Free Guy with Ryan Reynolds

Yeah, with 3 kids it is absolutely 100% not a movie I would go to the theaters for, especially now.

But some kind of digital rental/ Netflix/ Amazon thing? That I would do.

So I guess most of us are watching it sometime next year.

I hope it’s good. It’s a great concept.

At this point, I’d take a kind of funny, with good actors and just new material and call it “good.” It’d give 30 dollars for WW84, and expect that to be actually good. I’d probably pay oh somewhere around 200 for WW84 if i could get like some sort of streaming party for it for friends. To be clear, I’d do the party thing too with Free Guy, but I am not sure how many friends I could get for Free Guy. It’s super nerd/geek and a lot of my friends simply are not that.

Really looking forward to this. No way in hell would I go to a movie theater to see it. Hard to think of a dumber way to die, than “went to see movie and caught COVID”.

This is the feature these services are missing. The ability to create a watch party with others and charge a sliding fee that maxes out at, say $200 and have everyone watch at the same time.

Have Disney+ handle the billing (so if it’s just two people, maybe it’s $30 each, but if it’s 10 people it’s only $20 each).

I think I’d actually seek out friends to use the watch party feature if it included first-run movies and you could split the costs in some way.

But this feels like a thing that would cause theater owners to revolt again. Though I guess in a few months they won’t be a problem anymore since they won’t really exist!

I think they’re so terrified of people stealing their material, like chasing that one person who didn’t pay their 20 or 30 dollars that they’re missing out on the fact that someone out there actually willing to pay them 200 and try and fill the seats themselves.

There is nothing the world can do right not to fill those theater seats, so these blobs of giant companies have to to pivot and start focusing on what they can do. We can’t push movies out into the next year forever… let me pay for WW84, right now. Let us pay less for something like FreeGuy, and experiment with the options with that.

Mulan was not a good experiment. It was stuck behind a single sub service and and a weird rent/buy scheme.

I’m with ya there, Jeff. Won’t be seeing my shadow in a movie theater likely ever again.

That said, I think there are lots of dumber ways to die. How about “sticking your head in a wood chipper?”

Also, Plex has a “Watch Together” feature.

There are definitely dumber ways to die. We have entire books written about it.

If someone is going to die in a theater, it should at least be for a stellar movie. Free Guy looks fun, not stellar.

I mean apropos of nothing but you can have a pretty decent experience watching Hamilton with your friends via Google Meet screen-sharing. Netflix Watch Party is a great plugin that’s a little more legit (insofar as it does require everyone to sign into a Netflix account), though it’s third party.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. . .

Yeah that stuff exists and some people use it, but I mean for first-run movies that are skipping theaters all together. I don’t think you can group watch those, like Bill & Ted 3.

. . . I mean, if it’s played in a window your videoconference tool of choice can screen capture. . .

(these posts brought to you by the Council for the Irresponsible Use of. . . Ellipses)

I don’t think my mom could figure out how to that set up. She fails at Skype half the time.

I would prefer that any options I choose allows me to support the industry and the movies I love.

I know there are several who seem to celebrate the death of theaters they don’t actually go to, but some of us enjoy the experience. It would be nice if we can have that again in the future. So maybe i can’t prop the theaters directly, but I can at least support the companies that make these movies, if only they would give me reasonable tools and prices to do so.

Disney + has a watch party feature. You can set up a watch party, send the link, and then they will click on it and it will open in app. It automatically syncs videos, and has some basic reactions you can post (no chat or voice comms though)

It works pretty ok. Any user can pause, rewind, or fast forward at any time. So if someone does that it waits a few seconds and syncs all users then resumes.

It is pretty new, the last week or two I think. My wife and I dabbled around with it in prep for doing some videos with my brother and his wife this weekend. They are wanting to do a full run Marvel rewatch.

It sounds the same as the Netflix Party (think it was netflix). I did one of those and it was… okay. It’s still not new content though.

The problem is… they have to have the sub. I would like the ability to see new movies, the ones they keep delaying for… years, with people who have an online presence but largely they don’t subscribe to any of this stuff because they’re still paying for cable and dishes.

Yeah, what I’m talking about (and I think Nesrie is as well) is a watch party feature for the iTunes movie store, Google Play store, etc.

First-run movies that skipped theatrical. Right now the few that have been released are $20-$30 for one person to watch.

We’re saying let us party up and charge a per-person fee that scales based on how many people sign up. No subscriptions required.

Then let me use my iPhone or iPad camera to cast a Facetime call into a window on my TV via AppleTV at the same time!

Yes! Let the most technical person be in charge, that would be me, so all i would have to do is send out the invites. My party guests… just click a link. And give me kick abilities in case some idiot shares that link… we’re good.

It’s like Zoom except you pay for it and it’s not the hellish experience most Zoom meetings tend to be.

Sticking your FEET in a wood chipper.

I still don’t really understand the point of party functionality, now that group chatting via other means is so easy. Just run a zoom call or whatever on your tablet or laptop or phone, and do a countdown to start the movie at the same time. Obviously if you’re talking about other people being able to watch for free, that makes sense for the consumer, but there’s zero chance of that happening for new release movies.

I went the projector route for my home theater set up so if theatres become a thing of the past, I can live with it. I have a 110" high def set up with 7.2 surround so I can replicate the experience of a theater at home. I would love a good streaming option for many of the movies being put on hold. Still, I do enjoy catching movies on the local IMAX and do not want theaters to crash and burn. I do know that until there is a vaccine that is in wide spread use, you will not see me in a theater. I have several underlying conditions and am also on immuno-suppressive chemotherapy. I would be a complete and utter fool to risk it. I will be riding this covid crap out at home for the foreseeable future.