Fleabag - An Amazon Original series

It’s only getting 2 seasons?

Right. Waller-Bridge says she intended it as two.

Diego

I wonder if things would be different if she wasn’t so busy but it’s a bit of a shibboleth of great British comedy.

Both Fawlty Towers (probably seen THE sit com in the UK) and the Office has two series. Though the latter adds a couple of Xmas specials.

Just watched season 2 in one sitting, wonderful wonderful stuff.

Only watched Episode 1 of season 2 so far but it was fantastic.

it happened, and it is already over, man. It is so dammed short, but what can you do.

3 episodes into Season 2, and it’s just as fantastic as Season 1.

I’m constantly backing up though, as there is so much going on that even if I’m paying full attention, I’m still missing stuff. I can only imagine the difficulty of the job of editing this show.

I absolutely loved the first season, but ended up holding off on the second season for a while due to my almost visceral dislike of Andrew Scott. I really shouldn’t have hesitated, though… three episodes in and it’s just as good as the first–and Mr. Scott has been not only tolerable but downright charming.

I started this a few months ago and loved the writing and the humor, but was turned off by the gross, self-destructive promiscuity of the main character. I didn’t give it long enough (or wasn’t paying enough attention) to realize that that aspect of her wasn’t just going to be played for fun, but was at the heart of her tragic situation. Loved both seasons. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a revelation on, like, five different fronts.

The ending is fantastic, we binged the second season in a night and now I wish I’d spaced it out.

Great ending to a good show. Looking forward to new TV shows from Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Re: Andrew Scott; I could not have agreed more, and he’s also why I waited despite the strong reviews. And I was absolutely wrong about him! He was excellent.

You know who else was absolutely wrong, though, the directors of Sherlock, for making him shouty/squeaky and one of the worst realized villains in recent memory. I’m relieved it wasn’t the actor, but ugh. Imagine this loose, seductive performance as Moriarty and how much better that would have been (a very human contrast to the mechanical Sherlock).

Haven’t seen this show, but they are cleaning up at the Emmys tonight.

My wife and I just watched both season back to back last month. Just an amazing show. Awards well earned.

There are numerous aspects of Fleabag that are really good but the gimmick of the show doesn’t click with me personally. I’d be curious to see how everything hung together if you took out the fourth wall breaking. It might all fall apart or still really click, but I think it would be interesting to see.

In season one, it isn’t much more than an opportunity for Phoebe to throw comedic reaction shots, occasional exposition, and one-liners to the audience. It helps that she’s wicked good at it. By season two, you really can’t call it a gimmick any more. She takes it to beautiful and inventive new places.

I’m only a few episodes into season 2 so I fully admit I might completely come around on it (haven’t yet), but it really detracted from my personal enjoyment of season 1.

I’m sure this will be a better deal for Amazon then a lot of the other showrunner deals mentioned in there.

I heard she was scouted by an Amazon rep while she was doing a one-woman show at Edinburgh Fringe.

Nice Vanity Fair interview:

Mrs. Kub and I were going to see the one-woman show in a movie theater, but missed out.

I didn’t know season 2 was the last, but glad she was convinced to even do a season 2.

May have to find her SNL episode too!

I was on a late flight back from DC last night and American Airlines was streaming this show. Had heard about it but hadn’t seen it. Watched two episodes. Poor guy next to me was trying to sleep but I kept laughing out loud. So wickedly good.