Full Frontal w/ Samantha Bee on TBS

Samantha Bee, long time correspondent with The Daily Show has her own show now. In front of a live audience but she isn’t sitting at a desk, Jon Stewart style. She riffs for a bit at the start with the help of some visual aids on screen. Then there are some prepared pieces. It was all very good I thought. I had my doubts at the outset about whether she could pull this off on her own but I think she nailed it pretty much.

I commented to my girlfriend that it was sort of the Tosh.0 of politics. She thought more Talk Soup of politics. But you get the drift.

I rather enjoyed her take on the Iowa primary results.

e: Fairness in Conversation act, she had some fun with the Hillary/Bernie debate. I laughed.

People who know her and worked with her on the Daily Show raved about her comic timing and skills and writing chops. I think only some of that got to the airwaves.

But yeah, on this very, very tiny sample size, she’s been terrific. If she was on Comedy Central and not TBS, you could see her as a breakout star.

This is great, Samantha Bee is great. While there’s no need to compare, clearly Comedy Central missed the boat not pulling her in as the new host.

She hit the ground running and after 1 episode it seems clear I’ve found the replacement for the Daily Show fix that Trevor hasn’t been able to provide.

Between this and the John Oliver show, it is like the Daily Show never ended. Trevor does seem to be improving though.

I never cared too much for her bits on TDS… they always seemed a little too ham-handed and intentionally frantic. I’ll give her a chance though.

I really liked the segment on syrian refugees this week, and I think I have watched the Bernie Sanders as a Maestro clip five times and laughed every time. Whoever edited that clip together did a great job syncing the music.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5y70oKbAKY

And link to the second one I was talking about hehe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F1VMCjWXuM

Just started watching this show last week.

Holy crow, it is amazing. The RNC coverage they have been doing is top notch.

“[Palan’s] mad because Trump stole her word salad-spinner.”

Bee’s Not The White House Correspondent’s Dinner is up on Youtube. It’s pretty good. Decent mix of ragging on Trump and CNN and advocating for high quality journalism.

I thought it was OK. I’d rank it below her normal show, but I appreciated that it was live and that some compromises needed to be made.

Farrell was pretty good as Dubya.

I liked that her “correspondents” got some face-time and appreciation from the crowd.

I thought that the Samantha Bees from previous roasts was… more miss than hit. I thought the concept was clever, but other than the costumes I didn’t think the jokes were very good. The only one that I found consistently funny was “President Pence” one from the future, and even that one overstayed its welcome. Her on-stage bits were much better.

Her show is always like this, and it speaks volumes about her that she’s so willing to give her writers their due.

-Tom

I’m disappointed that she apologized today. The President won’t apologize for all the shit he’s said & done. Isn’t he our nation’s role model?

Likewise disappointed. I guess she apologized for that choice of word being said from one woman to another, not necessarily for its particular level of profanity. I can’t think of any other reason unless TBS gave her an ultimatum.

Edit: It’s always about money sigh

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1002289610351894528

Well, you know, I think it’s possible to be funny without calling someone a tapir. It also weakens your argument.

What about if I call Ivanka Trump a cunt without meaning it to be funny, merely cruel and justifiably hateful?

Nah, still not great. Need a nice, non-gendered insult, like shitfucker. Anyone can fuck shit if they’re dedicated enough!