Frozen 2 - Snow Boogaloo

This is extremely off brand.

Stupid typo! I guess I should just let it go!

Well, I was part of that number.

I sure didn’t like it very much though. Most of the movie is meandering without much story to it. The 2nd act is tedious, the 3rd act is better but the ending is both trite and nonsensical. The songs aren’t very good (especially Kristoff, ugh). My 13-year old liked it, but the 11-year old was meh.

Reviews are irrelevant at this point, as is the price of entry. The hooks are in deep, it’s essentially involuntary.

Is it rude to surf my phone if I sit in the very back row? Kidding. My daughters need to hold my hands for this profound of an event :).

There were more than a few children in Frozen dresses at the theater when I saw Knives Out. They kids enjoy this stuff. Why not just enjoy the ride with them?

I was thinking about your short review of the movie, and while I was disappointed, I thought back to the first movie, and I sort of felt the same way about the first movie as you described the second one. Meandering without much story to it. I didn’t much care for the ending, and I didn’t care for the songs.

I’ve only seen it once though, so maybe it changes if you’ve seen it a dozen times.

You have to understand Frozen as a movie very much in conversation with Disney’s history. It is as much a commentary on tropes it has relied on for their Princess brand, as it is a declaration of change.

When you engage it as a response to the romantic tropes of previous films, it really opens the story up.

Moana is better IMO. Partly because, with this refutation already in the bag, it is confident to tell its own story without needing to address the 800lb gorilla.

Good to hear. The first movie is really not as bad as everyone says it is, and I have seen it maybe three legitimate times (daughters up to 7-8). It has strong female leads, touch of relationship advice (family and romantic), a couple of interesting dilemmas. It wraps up a bit too quick at the end making the character growth quite instant, but other than that… I’m totally fine with my daughter’s being into it. We have dresses that are actually pretty nice.

That’s interesting. I’ll have to rewatch it with that in mind. And since I have Disney+, I can totally do that whenever the mood strikes me! :)

I keep meaning to watch Moana as well, but my wife keeps insisting she wants to watch it too, and we’ll watch it together. But we’re never in the mood for a movie at the same time, so as a result we still haven’t seen it, years later.

Moana is better than Frozen. But I’m not entirely unbiased because I’ve seen Moana only once (the giant crab scared my daughter) and I would need more fingers and toes to count how many times I’ve seen Frozen (even though Marshmallow scared my daughter too).

Toma Toa is my son and daughters favorite. They love to dance to his song.

Yeah, the first Frozen is decent. It definitely does a good job of not having the princess get saved by the prince. And the songs are at least ok (I’m not really into musicals).

Moana is the bomb, though. Dwayne Johnson is great in it, and the songs are good. Especially Jermaine’s song :)

Moana is all sorts of awesome. I say this as someone who really enjoyed Frozen too, and many of the Disney/Pixar movies, old and new.

Oh I could write a term paper about Moana. Just the line “we know where we are, we know who we are”. Is that not incredible? I feel it is a movie that sneaks awesome thoughts into kids’ heads past their oblivious parents (which includes me to an extent :).

Though it is pretty scary, too scary in fact for my older daughter.

Am eagerly waiting for this movie.

I watched Frozen II just because I thought Frozen was genuinely great, but the sequel is a pale shadow. Into the Unknown won’t catch on nearly as much as Let It Go did, and the other songs present were just unexceptional. Olaf had one or two funny lines but otherwise wasn’t nearly as well-written as he was in the original. Then you have Anna’s boyfriend spending the whole movie obsessing over and failing at proposing to her, while she misconstrues everything he says. That’s a bit old-fashioned. This sequel is about as good as the 90s direct-to-video junk Disney put out.

That is harsh, given how horrid some of those were. Fox and the Hound 2, Pocahontas 2, Little Mermaid 2? All utter garbage.

Are you kidding me?!? The entire movie was worth seeing just for the Kristoff song alone!

Exactly. I read about the story meetings, where the two female writers were talking about the story, and the male writers kept trying to introduce romantic subplots to drive the story (“What if Anna and Elsa got into a fight about which one Kristoff likes more??”, etc.). The head of Disney Animation finally said, “Look, it’s their story; we need to trust that they know how to write it.” It is a huge leap that the story is about the relationship between two sisters, and even the romance between Anna and her love interest is kind of pushed to the side.