Fishing Sim World

So, for the career mode, are you required to try to catch fish like bluegill and carp or can you just do a bass circuit?

You can pick one (or more) of 3 pro circuits, bass, carp or predator. Bass is total weight of your best 5 fish. Carp is total weight of all your carp and predator is total length of all your fish.

So, I’ve been playing this for a little bit now, and can pretty consistently hit 600 lbs in the 60 minutes for the online carp tournament. That puts me at 21st right now (PS4, don’t know if this is cross platform). I’m using #2 hooks with the CR1 baits, switching between the popups and the bottom ones based on what hits most in the first 5 minutes. In the 60 minutes I’m generally reeling a fish and have at least another waiting the entire time.

I feel like I’m missing something in the retrieve to make the jump to 800/900. I’ve had good success keeping the tension just under breaking, but earlier in the thread ppl were saying to keep it at midrange. I’ve also found that I can sometimes drag a fish into net range, but not consistently. To increase the tournament weight, is it better to target smaller fish that land faster? Or do I need to keep working on that last minute jerk to get the fish in? Or do I really need to buy the extra tackle DLC?

Separate from carp… how do you turn your head to look where the boat is going while trolling? I’d have ripped the bottom off by now if it were a real one :-)

There are actually carp tournaments in here? LOL! I grew up fishing for bass, bluegill, and trout (once I moved to MI where there are some amazing rivers.) Carp was always considered a nuisance fish and usually harvested to get rid of overpopulation, it would have never occurred to me there were actually tournaments. But I looked it up and saw there are some (though some still look like harvesting, one actually used nets!

Carp is massive in the EU, we dont do bass or bluegil over here. Coarse fishing in the UK consists of lake mostly fishing for Carp, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Perch and Dace.

River its more barbel, grayling, eel, trout and salmon

Carp is the most popular as it is the biggest species. Pike and Zander is it’s own fishing as is trout and salmon. Some people fish all 3 but most do either coarse or fly fishing. Totally different types of fishing as well.

Remember the USA is not the fishing centre of the world ;)

Avengers assemble!

Carp isn’t native to Europe is it? If not, it seems like Carp out-competed most of the other large fish species and that’s the reason Carp fishing is so big?

BTW over here in the U.S. Bluegill = Bream. ;)

I do know some of the best river trout fishing is in New Zealand; on my to-do list.

Common carp is native to Europe and Asia… beyond their native waters they were spread everywhere because it was considered a decent food fish. (Same reason it was widely stocked in the US in the late 1800s). It’s a hardy, tolerant fish, so it does well in poor water quality which also helps it. Carp’s not a popular fishing fish in the US, but it’s occasionally popular in various locales.

@JeffL there’s some really large trout in the tailwaters downstream of various large dams in Arkansas (White River, Norfork, etc) if that’s closer for you than NZ. :) The world record brown trout was from the Norfork at one point.

Carp was big in the midwest when I was growing up, because they generally grew to be the biggest fish in local rivers. Unless you got really lucky and hit on a pike or an old catfish, they were sort of it.

I need help with night time carp fishing at waldsee

How is this game? I see it’s on sale on Steam and my daughters love fishing… thought they might enjoy it. Does it use a controller or K+M?

It is the best fishing sim I’ve played. Not that I’m play them a ton. But it requires strategy for finding the fish and skill to catch them. Nothing insane but it felt less like just a RNG than other fishing sims I’ve played.

Ooh, I didn’t know we had a thread for this. I semi-jokingly pointed it out in the Game Pass list to my wife, who has been doing a lot of fishing in Animal Crossing, and both kids were excited to play it, surprising me by fixating on it over any of the more obviously kid-focused titles.

Unfortunately, none of us know the first thing about real-life fishing (Animal Crossing LIED about how easy it is!), and the game doesn’t have much of a tutorial and seems to take a lot of context for granted. So we spent a couple of hours driving around in the boat, casting lines, and reeling them back in, but only got a couple of bites, and I caught one fish but am have no idea what I was doing differently.

Anyone have some complete beginner tips to help get them from the menu to actually catching a fish? Which type of fish is easier, where should they go to catch them, are they supposed to use different rods and baits and such, etc. The tutorial talks about finding areas near rocks or coastline features, but that didn’t seem to help much. And the tutorial covered casting the line out into the water, and how to adjust the speed you reel it in at, but nothing about why you would want to do that, how to get a fish to bite it, or what to do once they do. Thanks!

@Reemul got me into this game with this thread. I haven’t played in a while but there are some good tips early on in the thread. And the thread isn’t too long anyway. If I can remember other places I used when I got started I’ll post back here. But for now I’d check the top of this thread for some good help and answers to some newb questions.

Yeah I am still playing on and off, I play multiplayer against my son which is cool as well.

There are a few hints up the top, the thing is i’m from the UK and we don’t really do bass fishing as much as coarse so mostly we do the uk carp stuff and the Americans do Bass fishing.

