Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

The game is also 66% off on Humble today, it seems.

New Lost Treasures DLC for Galactic Civilizations III is out today. :)

More details: New Lost Treasures DLC for Galactic Civilizations III - Now Available! » Forum Post by Island Dog

The v1.82 update is out today. :)

Full changelog: http://forums.galciv3.com/479195/

[quote]Overview

UI Stability improvements: We’ve increased the number of UI widgets by 4x. Extreme games (e.g large maps, hundreds of fleets, etc.) will now be more stable. We have also fixed numerous issues with the new notification system.

Gameplay: We’ve fixed a ship trading exploit and several gameplay bugs. In addition, we have made some treaties free for alliance members.

Rise of the Terrans DLC: Updated campaign to use a new United Earth “classic” ship style that better represents ships of that galactic era. As part of that change, you now can select United Terrans ship style for your custom races and choose from over twenty new “classic” ship parts for your ship designs.[/quote]

Wow looks super cool!

As a head’s up, they’re about to release a remake of Altarian Prophecy (originally done for GalCiv I back years ago but now all new - not a remaster but a full blown recreation).

One of the nice touches is that the ship designs from then are being included so you’ll get to see what ships from back then look like recreated a modern engine. :)

I’m sure ID will post when it comes out. ;)

-brad

Very cool. Hopping onto the series’ train with GC2, I never really got to experience much GC1 stuff, except through your own occasional posts on the subject, @Brad_Wardell. Looking forward to taking a step back in time!

Is this the GalCiv3 variant game you were talking about earlier a few times?

Not if I post before @Island_Dog !

Face Down Enemies and Forge New Alliances in The Altarian Prophecy DLC

• Check out the new campaign and explore new ship parts and styles for more customization.

New Campaign

• Discover the story of the alliance between mankind and the Altarians! Spanning 3 missions, you must do whatever it takes to overcome the Dominion of the Korx and their mysterious masters, the Drath.

New Ship Styles

• Customize your ships with classic ship styles! This DLC includes the Drath and Korx styles.

New Ship Parts

• Explore dozens of classic ship parts and build some of your favorite Galactic Civilizations II ships.

Available on Steam and Stardock!

I’m really loving the policy of releasing smaller, but substantial, DLC for these games.

Hey, new Altarian DLC is ou…oh not again! :D

Several GalCiv titles including the Mercenaries expansion are on sale in the Steam “Supreme Leader” sale, along with a few other Stardock titles. :)

Links to all are here: http://forums.stardock.com/479546/

I was thinking about installing this, but it doesn’t look like it ever caught on with the people in my friend list. Out of the people who played it 27 people played less than 20 hours with only 11 playing for more. Only 4 played it more more than 40. I know I should just find out for myself but with games like this it could take 10+ hours before I decide if it’s working for me.

What are the reasons people aren’t playing it? I guess it could be with so many good games this is just getting lost in the shuffle to games people just are enjoying more. I mean a good 4X can easily suck up hundreds of hours of play.

That sounds like just about every game on my friends list. (Outside of a few giants like Civ V and Fallout).

I was playing it at releases and liked it fair enough, but the talk from Brad and company was that large changes were coming. And then when changes were made, it seemed like they were talking about more big changes. So I shelved it until it was “done”, which I guess it is now, but still haven’t gotten back to it.

Steam has me listed at 12 hours. I have played a lot more than that, but since I play all my games with steam in offline mode Steam isn’t going to show how many hours I play. That being said I don’t play it much because I think the ship designer ruins the flow of the game. Don’t get me wrong I like designing ships, I just want the process to be select ship style, pick components, name it and be done. That’s one click for choosing a ship style, one for choosing a component, one click for how many of the components you want and then name and finish. I know you can get ship styles for GalCiv3 from the Steam workshop, but I still feel that I have to do to much work in placing the components. If the ship designer was more streamlined I would play GalCiv3 more.

I have about 20 hours on record. I think I’m realistically closer to about 40 thanks to my spotty internet at home.

Did Stardock ever make the ship designer directly accessible from the main menu?

I played the tutorial and another game on 1 above normal difficulty (which I lost). I think it’s a good enough game, but I don’t think it is one that I’ll choose to play over some other stuff. First, GalCiv reminds me why I like space games where travel is handled in lanes, or land bound games with terrain. Space is just too open to be that interesting.

Also I hate (HATE!!) when some diplomatic communication pops up and I can’t view what my current relationship is or current agreements are with that race. I mean, in most places the game is very good with things like tool tips. I just don’t get how some information can be overlooked. It’s not like I remember if I’m friendly with the Krynn over some other race. There are some I know my standing with, but why not just show stuff on the screen when they contact me - same with the council screen.

Other than some small annoyances I am enjoying the game but I think it will get left behind after my current game to play other things.

amen brother !! I feel exactly the same way…and this is why I find space games boring …my strategy ‘eye’ needs lanes/choke points/impassable terrain/obstacles to deal with…yes, they try black holes and other crap but it just doesn’t work/feel right

outstanding observation

I like open space because you never know what you’re going to come across. Maybe you’ll travel and hit nothing but meaty new planets, maybe you’ll travel and hit a massive battle fleet. I’d hate to have every single 4x space game I play be forced into star lanes. I like feeling the vastness of space in my space game :)

Variety is good and it’s probably best to have options.

I ended up playing 1 more game and this time got the tech victory. WHat was kind of fun is that I was the humans, who are strong in diplomacy - and I didn’t fight a single battle. I got an alliance with 3 of the AI players, and the rest of the factions that didn’t like me never attacked - probably because I had 3 strong allies I guess. I like that there is a peaceful path to victory.

I wish there wasn’t a ship designer, because I feel like I have to use it. There isn’t a lot of variety in the research either. It was usually just unlocking a stronger version of something I already had. I think it was a decent enough remake of the Gal Civ franchise, but I think I just may have outgrown that specific formula. Again, not bad but just not something that will pull me in.