Feige: "Doc Strange sooner rather than later"

you are confusing ‘most people’ with ‘most people who aren’t idiots’. Most people actually ARE stupid enough to think there might be a connection to Snape.

Yeah but that’s only if he looks like Snape - i.e. lank long hair. If he has coiffured hair with white bits, and a Van Dyke beard, and if he doesn’t use Snape-voice, nobody would know. He is a great actor after all.

The thing about the Doc though, is he isn’t English. He’s an American medical doctor. We need to think outside the “English actor” box.

What about the guy who plays The Comedian in Watchmen?

Having seen him in a few dozen Supernatural episodes in addition to Watchmen, I don’t think he has the gravitas necessary for the role.

We could just lean slightly outside of the box, and get one who can do a good American accent.

I’m now seeing a really unexpected twist to the series ending of House!

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is super duper busy and they’re not likely to sign him to the kind of multi-picture deals that Marvel Studios likes to sign guys to. I figure he could probably do it, but I’m not sure if he could overcome the inherent silliness if the script decided to lean more toward the 70s take.

However, check back after the Red Dawn remake comes out. He’s in that as Lt. Colonel Tanner.

After reading through all of MightyGodKing’s “I Should Write Dr. Strange” posts, I figure with House finally ending (please god let this be its last season), Hugh Laurie as Doctor Strange could actually be hilariously good.

“It’s never the Vishanti.”

I’ve never seen that before. And he should write Doctor Strange. Wow.

Yeah. I was just about to come in here and link that. I’ve never read Dr. Strange comics, but that pitch series is excellent, and makes me think more than a little of Neil Gaiman. His similar series about The Legion of Super-Heroes is just as great, and again shows off the possibilities of a comic franchise I never gave a shit about before.

Just seen the appallingly awful news that a scriptwriter involved with Prometheus (not to mention the recent The Mummy) is apparently being tapped to write the script for this. This cannot be allowed to stand! Allons! Marchons! To the barricades!!!

Yeah, they need the script writers from the Star Trek Reboot to make this work!

Just because the guy was a scriptwriter on Prometheus in no way makes him responsible for that train wreck. The script may have actually been great before directors and editing took over. I say give the guy a chance before you pillory him.

Actually, he’s the screenwriter for a yet to be released The Mummy movie. Also, his draft for Prometheus was better than the movie we got.

Harrumph, ok, stand down - but be on the alert! :)

Yeah, lets not fault a dude stuck carrying around the Lindeloff albatross on Prometheus.

I wonder if we’ll get Clea and Dormammu, or just an origins story with Ancient One (Cast On, Cast Off, Stephen-San). Clea was always a favorite of mine.

OK, I’m starting to get unreasonably excited about this, with the recentnewsthat Joaquin Phoenix may be being considered for the role. I think this would be a coup for Marvel, because I’ve just recently become aware of what a phenomenal actor he is, having just seen Her and The Master back to back. I hadn’t really clocked him, but these two films show an incredible versatility. He’s not one of those actors who’s always more or less himself, he’s seemingly capable of playing just about anybody, and really, really well, too. I can see him digging Dr. Strange’s arc from greedy neurosurgeon to Sorcerer Supreme, and I can see an actor of Pheonix’s caliber digging the idea of the transformation of someone everyone thinks is an asshole (including the audience) into someone who’s noble and mystical.

Plus, his looks absolutely nail the good Doctor.

Arguments against: he may not be a “company man”. As against this, I could see him being in a position to think he’s done good by the indie/arthouse scene, and it’s conceivable he might want to kick back, have some fun and make some big bucks, even if it requires a commitment to a few movies.

So yeah, fingers crossed!

Fingers broken!

Yeah, Phoenix would be a huge coup, and fantastic for Marvel. They obviously wouldn’t do it without locking him up to a multi-picture deal, and while that doesn’t seem to be the sort of thing Phoenix would be interested in, he hopefully recognizes that a few huge paydays will buy him a lot of freedom to make the sort of pictures he might prefer – it certainly hasn’t hurt Johnny Depp, and guys like Robert Downey have also helped legitimize that sort of role (although RDjr was in a very different position at the time of Iron Man). He really would be great, and I trust his ability to be a bit of a chameleon and really inhabit the role.

Looks like Phoenix is in “final talks” to do Dr. Strange.

A great coup for Marvel, and fingers crossed, it could be a cracking movie, and a classy portrayal of a cool, mysterious, but slightly hippyish kind of superhero.

I just watched Gladiator again a few weeks ago and he’s phenomenal in that as well. He also knocked it out of the park with Walk The Line. That guy exudes talent. I’d watch a Strange movie with him in a second, and I know almost nothing about the character or comics.