Fox News thread of fine journalism

Dude, Oscar Wilde was a fucking poet who died in 1900. And my description is in fact exactly what every mainstream economist in the world thinks.

Oh, you think it’s value? Ok. How do you calculate that? Oh, you can’t. It’s literally impossible. Because that value doesn’t exist as literally ANYTHING outside of your own, entirely subjective opinion, which is different from literally every other person’s.

And again, I’ve already said this multiple times. It’s not that price equates to your subjective value. I explicitly stated this. Indeed, it’s explicitly NOT exactly the same. For the buyer, their value is higher than the price. For the seller, it’s less. That’s what facilitates the exchange.

But the only value that exists outside of those purely subjective opinions that we all have, is the price of the commodity in the market. That’s what price is, and why for all intents and purposes within an actual economic system, it’s the only representation of value that matters. It reflects the agreed-upon, emergent notion of value as derived by the hive-mind of the market. It is the value that comes about from combining the subjective opinions of all the individuals participating in the economy.

Seriously dude, you aren’t going to win the argument by regurgitating Marx, because his arguments have been demolished by literally a century and a half of economists.

Fairness isn’t a thing, dude. It’s another purely subjective thing. It doesn’t matter if I think something’s fair. That may play into my own personal representation of value, but it’s just something that exists in my head.

Barring the existence of some omnipotent superbeing passing judgement, there is no objective measure of “fairness” that you can say is “correct”.

When I worked in a SCIF, we had a bunch of screens tuned to 24hr news when they weren’t being used for presentations. It was (usually) non-controversial and you could argue it was even necessary to stay up on current events.

Ya, I’ve been in a number of large government simulation labs which essentially always have Fox on.

It’s put on by the older guys, and a lot of the younger engineers are kind of put off by it.

They should keep Trump’s Twitter stream up on a screen too, since both that and his appearances on Fox news are great sources for intel. Stuff like when the USAF is planning bombing sorties and other stupid minor things.

I work evenings in a large government building that has CNN on every TV.

I’m sorry.

Thus my hatred for CNN. :)

This.

I’m really suspicious of Western’s spouting off about the Quran. (Ok maybe not Tom with his fancy Harvard Theology degree) As a 12 year old kid who read the bible cover to cover (ok maybe skimming the begats parts) and then stopped going to church, I found reading the Quran extraordinarily tough. I spent two whole afternoons, with computers and cellphones turned off, trying to read two different translations of the Quran.

The main thing I took away is that these 20-something western kids, many of them with ADD, who joined ISIS and have claim to have read the Quran are liars. For most westerns, who smirk at the lyrical flowery translations of modern Arabic, not speaking Arabic is huge handicap in reading the book. I found it like trying to follow somebody on an acid trip.

Last time I mentioned this, somebody on QT3, maybe Enidigm, suggested that listening to it is easier. Since listening to somebody on an acid trip is kinda of entertaining, I believe them. But I seldom have the patience to listen to QT3 podcast so listening to the Quran isn’t happening in this lifetime.

I guess I don’t understand the huge pushback against Rod’s points. ISIS and Al-Queda claim to be inspired by the teaching of the Quran and Islam. I blame Christianity for the Crusades, the Salem Witch trials, the oppression of woman, the moral support of slavery, and host of other historical and current problems. I also acknowledge that Christianity has done a lot of good in the world, and that much of worse excess of Christianity are no longer part of mainstream Christianity.

As folks who know a hell of lot more than I do about Islam, have pointed out Islam is 400-500 years younger the Christianity, and more than thousands of years younger than the other major religions. Maybe religions are like people they take a very long time to mature. I don’t know.

What I do know is today is that there is a very high correlation between fucked up place to live and places where Islam is the dominate religion. Sure there are exception, Guatemala and Nicaragua are Christian. Russia and North Korea, are not very religious and screwed up, Mynmar is Buddist and bad. Sub-Saharan Africa has so many problems that is hard to put the finger on any one religion.

But the fact remains, starting with Morocco, and stretching all the way to Indonesia there is band of countries where Islam is the predominant religion. For the vast majority of countries, they are horrible places for women, religious minorities, atheists and gays to live, and not great places for Islamic men to live either.

Muslims in America,with a few exceptions haven’t been a problem. However, in many European countries this century has seen a rise of predominately Muslim areas. These areas suffer from high crime, poverty, low employment, and have been breeding grounds for terrorist activities.

As @Tomchick said correlation isn’t causation, but it is also foolish to deny that there is a strong possibility that Islam is a major contributing factor to their woes.

We have a whole thread for this aspect of the non-Fox News discussion, here: https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/islamic-exceptionalism-realism-or-bigotry

Ok I missed this being created.

Yep, great stuff - I just happened to read that too. THIS IS FINE.

You completely left out (see what I did there) the Marxism discussion however!

Yeah take your discussions about Islam and the role of government in the power structure of countries off the topic about the topic about the news network that pretty much says the only religion that is okay is Christianity and the only political party that is to have all the power is one true gospel of the GOP.

Speaking of which, Ryan fired the (Catholic) House Chaplain:

“Some of the more conservative evangelical Republicans didn’t like that the Father had invited a Muslim person to give the opening prayer,” the source said.

Well he must have misread the line where it said worship the golden president and all he says and does to giving a shit about other people in general.

Which is funny. Even funnier considering he wasn’t actually thrown out and left a tip.

The whole Fox phone call this morning is well worth watching if you want to hear a senile old man ranting to his “friends” on national TV. The expressions of the idiots hosting F&F are priceless.

Trump is still the drunk racist uncle sitting on the trailer porch.

Thanks for posting the link to the full interview, if you can call it that. This morning I went to FoxNews website figuring I’d find links to it as being the top news, big headline type of story. After all, an interview with the President is a big deal.

Instead, what I found was one link to commentary by someone who I think is from the Fox Business news channel and whose main point is letting Trump be Trump is a bad idea.

Maybe due to the 24 hour news cycle it got lost but… no, that’s not it. On their own website Fox News is burying the interview.