Final Fantasy VII is Back

The “series” is extremely loose. I actually like XV, although I have yet to finish it. Maybe after Yakuza 6…

yeah, every game is pretty much standalone, so you can pick whichever one you want. Broadly speaking FF was always meant to be the “Technically pushing the boundary JRPG” series as a contrast to Dragon Quest’s “Keep it old-school w/ modern sensibilities” philosophy and that’s the extent of the continuity from game over game for both series.

So FF is Ultima?..always trying to push teh genre forward, and Dragon Quest is Wizardry, just keep on keeping on?

I mean, pretty much all JRPGs are Wizardry at the end of the day.

On the 7-to-9 scale that is, like, almost perfect!

For the rest of the parts of this, it just occurred to me - have they stated it will NOT be sold as DLC? I could see them selling part 2 as a $10-25 DLC and if that’s the case, I don’t think I have nearly as big a problem with a $60 purchase for part 1. Have they shot that down already and we know it’s going to be full priced parts going forward?

As far as I know, which is not very far because info on this is very hard to come by, probably because they themselves still have no idea how many of these they’re going to release, each episode is supposed to be “the size of a full game,” so I’d be incredibly, incredibly surprised if they released future episodes at DLC prices.

In fact, I’m just going to go ahead and guarantee they will not do that. No way in hell a Japanese console publisher leaves money on the table like that, especially since the next episode probably won’t even come out for the same console.

I don’t think they would do that, either. That seems more like episodic content in which case, this first release should have been $14.99 or so.

I don’t get Square. I think they try way too hard to “go big” and focus too much on presentation. All those years making XIII, then making it a 3-part game, then spending even more time making XV and now all the time turning VII into this multi-release and who knows when the other parts will be released.

I would love it if they just released a straightforward game with the old ATB or TB combat, with beautiful 2D artwork in the vein of the Ori or Hollow Knight games; basically an HD Bravely Default with higher detail character models and more animation and focus on a well written story.

I bet the followup to XV will be on a whole new graphics engine that will take them 5 years to develop and then take another 3 years of game development to bring us something even further away from what they did well so long ago.

Sadly I don’t think Matsuno is coming back after being railroaded off FFXII, heh.

I would love another FF XII-like game or follow up to FF Tactics, Ogre Battle or Vagrant Story.

This right here.

Though…

Obviously I can’t speak to the story or much of anything, but there is a new Bravely Default 2 coming on Switch that will be HD and looks gorgeous, fwiw.

This is a nicely formatted video - various editors weigh in on how long it took them to see the credits, with comments for each on how much or little time was spent on mini-games, optional quests, VR battles, arena fights, all sorts of content that isn’t required. Many of them commented on how they were so into the story, they wrapped things up faster than normal to see it conclude, and plan to go back and do missed quests and the like later.

For me, seeing some of the game footage (including things like weapon upgrades and locations/battles/moments) honestly got me more excited to play it again (I really did enjoy the demo). It’s going to be tough to wait on this, honestly.

It’s been nearly two decades since I played FF VII, but I think this could easily be done in three parts. The second could be the remainder of disc one and the third would be discs two and three, which needed more space on disc since they were basically open world, or at least the JRPG equivalent. The third disc was just the final dungeon and sidequests, for example. The Midgar stuff is probably a huge percentage of the actual story content anyway, so it makes sense that it would be the entire first part. Though, I also expect Square to sell each as full-price games.

That YT cover image asks the question:

“FF7 Remake: How Long Is It?”

And answers it thusly:

“Bewbz.”

Womp, womp.

It freaks me out when suddenly I become the most mature one in the room.

Maybe they could have even done it in one!

That’s crazy talk. They should have done it like a network TV show and released season VII in 26 parts.

They’ve been like that ever since the original FF7 got hammered for its bad prerendered cinematics. It was the only consistent complaint about the game back then. Square responded by transforming into half a movie studio and they’ve never been the same since.

I predict four parts. Three for the original game and a fourth where they do some epilogue fans will probably wish they hadn’t played. $60 each, of course.

Wait…people complained about the prerendered cinematics in VII? But those were the only part of the game that looked good! (They don’t hold up very well at all now, but the in-game graphics are still worse.)

WTF? FF7 is beloved to this day for bringing in the era of the cinematic RPG.