Field of Glory Empires

That is great timing! How do me check to see if we have an active coupon? I can’t remember when I got my last one.

One early reaction that I have is that the assignment of objective provinces is a factor in the difficulty of playing a faction, that is not evident at first glance. (And I do not know how randomized those objectives are.)

I’m not sure if you can manually check, I had to click on a link in an email and log in to a special page with the code on it…

I think if you go to the slitherine login system and your account page, there is a link to show you if you have a coupon.

Yep, login to your Slitherine account…go to My Account and there will be a link to view anniversary coupons.

Anyway to add the 15% Slitherine code on top of the 25% Steam discount for having FOGII?

Asking for a friend.

Found it, thanks.

I have an 18% one on there, but if I did decide to get it the 25% one on Steam for owning FoG II is better.

Is there any benefit to linking my Steam account to my Slitherine account, like stacking the FoG 2 owner discount to an anniversary coupon discount?

I don’t think so. The slitherine coupon is only good through the matrix/slitherine stores. The way their store works with Steam, I don’t think they have any direct links between accounts. If you purchase through their store and want to play on steam, you have to take the steam key and activate it manually. Unless something has changed. I don’t remember previously linking my steam account so maybe it has changed.

Sorry if this has been already mentionned: is this a new engine from Ageod?

This is the Slitherine in-house engine “Archon”. All their internal games now use it - e.g the new Close Combat game will use it as well.

I have the below field in my account information. I didn’t know if I linked them if the Slitherine website would pick up that I own FoG 2 on Steam.

Capture

Worth a shot. I just checked. My account is linked and it only shows the regular price for me.

I had contacted them a bit about the messy nature of Steam/Slitherine games (some games port using keys, others don’t) and I had bought from Fanatical a key for a FOG2 expansion that only activated on Steam. They told me they were separating them.
So if you buy on Steam, you don’t get nothing on Matrix/Slitherine’s site, if you buy on their site you may get a key that work with Steam oftentimes, but it isn’t garanteed (better check first).

Thanks for that! I didn’t want to do it without knowing its effects.

Is the game balanced enough so that a minor power-I’ll just pick one at random-Judea-can amass enough Victory Tokens or whatever to actually win?

I played for a few hours yesterday and came away with a very positive impression.

As a learning game, I tried the Germanic tribe the Cheruscii. Isolated, strong army, ought to give me time to learn the game, right? Just conquer the cream of the unowned surrounding provinces, build up my civilization and culture, play friendly with any possible threats until strong enough to handle them. The old Civ drill.

Ha Ha Ha!

Out there in the barbarian forests, it is all against all. There is a reason why these people had trouble building up their civilizations, no one is going to allow you a moment to do so. Including regions that do not even look like factions.

My first impression is that they have nailed the situation in the Germanic north, and there are no quick and formulaic solutions. (Or at least such formulas were not apparent to me.)

I was quite surprised, though, to find that despite having watched some videos and having read a lot in the manual, a fair number of game pieces and rules were not so simple.

I thought that battles in forested regions always favored my medium infantry over heavy infantry, but it looked as though this were not the case when defending walled cities. I thought that it took three “killed units” in a battle to equal a victory and a pursuit phase, but that does not seem to be the case and I do not yet understand what triggers battle victory. I thought I understood the impact of support units behind front line infantry troops but found it difficult to know when this modifier would kick in.

And – crucial to gameplay – I found that if you lose a key region for a single turn and then re-take it the next turn, you have to “pacify” the region for quite a while before it reverts to its previous value. Rather a big deal if you plan to be a blob in the midst of weaker barbarian enemies, where you can beat anyone but cannot possibly prevent temporary incursions everywhere simultaneously. (Not to mention raiding)

Lots to wrap my head around, but an extremely interesting game, which so far strikes me as capturing the historical reality far better than other games.

I’ll check that out, thanks.

My initial impressions are also very positive to the degree that I probably spent 5 or 6 hours playing. My Messalia game went for most of that time but eventually my lack of manpower couldn’t keep up with constant barbarian incursions. Didn’t help that I wasn’t able to deal with my decadence problem early enoigh and ended up with a bunch of negative modifiers.

Playing as Macedonia now which feels like a very different game so far. Athens was kind enough to declare war on me without enough allies to back them up. Hoping I can secure the rest of Greece quickly before messing with any of the other successor states.

There is still a lot I don’t understand so it’s probably time to revisit the manual.

The email from Slitherine is hilarious.

“Disappointed Imperators have a second chance!”

Shots fired.