Five Guys burgers: I just don't get it

As a child I hated veal cutlets. Mainly because my mother was just bad at it. She didn’t flour the cutlet before doing the egg wash. So the breading would just fall off. Then there it was, a grey dry tasteless piece of leather. It wasn’t until I had it at restaurants that I realized that it was actually tender and tasty. Now I won’t eat it for ethical considerations. Go figure.

My dad orders veal at Italian restaurants. Every time I even hear or read the word it is just a negative response. I probably can’t do foie gras for the same reason.

When I am a guest at someone’s home though, I try to be polite so I wind up trying a lot of things in that setting. I can’t do brain though, not even to be polite. The very concept of dipping into brain is just… no amount of politeness attempts is going to keep that from coming up again.

I get that. It’s a texture thing for me. Sweetbread, brains, tripe. Like you said, instant gag reflex.

My gf was raised much the same way. While she’s learned to eat a LOT more stuff than she did as a kid in living with me, we’ve never been able to break past the immediate revulsion and fury that her stepdad instilled in her with the stuff he’d force her to eat, like hamburgers and venison. That guy was a dick, though. . .

As with many Asian immigrants to the US, we grew up poor, but didn’t realize it until much later. I was raised with the “eat everything, nothing goes to waste” mentality. The nasty bits and cuts of meat were all prepared and eaten, and vegetables were mainly cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and onions.

That’s unfortunate. I don’t begrudge my parents… much, for the whole clear you plate, eat what you are given, eat until you like it mentality. They weren’t entirely jerks about it. I just think at some point you have to stop trying to get someone to eat what they don’t like… and when I say that I don’t mean just feed kids sugar and fizzy drinks, just… you know, maybe smearing something that looks like dog shit on a slice of bread and smells horrific isn’t something you should try to force, more than once.

I have eaten snails though. Maybe because of how they prepare them they don’t bother me.

We once had rabbit for Easter. :)

Best part of eating rabbit is the bunny references. Cute, little twitching pink noses. Also, Bugs Bunny.

I actually like escargot.

And I’ve had rabbit, alligator, even squirrel before.

My dad told me of one time he had raccoon, I am not so bold.

Deep fried gator is yummy. And you can wonder, am I eating a gator that ate a human?

Always.

This is for little Timmy!

My go to comfort food is literally a can of black eye peas. Maybe with a bit of black pepper, a couple saltine crackers and / or parmesian cheese (the cheaper the brand, the better here, since it’s the salt i’m looking for). If i’m feeling especially naughty, i’ll mix in some sweet corn. I eat this maybe once a year. I looooveee black eyes peas, always make them for New Year as well, it’s the law!

I also liked those “baked” or air fried okra, but 1) they come from Vietnam? and 2) they’re like $8 for less than a pound, so eh, no.

One semi-lost southern hospitality food that i feel like is on the verge of breaking out into the hipster mainstream again is salmon croquettes. My local HEB grocer makes pre-made stuffed salmon burger patties that are tastier than canned salmon by a mile (i think they’re just reusing unsold fish) mixed in with jalapenos and cheese and breading; cook 'em in a skillet and they’re functionally salmon croquettes without the prep. My grandmother used to make them and i thought they were weird; now? Hmm. Not bad sometimes. You know you’ve made them real croquettes if they taste best with ketchup. If you still have to use a fish condiment they’re not croquetty enough.

I’ve never been a huge fan of pimento cheese sandwiches; not enough ‘bite’, too gummy. Maybe a few really sharp, crisp pickles might help.

Today i try not to eat bacon. I’m not against it for itself or for religious reasons but because i’m trying not to support eating pigs in general. If bacon ect is shoved in my face regardless, i’ll eat it just so it doesn’t go to waste. I’m not going to make a scene over it or whatever. It does taste good after all! I just try not to buy or order it.

I’ll spare you guys the details of the time I ate dog, prepared 3 ways.

Hey, I wouldn’t do it. But I won’t put you down for it. To each their own. How was it?

Oh, heh, Chowhound, eh?

Is that why you have your username?

If not for religious purposes why?

And bacon makes the world go round.

And yes, I like good Salmon croquettes.

They are very smart affectionate animals!

(Also, delicious.)

The experience definitely left an impression for life, that’s for certain!

I was the least fond of the soup. It was slightly gamey and very oily, which left a horrible mouthfeel. The taste and oiliness coated my lips, tongue, inside of my mouth, and the beers and whiskey did very little to get rid of it.

That’s what permanently turned me off of your cheap snack cakes. That gritty, cloying, greasy feel afterwards. Like powder sugar coated lard soaked fine sand grains inside your mouth.

Are you referring to chowhound’ country? If so (or anyways) please fill me in on details cause I have no idea what you’re talking about hehe :)