Final Fantasy VII is Back

I wish this had a proper turn based mode that wasn’t a dumbed down easy mode. I don’t like real-time combat.

I wish this had customizable scripts for your party members and dodge/block based melee combat designed by someone who had a goddamned clue instead of, apparently, a jumped-up animator.

I may be grumpy today. That is a distinct possibility.

I wanted to agree with this in particular, and honestly it’s bothered me since my first Anime experience in the 90’s when all my friends were super into it. What the fuck is up with that? Who just randomly mewls or grunts for no reason? I noticed it at the top of the demo myself, generally from the female character, but thankfully it diminished (or I got used to it) as the demo progressed.

It’s obnoxiously endemic in FFX too. I still love that game, but dear God.

Japanese has a TON of onomatopoetic noises, way more than English, accompanying a huge range of feelings and all sorts of phenomena that we wouldn’t even consider having a “sound” at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if that has something to do with it.

I mean, it was driving me crazy (as it always does) in Fire Emblem Three Houses most recently. I’ve never heard so many people verbalize “buh?” before when something confusing or surprising happens.

Disappointed to realize that the “turn-based” mode is like the original, which is a real-time system and not at all my idea of what I want in a turn-based game. Oh well.

Also why do Anime characters often say “huh” when spoken to? Is this some kind of Japanese language thing?

Yeah. Saying, essentially, “Eh?” is an extremely common expression of mild surprise.

I often hear both “heeeee” and “a-re” as Japanese sounds of astonishment/surprise.

And not actually that much like the original either, from what I can tell.

I lied the Demo a lot for this. I think the real time combat is really great! Feels much more modern to me. It’s a bit of a hassle having to switch between party members, but I think I could get used to that.

Wow, time flies, this drops in just a few days and reviews are up.

Release date is 4/10, and right now the reviews hover around an impressive meta-average of 88.

It sounds like they took the first 5 or so hours of the original game and got more than 30 hours of content, with all the characters a lot more fleshed out (even background shadows like Biggs and Wedge), with lots of great moments and (to me) interesting looking RPG mechanical stuff.

They want $60 for it, which if it’s 30-35 hours is fine by me, but my biggest gripe is not even knowing how many parts this will end up being - the developers don’t even know, it’s wildly frustrating! And $60 is a lot, even if the value is there, to drop on a game right now plus the fact is, it won’t get MORE expensive, so I’m going to wait a bit. Give them time to drop a patch or two, and see how it goes. I need to save up for the Frosthaven Kickstarter! That has a time limit while the longer I wait to play this the more likely I can just experience it on the PS5 and be that much closer to part 2. In theory.

I don’t care how great it looks and that it has 30 hours of content for the first part. If this game ends up being released in 4 parts, it means you’ll end up paying $240. For Final Fantasy VII. It’s really absurd. If this were a totally new game, I would be more willing to accept this, but at the end of the day it’s still FF VII.

It’s not like we get our other 80+ hour JRPGs in chunks. And all the development time and money spent on this when they could have released the next FF by now and a new Final Fantasy Tactics.

I haven’t followed the dev of this too closely…was releasing it in parts always part of the roadmap?

I ask because this really strikes me as “We’re going to remake FF7!!..oh crap, this is a ton of work and we will never finish” Cut to management meeting…“I know, let’s just release what we have, and say we’re going to do it in stages!”

If they were releasing this in parts, and charging 20 bucks a part for it maybe, but full AAA price for a segment of game that’s a remake?

I don’t think they have even decided how many parts it will be. The worst part in my book is that it’s undoubtedly going to be spread across multiple consoles. It’s Shenmue all over again.

Right, I hadn’t thought of that. Part 2 & 3 on PS5, part 4 & 5 on PS6!

Would this be a good way to introduce myself to the series? I realize that might be difficult to answer at this point, but thought I’d put the question out there anyway.

Final Fantasy in general, or FF7 specifically?

I think the original FF7 or any of the mainline games would be a better way to introduce yourself to the overall series.

Without going into spoiler territory, I also think it’d be better to play FF7 before playing this one.