Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

The problem is upgrading to level 3 when you are still in area 2, because then you will need malachite that you will not have.

It’s great that the game lays all of this out for you in such an intuitive way.

Yeah, I agree. I believe it shows the new resource requirements, but it really is something that deserves a warning like “Evolving this schematic will require a new tier of resources. Are you sure?”. It’s really easy to overlook otherwise.

I don’t believe there’s any sort of issue with evolving a hero or survivor, so knock yourself out there.

Oh, and @DeeptT, in regards to base defense missions in Plankerton, they really do start ramping up in that zone. You’ll likely want to bring some “friends”, which thankfully are usually easy to find for those missions (everyone likes to get a mini llama).

I believe those kind of changes are on the roadmap to official release.

Anyone know if there is a penalty for failing a stormbase defense?

Just repairing any damage caused. If you failed it meant something smashed through your walls and got to the shield, so you’ll have to fix those up.

Ah ok, I did the 4th or 5th one the other night solo, but I was starting to get overwhelmed, and no randoms were joining. Guess I should give the defender pads a better look at, and get a NPC up front to thin the herd a bit.

Yeah, its hard to get people to join you for those defense missions. Out of 3 of the higher ones, only once did a single person join me. I currently don’t have any friends playing fortnite. My commander name is TheSilverHammer if anyone wants to add me to their fortnite friends.

In alpha, there wasn’t an automated way to get people into defense missions. Asking in the global chat usually resulted in a full group real quick, though. That approach may still work.

Reach out to me on the friends list if you’re looking to do this!! If I’m away, I can tell when you I’d be available to help out!

Just received a survey from Epic regarding Fortnite via email. My past experience with these surveys is that the team is very receptive to the feedback received. Several issues that were brought up were tackled in the next major update, so if you have gripes about the game, make sure to fill it out.

Edit: I’m doing the survey now, but they are inquiring about “Do you feel you have enough resources to craft?” and “Do you feel you have enough resources to build?”. I figure @DeepT might have a few things to say. :)

I have not gotten a survey. Realistically though, do people agree or disagree with my crafting gripes? 16 level 3 walls for 999 resources I feel is wildly wrong. I suggested a reduction to 25%, which would yield 64 walls per 999 resources although even this might be still a bit grindy. Even traps should be cheaper since you can’t collect them or recover resources from them.

Basically, among other things, I think the most important / fun aspect of this game is to be building large forts, filled with traps, that you defend against waves and waves of zombies.

I would also add, although its too early to tell for me (not high enough level) rather than simply increasing the HP of every monsters as difficulty goes up to increasing the quantity instead.

Lets say husks had 50 hp and 20 spawned per wave. If you increased the difficulty Id much rather have 40 husks spawn at 50hp each rather than 20 at 100hp each.

I think they just increase the HP of the basic monsters mostly. I am not sure about this yet.

Unfortunately, I think there is a limit on how many AI enemies they can have in play at the same time due to the console constraints. I don’t know if they have a lot of wiggle room in that regard.

There are not that many of them right now and the AI is really dumb. Maybe that is an issue, but I would doubt they are anywhere close to the limit. It really isn’t all that many enemies at the moment, but perhaps I am wrong.

They also add a lot of difficulty by the types of monsters they start sending at you in later areas, rather than just HP/numbers. Numbers of monsters do seem to go up, though.

Regarding crafting, I don’t have much of an issue with the resource costs, although I wouldn’t have any problem with them lowering the cost of walls and such. Exploring/harvesting/looting is a core game mechanic and I typically fill up on the basic resources accidentally as a byproduct of searching for other things I want (machine parts, stuff to make blasting powder, etc).

One problem I had when I first started playing was overbuilding, both in terms of walls and traps. Do you need level 3 walls on your missions? Do they need to be stone/metal, or will wood make do for a some of them? There’s also teammates and their resources that can be contributed to the base defense. The supply drop gadget can help a little bit with this when upgraded, although it won’t compare to an Outlander’s loot llamas (although both combined are pretty sweet).

I don’t start laying down a bunch of traps until the waves start, and I can gauge how we’re doing (I’ll have crafted them beforehand, just not placed them). I’ll place them at key chokepoints, but other than that I wait and see.

The only thing that makes me nuts is that it’s often impossible to tell, even with the “storm radar” hints, where the attacks will be coming from exactly. Triply so if you have a mission defense in an oddly situated location with terrain hills, ramps, etc further clouding the issue. So building any kind of directional defense other than “omni”, is kind of a trial and error PITA.

I would almost prefer a classic tower defense arrangement where you see actual lines on the ground depicting where the enemy will march forward.

Yeah, that’s why I wait until the first wave to start slapping down my (pre-built) defenses. Especially if you have a compatriot or two, you can hold off well enough until you can see how things are flowing. Fortify that side then rinse and repeat the second wave. Of course, there’s other times I just go balls out with cheap green traps if I’m running low on inventory space and have a surplus of twine and other junk.

Arrrgh I sent out three expeditions of 51, 52, and 63% chance respectively, and ALL THREE FAILED.

Why have you forsaken me, rngesus?

Ouch. RNGesus giveth and he taketh away. Sorry man.

I had to put the game down in disgust for today.

I died in a mission for basically the first time. This resulted in the mouse sensitivity for almost the rest of the mission being super low. Changing it in game did nothing.I was only saved because my mouse has a hardware selector to go to a SUPER insane high DPI profile which made it playable. After about 7 minutes it fixed itself.

After that i was fighting, an enemy charged me knocking me back and i got stuck in a wall. It was impossible to get out and there were no enemies nearby to kill me. I had to abandon the mission near the end.

I get so tired of early access games sometimes.