From up thread

You start off with a basic set of coarse rods and tackle and the same with Bass rigs. As you level up you earn Tackle Points which you can spend on more varied baits, lures, rods, line etc. You also get a free boat but can upgrade them too.

As a coarse fisherman that’s where i started, Waldsee has some decent size fish and a good choice of species to fish for. Each lake has up to 11 different species and up to 25 or 30 trophy fish. These are named fish you can if lucky catch in the lakes, for example there is 183lb Catfish called Megelodon and a 80lb Carp called Fudgies. This does add to the challenge and spice things up as you get the fish in.

The mechanics are actually very good. There are 2 skill levels for casting, beginner (not actually tried advanced) which is right click to set cast and left click and hold for 0-100% the bigger the rod the further the cast, you can also cast under arm or over. Secondly there is a full hud with bite alarms or larger float indicators which can all be switched off to increase realism and difficulty. You get 4 rods 3 to cast and a spod rod to bait the area

I normally have 2 ledgering rods and 1 float rod. If you get a bite on the float rod you need to strike quick or it gets off and you either get a poor, good or perfect strike. On ledger they seem to self hook which is great and the the battle begins, you have a tension indicator which if goes to the red top for too long you line snaps and you can free move the rod keeping the tension on until you bring the fish in. There is no netting which I prefer once the fish is beaten and in close you auto net it and it swaps to a picture of you holding the fish giving weight, type, size and a name if it’s a trophy catch. My largest Carp is 65lb, Catfish is 83lb but some great smaller fish around the 10lb mark.

Now initially I was not too interested in the bass side of it but boy was I wrong, it’s great fun. The lakes are massive, get out on your speedboat, with fish finder and find some fish. Your boat can do trolling if you like or straight lure fishing off the boat or the side if you prefer. Different types of lures from surface to sinking to diving.

Cast out and wind in, speed can be from 1 - 5 then bang you get a bass on and it leaps out of the water barreling and rolling around and shooting off like a rocket. It’s very cool and exciting and sometimes tough to keep them on the line. I think my largest is around 10lb. Additionally you can fish for crappie, muskie and pike or zander all put up a great fight.

You can fish early, afternoon or evening as well as sunny, cloudy or dynamic.

My advice is to get stronger line asap, if you arent doing the coarse much not sure you need 50lb but 30lb or 50lb line asap would be smart.

Lake Arnold is great, northern map point, Cypress cove, head north west on the coastline get in amongst the trees, honeycomb popper on the surface, morning clear sky. I have 11/12 species from there. Oh yeah wind in speed of 2 seems to work best for me on the surface.

Some suggestions to help get going are

Make sure you try both coarse and bass fishing.

Set some goals, i’m going to cacth 1 of each species in this lake, or I am going to catch a carp in every carp lake or a bass in every bass lake. Stuff that is hard to catch are Pike, Zander and catfish could be hit and miss.

You don’t need to fish far out to catch the big ones, I got the 193lb catfish 10 yards out.

If you aren’t getting bites after 5 minutes swap baits or lures.

On good idea is on the coarse lakes you can ledger 2 rods and float 1(or ledger 3) giving more chance at getting fish, with lure fishing you really only get 1 rod

Good Locations to try and catch stuff are as follows.

Lake Arnold I found the easiest to get using lures, I have 11 of 12 species, get in amongst the trees on teh north west of the map, plenty of different species there. Trolling is ok but you need a lot of open space, normally I line the boat up troll at speed 2 and just let the lure follow behind but prefer lots of open space so I don’t have to mess with the steering at all.

Grand Union Canal: Under the bridge is a long row of lillies, great for catching Pike on the surface using a floating lure, caught Black Mamba the named Pike there.

Carp - Catch the biggest on Essential Cell Boilies the big ones 18mm. Easy to catch on the bottom using a size 4 hook, make sure you match the hook to the bottom, eg gravel, weeds or silt, this makes a massive difference. You need 1 of each type. Other good bait is Tiger Nuts.

Carp like margins in close or islands, getting in close to islands or tunnels of water where the fish have to swim through are good locations, Float fishing is good in close to the margins, float with a pop up boilie, tiger nut works well.

Good carp locations are Waldsee - swim opposite the island, cast at the island and get close, try to be deeper than 4ft if you can.

Manor Farm, bottom left side of the map in the corner is good for all carp.

To catch smaller fish like roach, rudd, tench smaller tackle is better 10lb line, size 16 hooks and casters, sweetcorn and bread work really well.

For Bass locations you need overhangs, trees and islands and try and fish in tunnels or near covering.

If you fancy a multiplayer game add me on steam (Reemul ) and we can hook up and I can give you some guidance or tips if you like

This perfectly describes actual fishing so I’d say the simulation quality is pretty high.

Thanks guys! I’ll try these out and see if they can make any progress.

How on Earth did you get up to 3rd place on Carp in online tourney??? I can’t get past 800lbs.

I don’t remember. Luck, probably.