FTL, space rogue-like

Ug. This Kickstarter thing is getting ridiculous. Nobody is literally holding a gun to my head or anything but they might as well be.

Any distribution of an executable to end users would require packaging in an installer and realistically lots of testing for the various drivers and video cards that people have. Giving it to Onlive wouldn’t necessarily require any of that, and I imagine Onlive has a fairly restricted hardware target.

I’m not sure why this isn’t getting much press love at the moment. I wrote something up on it at Voodoo Extreme just when they started getting the campaign going, as well as my Twitter account, but I haven’t seen other sites really give it much of a mention.

This is a pretty kickass game that more people should be excited about. It’s like Tradewars and Rogue had a baby. If I were in a better financial position I would have gone for the $500 tier, but had to cut myself off at $100.

I think you can get some pretty early builds out on Desura that don’t need that much compatibility testing. I think it’s more likely that - as they mention and someone else reiterated - this is something special for IGF, and they didn’t even really intend to let people play yet.

These guys made Sundog? Oh wow.

If you would put on your developers hat and make a game like this I would kickstart the hell out of it.

Without a doubt.

This.

Not exactly rocket science; I’m liking the idea of Kickstart and hope even more “niche” titles get funded, where “niche” == games I want!

If it means more space games, especially

As of right now, they’ve made 450% of their goal, as they’re at $45,453 in donations. That’s freaking INSANE. Other developers take note, we want more space games, dangit. :)

No, these guys did not make Sundog. But the term “FTL” triggered my research. The difference is that the makers of Sundog is named “FTL Games”, while this game is called…“FTL Game”. (I know. I KNOW!)

Digging a bit more, you will find the names of the people behind each game, and they are very different. This game is actually made in China (by expats?).

I signed up for OnLive to play the demo and it confirmed two things for me : 1) I can’t wait for this game and 2) Onlive is terrible. By 15 minutes into the demo the mouse was so laggy I could barely click the right buttons.

I got through one and a half systems, fought some mundane enemies and a couple nasty ones, helped out a ship without fuel and traded away some big guns for some extra shields. Fought fires, vented the atmosphere to put fires out and sent a crew member through the wrong door, firing her out into space.

Lots of fun.

Onlive performance has a lot to do with your connection and your distance to the server. FWIW, I wasn’t experiencing any lag (although I have on other occasions).

FTL is fantastic! I’m totally getting this.

FTL looked fun but i’m not sure it was a great move of onlive todo this - wouldn’t want make me want to use it for anything else

For me it was fine, right up to the point where it wasn’t. Which is weird, because I wasn’t suddenly downloading special interest movies or otherwise loading my network.

Yet I spent the back six-to-eight minutes of the demo moving my mouse and then waiting a couple seconds to see if it ended up over the button I was aiming for.

It was a good move for FTL because if I hadn’t already chipped into the kickstarter, I would have off the back of the demo. But equally a bad move for OnLive because if I hadn’t 100% convinced myself to never give them money, the apparently arbitrary lag issue finished me off.

I really liked this demo - definately a day 1 purchase for me, if I had some extra money I would kick to the project for sure.

The floaty mouse was driving me crazy though, but I will blame Onlive on that thanks to comments I read here - I wonder how many other people will have that issue and blame FTL though.

Anyone who kickstarted this should have just received an email with a link to download one of the ingame music tracks. I thought the music was pretty good and “catchy” when I played yesterday, so that’s a neat little freebie.

Yup, and they’ve surpassed 500% of their goal. AMAZING…

I had the issue, but knew it was OnLive from my previous tryout of the service. Needless to say, I’ve bought $0 worth of stuff from them.

Edit: Based on what I played of FTL, I dropped some Kickstarter their way.

Yeah, I used onLive before on a game I was familiar with, so I knew what to expect. Hopefully people will try several games and most likely notice that this is omnipresent and then onLive can go away forever. :P

woo that was fun. with some strategy and luck, i made it to the end of the demo.

what happens at the end of the demo :O

at the exit of sector 2, the game gives you an unwinnable battle and tells you as much.

i think my most interesting death was when the med bay was offline, and I had a fire in the blast door control compartment, I opened the doors to vent the oxygen, the fire disabled the blast door system before going out. so i couldn’t get in to fix the blast doors without suffocating. >.<