to happen next.

Loving
Not the Jeff Nichols I’m used to, but still good. And a little more Michael Shannon! This movie is about the ordinariness of people who had an extraordinary impact on the world, and as such I can understand why some people might be disappointed. I mean, it’s only #9 on my list, how good could it be anyway? Oh yeah, very good. Ruth Negga should probably win something for this, and Joel Edgerton has a more subdued role but he’s fantastic in it (even better than Midnight Special, where he was also great).

The Lobster
How did this movie get on my list? I wouldn’t even say I liked it. But the first half, that was something. Even that wasn’t quite my style, but it was so different, darkly comedic, and fascinating, I can’t overlook or ignore it. The second half was a weaker execution of something I already wasn’t totally on board with, but when I went back and looked at every thing I saw this year, I kept coming back to this and turning over parts of it in my head. It makes the cut.

As a bonus, the worst movie I saw this year? Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. Technically another Michael Shannon movie!

Deadpool.
Captain America: Civil War.

Hm, let’s see - this year I saw two current releases in the theater, Ghostbusters and Star Trek Beyond, and I thought they were both pretty good.

At the risk of interjecting throw-away comedies into a serious movies thread…

Popstar (Never Stop Never Stopping)

Keanu

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

All LOL worthy. I can’t remember a better year for R-rated comedy.

The Witch That’s two years in a row that the early months has treated us to merely a great horror movie but a movie that looks like it could be an all-timer in the genre (the other being 2015’s It Follows). Director Robert Eggers and breakout star Anna-Taylor Joy are both worth keeping an eye on in the future but all of the performances in this are terrific, in part due to the talented cast and in part due to the amazing direction. Eggers’ colonial New England is one of the most terrifying places I’ve ever seen in media and I never ever ever want to go there. Unless I am armed with Godzilla.

Midnight Special - my movie going dipped significantly this year for a variety of reasons so I didn’t catch this until On Demand. But I really liked it. Good to great performances from Shannon (has he ever been bad in any thing? I feel like he’s the new Michael Caine; sure the movie he’s in may suck but he brightens the place up no matter what), Driver, Edgerton (whose was really nicely understated; I’m starting to be really amazed by him as an Actor as I saw The Gift recently finally), and yes MTV Best Screen Kiss award winner Kristen Dunst. It’s a strange but heartfelt movie that reminded me very much of classic Spielberg, the 80s, and how the universe can be strange and wonderful. I really need to see loving.

Rogue One - I really liked this. I’ll have to do repeat viewings but it might be a better movie than TFA. Which isn’t saying much. Mind, I liked TFA and find it very watchable. But JJ Abrams is bad at lots of little things and his movies suffer for it. Why is Finn rebellious? Who cares, JJ sure as fuck doesn’t and he’s going to jump between 3 or 4 action sequences in a row to make sure you don’t pay too much attention to it. Poe Dameron is the worst written character I’ve ever seen in a movie I liked. He has no qualities beyond being pleasantly broish. But it works because Oscar Isaac is a force of nature and you don’t care because there’s nothing Oscar Isaac does that isn’t riveting (ok, maybe Apocolypse. but seriously if that’s what it takes). Rogue One doesn’t have anyone on that level acting wise (the best talents are probably Mikkelson and Whitaker and they’re barely used) but the characters have just enough depth and the actors are good enough that it works really well. I think the plot retcon works (its better than “oh, it turns out there’s this rando long exhaust port that we can use to blow it up”). I thought the battle scenes were really good, much better than TFA.

Deadpool - it’s sad that this is the only truly fresh Supers movie we’re getting maybe for a long time. I’m sure the Marvel stuff will continue to be good but they are all getting a touch samey (note: did not see Dr Strange). This was an R-rated breath of fresh air, with Reynolds in the role he was born to play (even though I don’t think Deadpool existed until after he left 15). Can’t wait to see the next one.

Captain America: Civil War - while it’s not an unreasonable movie from a topical standpoint, I think it was dangerous to step so close to a major comics event that had such a mixed reception (mind you, that’s my impression, it could be that it was largely loved). Of course they got to ditch a lot of the unecessary build up/drawn out stuff since it was contained to a single movie (and also didn’t suffer from the fact that the entire idea was borrowed from a piece of backstory in a much superior Astro City series that was only incidentally about supers and the registration question). There’s no flips or double flips or “oh god why is this being drawn out” when you get it all done in 2.5 hours. I had several people tell me they thought it was better than Winter Soldier but I didn’t find that to be the case. It was good, but not on that level.

Green Room - I don’t remember where I saw this but someone invoked Assault on Precinct 13 in talking about this and I think it’s apropos company. This didn’t quite go in the direction I thought it would and it was all the better for it;it’s not as simple as punks turning the table on white nationalists and showing us that racism can’t win in the end. The band’s struggle is bitter and desperate and absolutely compelling as they barely navigate one problem to the next (members dropping all the while). Patrick Stewart is an intergalactic treasure and he can do anything and I will love him forever. I really liked Macon Blair in this; I wasn’t sure if at first his “wannabe” was just reluctant or reserved but his character added a lot to the proceedings.

I deeply regret having so far missed Everybody Wants Some and Hell or High Water. 2016 on a personal level, so fuck that noise.

It was a pretty good horror year, I have a lot of catching up to do (never saw Don’t Breathe e.g.). I don’t suppose someone is sitting on something great horror wise for Feb this year too?

Man, having a kid really puts a dent in the moviegoing. I saw only one movie this year, Manchester By The Sea, and I liked it, so I guess that makes it my favorite.

Captain America: Civil War gave me a “why is this so long?” feeling with a “they’re ending it now?” feeling at the end.

Really weird to pick that as one of your favorites then!

I only saw four movies this year. I’m a failure. I’ll do better this year, but I look forward to working through people’s lists.

I thought Midnight Special was the best version of Starman, and I’d rank it somewhere between Take Shelter & Mud. It’s the Avenger’s to Take Shelter’s Dark Knight. Lighter in tone, but brilliantly executed.

I liked Captain America the first time I saw it, but I couldn’t even sit through it on Netflix the second time. If I hadn’t seen Finding Dory, I’d probably say it was the most vapid movie I saw this year. At least Finding Dory had Ellen’s vocal performance, which is up there with Scarlett Johansson’s in Her. (Yeah, I said it.)

Rogue One was competent and enjoyable. I saw it twice.

Just describing the fact that while I thought it was long I still wanted more in the end.

I’m just teasing you because this ain’t the thread for that!

(But I’m not actually upset)

I feel like most of us will be talking about the same few movies this year, but here is my top ten list:

10. The Witch
I will remember this movie for a long time mainly due to its striking imagery. I don’t know what its influences are that make the environment be such a strong part of the storytelling … Kurosawa? But that’s what I took from it. A feeling of dread, as the trees close in around you, and with no God to listen to your fears.

9. Arrival
I think a science fiction movie where the primary emotion you feel is a kind of moody, meditative sadness is very bold. That it remains uplifting is surprising. It also never feels simplistic or pat when it comes to the plot; I adore the source material and though the film departs in several ways, I think the spirit of it was well-captured. Expect to see more (all?) of Ted Chiang’s stories adapted in the near future.

8. Hell or High Water
It’s an indie-crime movie crossed with the current zeitgeist and without the latter I think it would have been pretty forgettable. But then you have beautiful, haunting scenes of the impoverished southern country people who still proudly remember when their families were heroic frontiersmen. It helps that this was also my favourite theater-going experience of the year, with family all equally into what we were seeing.

Does the script hit the theme a little too hard? Maybe. I am a sucker for melodrama though. Also, I have to say that Chris Pine continues to surprise me. After this and Finest Hours (not a good movie, but he’s great in it), I can no longer write him off as a wise-cracker (though maybe he just needs Ben Foster next to him from now on to elevate his performances).

7. Triple 9
Good cops-and-robbers movies are hard to come by. This is probably the best example since Heat, but I found it to be less mythic than that film and more … existential, maybe? Having seen Casey Affleck play cool and collected characters it was refreshing to see him playing naive so well, which is probably more challenging than it looks. The riot-shield action set piece is every bit as awesome as the big gunfight scene from Heat though, in fact the direction in general is less self-indulgent than Michael Mann can be.

6. Kubo and the Two Strings
For complete, breathtaking beauty, you can’t beat animation, and this was the most beautiful animated film of the year. When you realize that everything you see in this film is not CG, but hand-crafted stop motion, you appreciate it even more. It’s a real shame it didn’t have the kind of marketing support that other animated films did this year. Of the characters, Charlize Theron’s performance is the real draw here … easily as good as Meryl Streep was in Fantastic Mr. Fox, and with the kind of complexity you don’t often see in animation.

5. Hail, Caesar!
It’s easy to write this off as a “Minor Coen brothers” movie, like Burn after Reading or Intolerable Cruelty. I think it’s better than both of those … probably their funniest movie since Big Lebowski, and somehow in between the hilarious scenes you get depiction of the 50’s Hollywood studio system that seems gently over-the-top in each individual scene yet feels authentic as a whole. It also feels that the Coens have outgrown their smugness, and truly love these characters. I want more movies where Clooney plays a clueless dunce.

