Forspoken - Fantasy Control

This is the first game I’m interested in that my Skylake will not even meet the min sys req, even with a 3060 Ti. Oh well it is a 6 years old system and it was a good inning.

Looking forward to playing it on Game Pass this summer!

Was it confirmed for Gamepass? I haven’t heard / read anything.

No, that was just me being snarky.

This looked like a “7 out of 10” to me from the jump. It’s probably not a bad game, but it’s certainly nothing I want to pay full price for or stop playing Ragnarok to get into. Maybe over the summer when it’s discounted down to $39 and has a few patches under it’s belt I’ll check it out?

Damn you are generous. For me this is gamepass/humble fodder.

It depends on how much fun the actual gameplay is. Game Pass would probably be the best way to give this a try, for sure.

I’m surprised to read that the game is relatively short. That makes me want to try it! I do love me some short open world games. There’s not many of those.

You’re mistaking me for Tom Chick, I think. :) I’m actually in favor of letting the players design their own fun (to a degree, of course, some developers can go overboard).

But I also read the game world is huge.

It will be one of those ‘90% of the content is optional’ open world games. It also seems it’s an easy game on the default difficulty, so lots of reviewers rushed it.

Pretty sure the TV ad says it won’t be on other consoles until 2025. I doubt it will be on Game Pass until then.

No prob, I can wait. I waited a decade for The Last of Us and that’s a game I really want to play. Just not enough to buy a console, I only do that for Bioware RPG exclusives.

Man, you got me - I actually just re-read your sentence as a postiive and it works well. Flat text, what can you do? I read it as snarky, my apologies!

Games journalists have always been known for their bigotry!

Seriously though, lavish open worlds are the expectation these days because they’re one of the few things game developers do well, and a bad story is another easy gotcha for mainstream game critics. So it’s no surprise to see it struggle a bit.

There’s enough there with the movement and combat that I bet it will become a cult hit for a certain segment of players. Someone on an action games Discord compared it to Prototype, which I’ve never played, but it seems like an underserved style of game.

I’ve also seen a couple of comparisons to Dragon’s Dogma. And looking at the reviews, there are at least a few really positive outliers, which is an encouraging sign that there’s something worthwhile there.

This sounds brutal.

That was an interesting review. It seems a shame that they botched the character so badly, in particular. Visually, she’s a great looking main character and I can see how she might fit into a story arc going from pissed off to resentment to grudging acceptance to sheer enthusiastic all-in bad-assery or something. Apparently though they do what I absolutely hate in books particularly, the thing where the main character continues to resist/deny/oppose the very clear reality around them because, well, reasons.

Systems wise, all the criticisms seem reasonable (again based on the video and the ideas alone, as I have not played the game).

I tried to make it neutral on purpose. Even though I don’t agree with him, I like Tom’s arguments in that particular debate, and I respect that there’s others who feel the same way. Heck, even I feel the same sometimes, though I usually don’t.

Major spoilers, but for those like me who will never play the game, just watching the particle effects is a treat.

Then I watched some clips of dialogue on Twitter and it made me want to die.