Frostpunk - This War of Mine, steampunk, apocalyptic snow

This game was added to PC Game Pass. Picked it up and really enjoying it

I played the base game twice, once on normal and then againon the harder difficulty. I never played the expansions though, even though I bought them. Are they worth it?

I gotta say this upcoming dlc looks awesome.

I agree. Frostpunk was one of the few city builders that didn’t bore me after a short time. The season pass is on sale at Steam. Seriously considering it.

Because you beat it first?

Hey-oooooo!

It could be that is was relatively short. Steam says 12 hours and I may have had it paused while doing other things. It didn’t make me do boring things to draw out the game and the writing / story it presented was an interesting one.

Look, I’m just busting chops here.

I know, but I thought I’d give you my real answer :-)

I really should fire this up again and actually beat it. Bailed somewheres around halfway through, just got distracted.

The DLC looks good too. You could always play that first since it is leading up to winter and then play the base game for continuity.

I will be picking the DLC up before the sale ends.

Is there a manual for this, or only guides/wikis?

This was helpful for me back when I played.

I’d love to love this game, but sadly my old-man eyes, even with readers, cannot scrutinize the tiny non- scalable UI font. Doubt the devs will ever fix this issue.

Yeah, that’s why I wanted a manual. I fired this up on the xBox One X this weekend, and for the life of me, I couldn’t figure out what the Wood icon was, or what to harvest to get those buildings. Lasted about 15 days on the first scenario.

I picked up the Frostpunk OST and every time I listen to the “The City Must Survive” track it takes me right back to the final storm in the “A New Home” scenario.

I can almost feel the temps dropping in my house as the music plays. And all the memories of scrambling for resources and shifting workers around to keep everybody alive as the storms sets in.

I did one play through where I only made coal thumpers and manned them with automatons so I wouldn’t have to sacrifice anyone to repair the tunnels for the coal mines.

i assume that worked? I only did one play through. It was very tense.

Yes, that did work. I didn’t get the event at all.

I played up to the storm, which I was totally unprepared for, and lost badly. I haven’t had a lot of motivation to go back and give it another try. But that game is definitely an experience.