Fox News thread of fine journalism

Certainly not well-off, but you could absolutely rent a place in a non-terrible spot as long as you’re okay with roommates.

I dunno Tucker, what is life as we know it worth?

Did he say the Dems will give up nothing, but they will take everything from you? That’s kind of the message that’s being pushed here in Trump land.

I’d be willing to sacrifice one Tucker Carlson. I may be an extremist, though.

“We don’t trade lives.”

“But Cap, it’s Tucker Carlson.”

“Okay fine, we trade lives just this once but then after that we don’t trade lives.”

“Unless Mitch McConnell becomes available for trading. Then we’d make an exception again. But just those two. Probably.”

Ted Cruz.

We’re going to run out of cake at this rate.

I don’t see how anything bad can come from this comparison.

How much debt were you running up?

The anti-choice group calls it murder, so they probably would see no problem with the comparison. It’s right up there with the fact that they refuse to really acknowledge that the number has declined over the years because they won’t compromise; they only one zero. Most of them pretty much to refuse to acknowledge that Planned Parenthood is provides a lot more services too. It’s not even their primary service for most places.

Any time you see abortion being drummed up see this instead as agitprop for deflecting and changing the subject from political news that they cannot confront head on.

Literally at this point i see anti-abortion as rabble rousing against Eastasia, and the reason people care about it so much is the drumbeats of conservative media creating it into an issue, inflaming the mob and distracting them.

Whatever it way say 40 years ago that is its function now.

I had typed out something far more unkind about the single issue anti-choice brigade but let me moderate myself a bit.

My main issue with a lot of that crowd is the gross hypocrisy. Preventing an abortion is the single most important issue overriding anything else, but the moment that baby is born they’re perfectly sanguine with no medical care, malnutrition, etc. It’s all about “personal responsibility” at that point.

I could try to recreate the far more unkind version of that comment about those pathetic, incurious Resurrection Cult loonies, if you’d like.

None; in fact I was paying down my college loans the whole time.

I either lived with a roommate or in a microscopic bachelor pad, though, and my health insurance premiums were incredibly low compared to what I have to pay now (granted, I now have a wife and daughter on the plan too).

When I first started a Kaiser plan in '97 my premiums were $87 a month.

I don’t see this as inconsistent, though. If you consider abortion to be actual murder, it is possible to want to outlaw murder without then feeling obligated to care for the person whose murder you have prevented. It is a question of how far the protection of the law ought to extend.

I’m not saying I agree with that line of thinking, but I don’t find it absurd or some kind of non sequitur.

Good, I waited tables and bartended my way through UCLA (the latter years, at least). No student loans but I probably had about 15k in credit card debt to work off afterwards. I couldn’t live in LA, but I do still love to visit.

I’m game. Do your worst. :)

It’s fairly unfortunate that the bomb-the-clinic folks have become the face of the movement, because there are a fair number of anti-abortion people that honestly DO want universal health care and favor very liberal approaches to solve American problems. They’re also not in the “keep women in the kitchen” group; most of these people would be fine with free contraceptives provided to teenagers. They just honestly believe that preventing a zygote from developing into a sentient human being is the same as killing a sentient human being.

Unfortunately for them, the people in this group are faced with the realities of our two-party system: Go with the party that wants to provide everyone with healthcare, or go with the party that wants to prevent the killing of babies. It’s a shitty choice for them, but the path forward for them seems pretty clear: Prevent the killing of babies first, then correct the healthcare thing later.

Actually, you go with the party which doesn’t leverage fear and anger to manipulate people (as much) and/or candidates with the character not to do so. Single issue voters are a HUGE part of the problem, not just for this, but in the way that they have become so easily manipulated through propaganda and outright lies.

My oldest daughter went to Cal State Northridge. She later worked as a hostess and waitress for a small chain in the area. I did her taxes and was amazed how much she actually made (per the w-2 anyway). But all it took was losing room mates for her to soon fall behind and in time be forced to move “home”.