Fox News thread of fine journalism

Well isn’t most of it controlled by Sinclair now? I was pretty surprised how much they have. It can hardly be called local at that point.

How else will we know which common household products endanger our children?

Local news is just fearmongering interspersed with weather and sports information you can get faster online. Fox News is racial fearmongering, without the local weather and sports. Evidently, people love being frightened and angry.

My wife considers local news the only news worth watching. And she kind of has a point, in that it’s the news that most directly affects people’s lives. The local news here in KC isn’t bad.

What see, in order from most often to least often:

1. Weather - this is super important, especially when severe weather is heading your way
  2. Local murders - like @Scuzz said above, this is mostly minorities killing minorities, but there is a LOT of this news
  3. Sports - KC Royals, KC Chiefs mostly, with 10 second highlights of our MLS team. Also extensive highlights of college basketball for KU and Mizzou fans.
  4. Local politics - this is handled fairly evenly and handled well.

I don’t know how much Sinclair controls the content of a one hour local news show. We have a Sinclair Channel here and other than using video from other stations nationwide (they even use CNN) I don’t think they are much different from the other three local news presentations. They are an hour, so they do need more content, but it’s not like they are constantly praising Trump.

When I first moved to CA I watched a ton of local news to acclimate myself. I knew absolutely nothing about the area, and while watching five hours of local news a week probably wasn’t the best way to learn, it worked. Seeing the weather maps, traffic maps, wildfire stories, etc. really helped me understand the lay of the land.

Now, since a bunch of racists elected a fascist to the White House, I just watch Maddow every night.

Yeah, that makes sense.

You saw the directive they gave though right, where hundreds of stations across the country were ordered to say the exact same thing? It’s pretty easy to assume they do that frequently enough without anyone noticing, just behind the scenes. They clearly have a national agenda they’re pushing under the guise of local news.

I haven’t watched the local news on purpose for over 10 years. I feel like my life is much better for it. It’s all just murders and other crimes that make it seem like the world is a much more dangerous place than it is.

I can get my sports and weather highlights from my Amazon Echo in 20 seconds.

Have you watched a Sinclair Channel? I doubt you could tell the difference in most cases. As I said, the one here is an hour long, so they do have more content, but other than the outside video stuff, some of which may be what Sinclair dictates, I doubt you see anything different from the other news channels.

And as I said, they also feature CNN news video and some other cultural outside stuff. They have Circa as a partner, which I wouldn’t call a conservatively produced product.

Yes. We have at least one here. Are you saying you’re unaware of the directive or you are aware they did that?

I am saying I think you are reading more into that than exists, at least at my local station. I will admit to only watching occasionally and we normally turn it off after the weather, about 30 minutes in.

But if you think they are sticking evil subliminal Trump stuff into their daily news show I would say you are being paranoid.

When I get done laughing, I’ll tell you to look around and ask me how paranoid I am. But yeah, there are bunch of people out there who believe that crime is up and they’re going to be killed by some brown person any minute now because I’m paranoid.

Yep, people believe crime is up because that’s what the news focuses on. And then fucking morons like Trump, Hannity, Sessions, etc, just fan those flames as much as possible.

Well, there is this.

What scares me is that it’s evil is only really visible after you realize everyone is repeating the same thing. Without that information it all looks benign.

If this is visible, you have to think about what else is slipped in that you aren’t aware.

Well Scuzz would have us believe this only ever happened once. That it couldn’t possibly be that it was only noticed on a grand scale once. They clearly have no qualms about directing local stations to repeat their messages.

And absolutely, people who get their primary news from local news seem to believe that crime has never been worse, believe me, it’s way up, worse than ever before and all those police shootings, well you gotta support the cops or we’d be overrun by all those dark criminals.

Local politics is important, and I don’t pay enough attention to that, but in my case I’d read more LA Times and Sacramento Bee to learn about that. Most local news telecasts I’ve seen focus on crime and human-interest baloney, consumer fearmongering, etc. Maybe I’m selling them short. But also the smarm factor of the anchors makes it tough to watch.

Yes, yes the local news is two half hours of murders, fires, and murderous fires… but without it we would never have been blessed with these words of wisdom from esteemed philosopher Ernie Anastos.

Murderous fire you say?

We gotta watch out for them.

But local news stations not owned by Sinclair cover crime as their bread and butter stories. That isn’t Sinclair, that is the industry. If you want to blame Sinclair for that then you had better blame every TV station news department.

IT’S 10PM DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE?