First DX patch is up!

http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=206992

• Defaulted Bloom to off when starting a new game.
  • Adjusted mouse movement to eliminate feeling of “lagginess”.
  • Adjusted the HUD so that it is pushed toward the edges of the screen.
  • Added option for turning all shadows off. This can massively improve performance, especially at higher resolutions.
  • Shrunk all text sizes.
  • Reworked mouse-based UI control within the inventory and biomod screens; right-clicking will now swap items in the inventory and toolbelt screen.
  • Added buttons for installing weapon mods and biomods.
  • The biomod/inventory/datavault hotkeys are now toggles (the same buttons will now both open and close these subscreens).
  • Added quick save/quickload keys. (F10/F12)
  • Non-hostile AI’s will now go hostile much sooner if shot.
  • Eliminated monitor resyncing during level transition and save game loads.
  • Increased the headshot damage multiplier for the pistol.
  • Increased the damage of the stun prod.

Gee, thanks Ion, the community had already done 90% of that themselves. OK, so pistol head shots now do more damage, but will the AI still stand there like a brain-dead target or will it react?

Oddly enough most of those things are problems that should have been fixed before the game was released. See , this is why game companies need to hire a amonkey to do play testing before a game is released to see if theres any gameplay issues that may need looking at. … oh and I still can’t play this game because it still requires fucking pixel shaders.

They forgot to have quicksave/quickload keys? One of the most basic things you stick in any PC game?

Not enough buttons on a X-box controller I’m guessing.

The funny thing is, this game was supposed to be pretty much done at least a month before launch. You’d think during that month they could have implemented things like Quickload/Quicksave. Heck, it only took them 9 days to do that after launch.

The AI isn’t so much bad as it is inconsistent, as I’ve noted before. If you, say, try to use a multitool to open a safe in front of the owner or a guard it will trigger the turrets (if any) and send the guards agro. If you start a firefight with a group that is not affiliated with the guards or under their protection the guards will investigate but won’t go agro on you. If you hack an ATM in front of a guard they will shoot you. If a guard is hostile to you and sees you it will react. The problem arises when when the guard should see you but for some reason doesn’t. I have never had an occasion where a guard would clearly see you, while in a hostile posture, and not react. They do not however react to drawn weapons more than to say something to you about it occasionally.

I had an interesting moment in the game regarding the guard AI.

-minor minor spoiler-

In the airport terminal in egypt, there is a receptionist and a WTO government official who argue a bit when you first approach.

Well… for obvious reasons I decided to kill the receptionist, but I didnt want to get the guards after me, and one was in the room. So I hid, pulled out my silenced sniper rifle and took her out. The guard noticed that the receptionist suddenly died, and shot and killed the WTO official.

I don’t know for sure why he did that, but if the AI decided the WTO official was the most likely killer, and acted accordingly, then that is pretty cool.

I know Deus Ex 2 has its problems, but I really enjoyed it.

I don’t know if it’s the patch or what (I also ran both tweaker programs, the german one the DXtool or whatever) but now I get totally smooth performance at 1074 x 768 x 32, medium shadows, on a radeon 9500.

REALLY makes a difference in game enjoyment – quickload and quicksave too.

patch makes the game much more smooth. I have faith in them again… for now.

etc

Let us talk about that after Thief III is released.

I don’t think the patch actually speeds up anything at all, save for removing the “bloom” effect.

It does alter the mouse responsiveness, though… and I don’t mean the “mouselag” variable.

It changes these two default.ini settings:
DynVPScale=80
DynVPMinRotationRate=30

Those numbers were like 100 and 120 or something like that, before.

It makes the game FEEL a lot smoother and more responsive, without affecting framerate at all.

Just goes to show you how important playtesting these things before release can be. Some trivial .ini file changes would have changed the perception of the game for a LOT of people.

Let us talk about that after Thief III is released.[/quote]

The fan backlash for Thief 3 is going to make that ruckus regarding the DX2 demo look like nice massages around a warm cozy camp fire.

The fan backlash for Thief 3 is going to make that ruckus regarding the DX2 demo look like nice massages around a warm cozy camp fire.[/quote]

Now you’re making me sad.

Any .ini file changes you guys would suggest making post-patch? I still haven’t installed my copy (played the demo, but I’ve been swamped).

The 1.1 patch sets appropriate values in the INI file.

The fan backlash for Thief 3 is going to make that ruckus regarding the DX2 demo look like nice massages around a warm cozy camp fire.[/quote]

So you think it will not be good?

Considering I have worked a little bit on the game, I need to respect the studio’s wishes and not reveal concrete things that they haven’t publically announced.

It’s a little early to tell about the quality of the game – the game might be good, it might be okay, it might be poor. But certainly, it will be different, due to at least one major design change that has a lot more fan-base-upset potential than, say, DX2’s unified ammo. (The change has been rumored by other people on these boards… it is true.)

Also, I think you can safely infer some things about the map design and AI by looking at DX2.

3rd person view, huh?

The E3 demo was in first-person and all the screenshots released were in first-person. It appears as if third-person will be an option, like Morrowind.