Free Guy with Ryan Reynolds

Is this a recent build? If so, I’d love to know which projector / surround sound setup you went with. My sister-in-law is asking my advice in setting up something like this in her new home, and I don’t have much experience with projectors. I just read the Wirecutter, but I’m looking for more.

Not recent. I got an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5030 UB. Its a few years old and is 1080p not 4K. It still has a great picture. Everyone I have had over for a movie night has been very impressed. My surround is a Klipsch Reference Dolby ATMOS system run through a Onkyo ATMOS amp. It has 7 surrounds, one sub woofer and a ceiling firing speaker. It does a fine job of duplicating that ATMOS theater sound.

Projectors are a fantastic bang for the buck. But you do need some degree of light control. Ambient light from a window can bleach out your picture. I use black out curtains to control that. It does have a good picture with some ambient light but you get a much better picture contrast in a darkened room.

You’re watching the movie at the same time. If someone need a pause, it pauses it for everyone. It’s as close to viewing a movie in the theater together as you can get without actually do that, legally. The problem is a lot of the parties are just associated with old movies, movies we’ve already seen instead of the new one for the not theater parties, and the theater party ones are kind of weird and still old, sort.

None of them are cost saving since everyone has to have an account for most of them.

Why would Disney do this? We could use a fun movie from them this November/December.

I have to suspect it’s because they had a hard time getting people to pay $30 to stream Mulan, so rather than drop the price to see if they can get more uptick, they’ll try to delay everything until “after the pandemic.”

Movie theaters might be fucked though. I can see braving a bar. It’s fun and lively. But sitting in a crowded dark room to watch a film? Naw.

They are fucked. This is not going away in a month or two. They can stockpile films for release but then the studios will all be competing against one another when it finally is safer to go to the movies.

Both these movies Disney is holding back don’t seem like tentpole movies. Close, sort of, but not quite there. Put the Agatha Christie movie out there for $20 for a few weeks and then drop it to $10 and then to $5 and see what it pulls in.

This is their theatrical release calendar, and there is no theatrical audience.

I think one issue is now, not only are the biggest markets in the US closed (New York City and Los Angeles), also parts of Europe are going into lockdown. With Covid on the upswing, releasing any movie this winter seems like an even worse proposition than it was when Tenet came out.

They should just release it on Amazon Prime for free then lol.

It’s Disney, so unlikely.

Rumor has it that the new James Bond movie, No Time to Die, was offered to streaming services for $600 million, but there were no takers — general feeling seems to be if it had been closer to $300 million, it would have been sold, but $600 million was just too rich.

Now these two would go for much less, but they’d have much less of a draw than a Bond film.

I’m kind of hoping Wonde Woman 1984 goes straight to HBO Max, which definitely needs a boost. Putting it on HBO Max definitely seems like it would be a draw. Although putting a movie up that someone could just watch in the 7-day trial period, might not be worth it to the company. Plus Patty Jenkins (the director) seems to be pretty committed to a theatrical release and Warner wants to keep her happy.

I was thinking this movie might have been better with Burt Reynolds.

It makes a lot of sense to put a kids’ movie up on streaming services; kids will watch the same flick 20 times in a week. But Free Guy or James Bond? I would watch it once. The odds of me paying $30 or whatever for it is laughable. Makes perfect sense for studios to simply not release movies this year. Wait it out. It’s not like they’re making topical references that won’t land in Summer 2021.

Depends if they have to pay interest on money used to make the movie. If it’s their own funds and they can wait it out, sure, if it’s somebody else’s money, might be digging a hole.

Which is often the case with blockbusters. Most of those expensive major movies are very leveraged.

Well this was cute:
https://youtu.be/g7q60i_Lh_E

That was cute.

I am also amused that now all our trailers have to remind people it’s only in theater.

“only in theaters” is an old old tagline, but yeah they hammer that point in the trailer with a joke.

I was just coming here to post that. Excelsior.

Ryan Reynolds, perfect guy for when they decide to remake Mad Men as a comedy.