Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

Yea, but December was Christmas season, lots of time to play, buy, and gift-exchange Fortnite space gold. And although the article doesn’t give hard numbers, it does point out that December was “particularly lucrative,” so maybe it would have been hard to match in January as a matter of course.

I wonder how the possible new Respawn® mechanic would affect Fortnite though, since it wasn’t really designed around it. Maybe they’ll do a test run, like with Thanos.

Yes, there are probably seasonal effects. But analyst reports place Fortnite as highest grossing F2P game of 2018 as a whole. While for January it’s at 5th for pc and not in top 10 for consoles or mobile. So Fortnite seems to have been hit a lot harder than other games.

Seems the developers are now stealing skin concepts off of people posting their art drawings on Deviantart.

3 options

• they did copied it
  • they accidentally made the same thing (1 in 1 million, but I am sure theres more than 1 million drawings in devianart, for sure on the whole internet)
  • both copied from the same source
  • (Forgot about this one), Ruby is a liar

That’s pretty blatant. The only “reasonable” defense is that both the Epic skin and the DeviantArt drawing are based on something else, but that’s a whole other issue anyway.

You missed a fourth option, which is that the artist faked the whole thing. Given the tweet lordkosc linked to has now been deleted, I’m going with that option.

Yes, that has been proved already. Read the resetEra thread, blah blah.

I thought it was suspect how they were virtually identical. Some artists steal, but when they do it’s more like ‘a very close inspiration’ from the original design. Why would they bother to copy the most minutia detail or use the exact same color scheme, etc.

In fact it’s funny if you think about it3: 3d character artists indeed live off from copying, but from copying officially: their work is to translate 2d character concept art from a work colleague to a 3d render. If you have seen concept arts of other games, you will see the design usually changes a bit when it’s done in 3d, it isn’t a 100% translation. It’s hard to and some things happen to not work in a 3d model.
But somehow this artist had made a ‘better’ job at copying and making a 100% faithful representation of the 2d ‘stolen’ concept art, when the normal thing would have been to change it a bit more than usual to avoid being caught.

The real reason they were sooo identical is because someone had made the real copy (the 2d version) identical for a reason.

Yes, thanks to DeviantArt’s edit function which apparently lets people edit their work, without noting the edit date.

I guess some people hate Epic so much they’ll do anything to drag them through the mud. What’s next?

Yep super fake, stupid people out there.

Tim Sweeney sexual harassment allegations?

I feel like one could come up with a very entertaining Bingo card!

Oh dear lord.

It looks like they got to the bottom of it quickly though. Hopefully that nips that particular scheme in the bud, and we can go back to artist going after big clothing outfits for actually doing that.

“Will no one rid me of this meddlesome game?”

Addiction aside, I have issues with marketing Fortnite to young kids. Despite the cartoony characters and no blood, the guns and shooting make this a game for teens and older in my view. Additionally, I find that when a character is dying, and they crawl desperately (to be resuscitated), only for their pursuer to put them down, has an extreme cruelty feeling to it and is worse than much of what is found in bloodier games.

Man, shooting up Nazis and gibbing hell demons built some real character for me when I was a kid.

You know, I appreciate where he’s coming from, but you just can’t ban things that people get addicted to. People can get addicted to anything. I know workaholics who have run their health into the ground and destroyed families by not being able to stop. I know alcoholics who have damaged their lives and the lives around them. I knew athletes who let academics and everything else go by the wayside so they could relentlessly pursue their sport and ended up in bad situations after high school. I myself am overweight and the reasons for that are because I eat a little too much of the food I enjoy which, especially now that I’m entering my 40’s, could have health implications if I don’t take additional steps to start shedding the weight.

We can’t ban basketball, work, booze, and bakeries just because some people overindulge.

This is what I’m talking about. To me, it’s training cruelty – towards other players, no less.

I also find the cartoony presentation of the violence far more disturbing than if it were just dark and gory (which would push young kids away). It’s as if it sanitizes the violence. “Now you can show your 6 year old how to shoot people with guns! Look how cartoony and silly everything is!” The same thing that pushes me away as an adult (the cartoony nature) will reel my kids in.

But those aren’t created expressly to addict you, and they have value that outweighs addiction…that’s the argument!

Was this just a fad game that people played because there were stories about it being popular and having dances in it?

Remember when the GTA games were creating an entire generation of murdering gangster psychopaths?

Oh and those heavy metal songs?..the Devil corrupting our youth I tell ya!!

Yep! And comic books, movies, television, rap music…