Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

I just found this:

Not initiallly, but you will be able to unlock a skill later on in the game that will give you the ability to upgrade walls that have been built already

So we’re just newbies that’s why we can’t upgrade them.

You can’t upgrade wood to stone or stone to metal. This used to be in the game but was later removed (as per random reddit post).

There are two skills to unlock that will let you upgrade existing materials to stronger versions of that type. Increases material hp and changes the look.

They are in skill tree one in the NW quadrant.

I think I still have the TS info. I don’t know if I’ll be able to hop on, but if I can sneak in for a bit, I’ll try!

I’m only 3-4 missions in, but most waves start when you activate the shield? It seems as if I have all the time in the world to explore the map and collect resources, then activate when I’m ready. Heading to the menu, I can craft anything, if I have enough of the proper resources, then add to my base. I’ve played mostly solo to get the hang of things. I imagine if you’re grouped up, as always, there’s a rush to keep things moving and you may not have time for carefree meanderings about the map.

Exactly. The few missions I went solo - I did do a lot more exploring around before I started the event. The following mission though, I was with 3 other randoms - and sure enough they started it while I was exploring and building up a site tower. I had to make a choice… learn how to build more or run back to base to help defend.

I chose to finish building up the tower - I wanted to learn some of the more advanced building techniques.

There was at least one mission where I was with other people where people actually asked “everyone ready to start?” very cool; but from past experience I know that’s not the norm in online games.

I’m typically on later in the evening ~10pm ET if anyone else is around, would be fun to team up. If you see me in send me a message, I’ll do likewise.

If you play with a smart group, they’ll take their time as well. Plenty of bonuses to be scored if you’re willing to explore as a group.

Ok so I am dual leveling a ninja and an outlander, and both are freaking awesome. :D

I love the silliness of this game. On our first mission, my son and I started by chopping down trees and building the odd shortcut to attics full of hidden junk / treasures (notice the “remodelled” house in the back).

But before you knew it, we had decided to use the houses as raw materials to get a crafting reward and we were running across the level on byzantine skyways with little shelters built high up in the air.

Scavenging and building is a lot of fun in itself.

And only when we had had our fill of running around building random stuff and finding all the blu glow did we start the mission. I like that the game let us take the time to have fun with the map it had generated for us.

I think I’ll definitely enjoy playing the game with my kids and friends who aren’t in a rush to immediately start the combat part of the mission.

How old are they? I’ve been thinking of getting some additional copies for my 2 boys. (there’s no way I could just get one) They’ve watched some streams of the game online. and it has a lot of the aspects of some Roblox games they play with a lot more reactivity and polish!

If anyone is interested in this on XB1, I’m going to grab a fancy pack that has extra copies and will part with them for $35. They include everything the $40 version does. Just lemme know on XBL if you want. I’ll have 2 extra copies and can use paypal. Still loving the game, Mikagami and I have been playing quite a bit.

You’ve got it good (relatively). If I had to get copies for all my kids and me, I’d be buying 5 copies total. Eek…

The son I played with is my 15 year old. He loves the messing around part. My 19 year old twins might be interested (and it would be cool to have a party on hand to head into the harder mission) but I’d need some assurances they will make time to play with us in between League of Legends and Overwatch.

I’d assume your boys are on the younger side? I also have a 10 year old daughter who watched us play and loves the building and scavenging. I’m not sure she is that keen to get into the fighting or figuring out the overcomplicated skill trees and squad building. I’d consider her borderline for the game (though she does play Overwatch, so it’s not just that she doesn’t like shooters). I’d probably need to micromanage her progression quite a bit.

Interesting. I’m watching the devs play on twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/fortnitegame

And it turns out that the game supports viewer quests. Once the broadcaster finishes a mission, there is a chance (it’s not guaranteed), that some of the viewers will receive a special quest:

EDIT: Got a quest while watching the stream. Gives you a reward for doing something during missions and, if the streamer is still online, will display your name on their stream. Pretty cool:

I can see streamers loving the part saying “Subscribe to X and you’ll receive even better rewards next time”. Hmmm…

yep my boys are 10 and 7(nearly 8) So the building they would love as well as the blasting of the zombies!
They certainly made this game very kid friendly with the limited blood and guts!

bummer that it looks like the twitch integration isn’t on console

edit: I may have been wrong, they patched it in.

Going to be streaming this at www.twitch.tv/harkonis and if you also link your twitch to your game you can get special quests by watching. <-- self plug over.

I’m going to be online for a bit so feel free to hit me up! I’m gonna send ytou a friend request hark

Friend me or I will cut you: codinghorror

I’ll be on in 15 min.

MUST BUY!!!

Had a few fun rounds with @ducker and @monofurioso , this game is super addictive.

Must loot everything…