Fuck 2016: RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

WTF 2016

No no no no no.

Have got to be kidding me.

Truth in thread titling: @rei edition

"2016 fucking sucks and so does Games For Windows’

Variety’s report updated with more details.

Described as “full cardiac arrest,” 15 minutes before landing. Described as “unresponsive,” CPR performed while still on plane.

So more CGI Leia in the future?

2016 is a bleeding hemorrhoid of a year. And no hope in sight. I weep for the future.

Probably a little too soon.

Awwww sucks! Not now! There’s still Ep 8 and 9 to go!

This is hopeful.

From what I read she’s on a ventilator. She stopped breathing for 10 minutes.

Hope the old girl pulls through with flying colors. According to her books, she’s had some rough times.

If she really was without a pulse and not breathing for 10 minutes, that’s not something you recover from.

Yeah, not without being young and immersed in very cold water. Severe brain damage is all but guaranteed, even with good CPR, rapidly administered.

I’m hoping for the best, but if that part of the story is accurate, I don’t have much hope at all.

Let’s hope she pulls through without brain damage.

From what I am seeing, the reporting that she was stable was in error. Her brother is telling variety that she is in intensive care and not stable.

Hardly the time to be pedantic about this, but production on Episode 8 wrapped back in July (I think).

The fact that things are seemingly quiet, with no news on the Carrie Fisher front doesn’t bode well. A little more than a year ago, I spent an agonizing 4 days hovering around my comatose Dad in an ICU. I was surrounded by my family, and we were waiting for him to wake up or respond in a more favourable way to any of the treatments he was getting. It was a lot of waiting, and waiting and waiting, rotating in and out of the ICU (they only allow 2 people in at a time), hoping and praying for a positive sign. A part of me thinks that the ICU staff were being kind, letting us adjust a bit to the reality that he wasn’t going to wake up again after his sudden decline, letting us get ready to authorize cessation of extraordinary treatment measures.

Sadly, my Dad never improved and passed away on January 10, 2016 (one more reason why I’m staunchly Fuck 2016). But I remember those days of waiting, with no news to give friends and other family members who asked, wondering if he would ever wake up and talking with doctors who couldn’t offer anything concrete other than “Let’s wait and see if he gets better.” And that included my brother, the emergentologist who was a colleague to many of the ICU staff doctors.

Sorry to be a bummer, but I really enjoy Carrie Fisher’s work, and this time of year is a reminder of what I experienced last January. But, basically, I suspect she’s probably gone and it’s just a question of her family coming to grips with it before they permit discontinuation of life support.