Fox News thread of fine journalism

Wait…the end part of that has the hosts saying “We’ll see you next Thursday.”
Does that mean this phone in deal is going to be a weekly thing?!

Or they were calling him a tapir on air in front of America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2018/04/26/fox-friends-stuck-with-donald-trump-for-all-eternity/?utm_term=.ac597555a1d9&wpisrc=nl_rainbow&wpmm=1

Alexandra Petri, killing it:

If he were just left to talk long enough, he might start sloughing off the onion layers of his personality and reveal things about his heart and his childhood that no one had ever before been told. But already they could tell that this would not be the case. This was not the kind of interview where if you just sat there long enough you would discover something new; it would simply get more and more alarming as it doubled back on itself, it would be an interview drawn by M.C. Escher or Salvador Dalí where you were trapped and circling around and around in a dream-landscape with a nightmare physics that bore no resemblance to reality and every clock in the studio melted.

LOL, so good!

“All right,” Earnhardt said, trying frantically to remember whether America had agreed on any kind of safe word before the election.

I saw a BREAKING NEWS headline on CNN at work last night that mentioned a Cavuto, and while this guy was my first thought I just knew it couldn’t be about him. But slowly and surely Trump is losing his backers at Fox.

I think if evidence finally came along that would end the Trump presidency they would dump him in a heart beat, Of course they would then all fall in love with Pence.

“None of this makes me a Never Trumper.”

If someone wasn’t a Never Trumper in the fall of 2016, I don’t give a shit if they become one later.

We knew everything we needed to know months before the election.

It’s like Neil is just hedging his bet. It’s a lot of “here’s a giant pile of bullshit, but eh…it’s OK!”

Ya know, I’m fine if someone’s not a “Never Trumper”. If Trump does something good, then fine, I’ll give him credit. Whatever.

What I can’t stand is the “always Trumper”, where their principles and ethics just shift constantly to accommodate whatever attrocity Trump has most recently committed. The hypocritical evangelicals who give Trump infinite “mulligans” for his absolute lack of any moral fiber, while simultaneously pretending that such things are important to them. People who supposedly stood for fiscal conservatism, but then think isolationist trade practices are fine now. The list goes on forever.

It’s those people who should die in a fire.

Has Cavuto decided to be a “sometimes Trumper”? Seems like he’s still in the always camp, AND he’s furrowing his brow over some of Trumps latest stupidity, but…that’s not gonna push him away.

I would agree. It’s the people who support him even when they know that if he was a democrat they would be screaming from on high that he was the devil himself.

I have a problem with anyone who follows the “he is my guy so i have to always agree with him” line of thinking. You see it on both sides, so it is not unique to the Trump lovers, but seeing the religious right fawn all over the guy when it is now very obvious that for Trump the sanctity of marriage doesn’t exist is just the highest point of hypocrisy. They should all be demanding he resign and asking for Pence to take over.

I think the mere fact a Fox face questions Trump is telling though.

Sorry. You lost me there. Being a Never Trumper is like being a Never Satan-er. Or a Never Hitler-er. Sometimes it’s better to hate a person and their ideals.

Except, by and large (I’m sure there’s exceptions) what “Never Trumpers” object to is style not substance. Being a “Never Trumper” really doesn’t mean a whole lot in the end.

A lot of never Trump people really disagree with blowing up the deficit, targeting Muslims, both sides Nazi support and other things.

The biggest problem with Trump is not his fairly standard GOP policy crap, as much as it might pain most of you guys.

The biggest problem with Trump is that he’s causing major damage to the underlying foundations of our democratic institutions.

Other policy stuff can change as time goes on. Turning the US into an authoritarian state cannot be reversed once it progresses to a certain point.

I agree. A Romney or Rubio presidency would have been far less troubling even though many of the same (IMO) terrible legislative choices would likely have happened.

My one asterisk is climate change. There’s not a huge window of time and any party that pretty much consistently denies it is potentially risking far more than the political traditions of one republic. But I guess time will try that one.

Climate change is already basically lost. We went over the edge years ago - changing course to correct it is basically impossible at this point.