Forza Horizon 3 - Car collecting down under

Yes, the store is so perfectly fine that it took Richard Leadbetter of digital foundry only 2 days to download the game because the store kept crashing on him and something as immensely sofisticated as “resume” function doesn’t actually work:

All he had to do to make it work was reinstall windows from scratch, very nice and clean solution, no?

I have read dozens of reports from people across various forums with issues that mirror my own problems with it from months back. But hey, perfectly fine. People must be irrationally hating on MS who only have a PR problem.

FWIW, I had no issues downloading the Forza Apex Beta, so I’m assuming FH3 would also go smoothly but you never know. While there’s obviously an issue people are running into, to say the whole system is crap because of that is ignoring all those for whom it’s working just fine.

Anyway, on Apex Beta I maxed every setting at 1080p and never dipped below 90fps on two races. Obviously the technical requirements are different in an open world game but maybe the beta gives some indication of performance in FH3.

I won’t pretend like my “woe is me” story should make things any better for people having trouble, but unfortunately this is a case of trying to do something better, and introducing unexpected bugs as a result.

The Windows Store doesn’t straight-download files in an ordinary HTTP/HTTPS transfer. It does some more sophisticated things to eliminate any sort of extra disk space requirements (like needing double the space for install), and to make things overall more efficient for disk and CPU utilization. The same code is also used for both new installs and updates, and for updates it enables progressive delta updates so that you only download what’s new, without requiring developers to create any sort of special update package. It just works automatically. It’s all really awesome…when it works as intended.

All that complexity + some new functionality introduced to enable preloads resulted in a problem where some downloads are restarting from zero instead of picking up from where they left off. The test environment differed in a very tiny but important way that prevented this from getting caught in time. A fix has already been built, and will be released soon.

None of that makes it any better for anyone who’s still having problems now, and none of it should be excused, but that’s simply the reality of things right now. It sucks for everyone, but we’ll learn and get better. Just thought some might appreciate the inside baseball.

This game has a pretty good soundtrack too.

I didn’t have any problems. And isn’t Digital Foundry paid by Sony? They always seem to bitch on MS and shit on all things Xbox while PS4 is the godsend of all consoles. That site can’t get its nose out of Sony’s pooey butt.

Oops… I spoke too soon, I saw my download is not going too fast…looks like it crashed. OMG FIX THIS!!! Well I have The Crew Wild Run to play while waiting.

Nope.

Thanks for the info…

I appreciate this info. Just hoping you guys manage to fix it fully soon…and that whoever is in charge of pricing comes to their senses.

No, Digital Foundry is not paid by Sony. What a ridiculous post. Did you actually watch the video? Heard how epicly Richard is praising Forza Horizon 3 after he finally made it work ?

I am sorry but these bugs are so…out there

I made a Quarter To Three club. It’s called Quarter To Three, privacy is set to “open to friends”, so if we’re not already friends on Xbox Live, add me! Gamertag: Schmidt.

I sent out invites to a handful of you but I’ve forgotten who’s into racing games, so don’t take it personally if we’re already friends and I didn’t send an invite. You should still be able to search for the club and join.

I presume this is effectively a cross-platform game, right? Can the PC and Xbox One play with each other?

-Tom

Weirdest thing about the demo for me- Australia is left-hand-drive, but the cars aren’t (at least the one I drove in the demo wasn’t- not sure how the full game fares). So you’d be keeping right in road races to avoid the infrequent oncoming traffic, but that wouldn’t work out so well… hard habit to break.

Correct!

The digital version is also ‘play anywhere’, meaning you buy it once and can play on both Windows 10 (with Anniversary Update) and XB1.

You keep left to avoid oncoming traffic. Only a few cars have steering wheels on the right though.

I just tried it on my PC. So cool to pick up where I left off, with all my customizations, etc.

And man, FH3 at 3,440x1,440 Ultra settings is a thing of beauty. Fills enough of your peripheral vision that it’s almost like VR until you turn your head. :)

All right you jokers talked me into it, my copy of FH3 is on the way.

Stop it you guys! I’ll join you guys in November or December. I don’t have time for a driving game right now.

On the bright side, by December you guys will set some nice times for me to beat.

This is a really good game. If there’s a downside, it’s that it will once and for all kill my plans to revisit The Crew.

What do you guys who are playing think of the scenery? I am not usually into car games, but the appeal of driving around a virtual WA (which I have travelled around myself and loved) is a big draw.