“You one of the Hollywood people?”
“…Maybe”

4. La La Land
Critics everywhere have explained ad nauseam why this film is great, so let me just explain why I loved it: Emma Stone. She is so amazing in this … what a performance. Her emotions are right there at the surface, it’s like her heart was right out there to be trampled on in every single scene. The colours and beautiful camera work (like, what seem to be insanely long takes during the dance numbers) and all the art in the production design is just magical. I challenge anyone to maintain their cynical shield watching it. And the ending is as romantic as Casablanca’s … yes, I said it.

3. Captain America: Civil War
I don’t know if this movie would have worked without all that we’ve been through with these characters. Compared to what DC is doing these days, it’s so pulpy and bubbly it might as well be a mimosa. Which is just what I wanted from a AAA superhero blockbuster in 2016 … or a comic book. There is real delight in every scene, like the actors are just enjoying each other’s company, and the action sequences are so lively and entertaining. It’s also great to see an African superhero with substance added to the mix who can stand up to Captain America or Ironman as an equal. I can watch this over and over again and not get tired of it.

2. Everybody Wants Some!!
I’ll put my cards on the table – I think Dazed and Confused is arguably Richard Linklater’s greatest film, a real masterpiece. I don’t think Everybody Wants Some is as good as Dazed and Confused, but it taps into the same feelings for me. I don’t think it’s just a retread. Some of what I love about it are the subtle differences between the two films. I love how the characters are college freshmen vs. highschool freshmen, and as such they’re a little more confident. I love the period details, the way it captures a sort of ephemeral “between” time moving from the 70’s to the 80’s, when people had turntables and VCRs, when styles and music trends were changing while others hadn’t yet. I love how Linklater sees all his young characters so warmly, not as shallow stereotypes, and lets them mingle across cliques the way people actually do. And I love how he paces it, how the rhythms of life seem to just ramble along and the kids express truth as they see it, in the simple, self-conscious, silly way that kids do.

1. Green Room
Here is a thriller where everything is working in harmony to deliver pure, visceral suspense, the way early John Carpenter or even Hitchcock used to. Film school students should study this movie as an example of how to do exposition well: the kids in the band have their own jargon after being together for months on the road, and the villains speak in a clipped shorthand that represents their own secret instructions, and what matters from one moment to the next gradually becomes clear at the same rate as the tension mounts. I loved every minute of it and after it was finished I let out a long shaking breath and then laughed in joy. Such a terrific cast, and it is such a bummer to see how good Anton Yelchin could be and be reminded of how soon we lost him. See this if you haven’t!

I support your love of Hail, Caesar! Good list!

To my surprise, having now seen Moonlight and The Witch, I think my top 10 remains the same. They’re both very good, but as far as my preferences go, they can’t unseat anything already on my list.

Other People
I laughed, I cried, and I learned that Molly Shannon is one hell of an actress. I could say the same of Jesse Plemons, but I already knew he was excellent. This was my favorite film of the year. Autobiographical, heartbreaking, and all too real. Basically every actor you love is in this movie, and they do a damn fine job. Excellent directorial debut for SNL head writer Chris Kelly. This is on Netflix now, watch it.

Warning: The last third of this movie can be extremely tough to watch, make sure you are ok with whoever you are with seeing you cry.

it feels that I watched only rubish in the theatres… watched Superman vs. Batman, bleh, Star Trek Beyond (ugh), Nocturnal Animals (no substance) and missed most of the good ones (Lalaland, Neon Demon and many others)…

But the good ones I watched, I can still remember.

Paterson is by far the best of 2017 for me. Adam Driver is great, a very slow, meditative movie… yes, very poetic. Would watch it again…

Café Society, this years Woody Allen was very enjoyable, reminded me of Hail Ceasar, nice, amusing films.

I would count High Rise to my favorites, but I did not watch it in a theatre, so I don’t count it. I liked Rogue One, although I could not understand half of the script (why did they go to see Saw Guerara?) doesn’t matter really, it moved on quickly and was nice to see new locations in a galaxy far, far away. Snowden was a good, important refresher on what happened a couple of years ago…

The most notable things happened for me in the tv, like Westworld, The Wire, Stranger Things, GoT, Fargo Season 2… etc. The Wire is great, just started watching the show. I hope it stays great.

The Accountant
Deadpool
Dr Strange

Tv - Lucifer