Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

The first thing a GalCiv III player will notice is that Constructors, Colony Ships, and Survey Ships now use Administrative resources. Your time, or I should say, the time of your various minions, is finite. This should be obvious but we have not included minion time (administration) as a resource in this manner before.

That sounds like one of the ideas they had with MOO 3 (and then abandoned before release without changing the rest of the game too much). It’s interesting to see something like this concept again in a 4X game.

Wouldn’t a lot of the “administrative” time be in essence, CPU cycles, rather than people - surely a lot of work in the space age would be AI’s rather than people, and real people would be a hinderance to the nation as a whole - Perhaps an idea for
a race with a totally different gameplay mechanic (Solar power - requiring proximity to their star, energy creation limiting their expansion, etc…) (which might already be in the game but I haven’t played it, since I only play my custom rat race with hives :) ?

Maybe GalCiv sunday should be a thing. It is Sunday and I want to play GalCiv. - Make it so.

HashTag:#GalCivSunday

If anyone missed the Crusade livestream with Brad and Paul, we have a highlight video up. :)

Brad has a new Crusade diary up today and it details citizens and the new economic system, plus delves into espionage and how spies and saboteurs work. :)

http://www.stardock.com/community/article/482106/CRUSADE-DIARY-5-Spies-Saboteurs

I spent so long between each round of Galciv I play it seems like I should probably restart/re-seed my galaxy each time, since there has usually been a major patch between each time :P

Or… will content that is added not have any issue with an existing galaxy? Thinking random events, planet features and whatnot… I would assume it depends (And is this flagged in patch notes what requires a ‘new galaxy’ vs. ‘can still use your current one?’.

Cheers.

Citizens and resources are sounding a lot more interesting than the current system. I’m really looking forward to playing once Crusade hits.

Ugh. I am so old.[quote=“Island_Dog, post:1523, topic:73564, full:true”]
If anyone missed the Crusade livestream with Brad and Paul, we have a highlight video up. :)

[/quote]

I don’t know Brad, you look better than ever to me. You’re the one on the far right in that still shot correct? ;)

It sounds like an interesting take on things. It seems like a trend in strategy games recently to have some resources that you can’t just scale up along with everything else as you expand. Having that in the form of customizable citizens sounds like fun.

Though could you change the name for the worker? Sounds like he would have to be pretty busy if he personally increases the production of a world by a third. Industrialist, Captain of industry, Automation savant?

Crap. I thought Brad was black all this time.

If you subscribe to Game Informer magazine, be sure to check out the exclusive Crusade preview in the latest issue. :)

So how is Gal Civ 3 with all the new additions, invasions, etc? Anyone really running it hard? Sorry if Crusade isn’t out I will go check on it in a minute. My thought is that it is though yet we have few posts on it. I am probably wrong.

Ah yes sorry. Not out yet. Well that looks like a lotta good stuff to tighten/make better this game. I will grab it and comment on it as it releases.

They really do help. Crusade if it’s done right will put it over the top.

GalCiv III at launch- I regretted my purchase at that point. I now think it was almost worth the money.

(You can skip some of the DLC like Rise of the Terrans though)

My own relationship with Galactic Civilizations III is complicated.

At most studios, when a game changes designers, it is because the previous designer had left. Soren did Civilization IV and then left (and eventually came to Stardock and now runs Mohawk). Jon Shafer designed Civilization V and then left (and came to Stardock and then later formed Conifer Games).

But while I designed GalCiv I and GalCiv II I went on to design Ashes of the Singularity while my friend Paul designed GalCiv III.

It’s not easy to design a game while the engine is being built. Remember Elemental? That started out as a Master of Magic style game that slowly morphed based on what the engine could and couldn’t do.

Engine aside, GalCiv III at launch is a somewhat different game than I would have made and that’s pretty tough when you’re still working at the same company.

Now, Crusade is mine. And the difference between Crusade and the base game is substantially larger than the difference between GalCiv I and GalCiv II. It’s not GalCiv III + new features. It is a to bottom re-design of the balance and pacing and user experience.

Here’s GalCiv III:
http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/games/pc/galactic-civilizations-iii-mercenaries/galactic-civilizations-iii-mercenaries_016.jpg

Look closely at the UI, the shape of the influence, the lighting, what information is available.

By contrast, here is GalCiv III: Crusade

You can tell a lot about a game’s focus based on what data it chooses to present. For me, civilization games are mostly about the economics and culture you build. Other people tend to prefer war and combat.

You can kind of see that in Civilization IV vs. Civilization V at launch. IV was much more about economics and culture while V was more focused on war and conquest.

Similarly, while Crusade implies war, it is, as the UI makes pretty clear, much more about your economy. War is there as an alternative means of obtaining the resources you need.

Wow, the GalCiv 2 influence borders are back- neat!

I thought it was linked, but Brad also has a new dev diary out for Crusade today.

http://www.stardock.com/community/article/482214/CRUSADE-DIARY-6-What-kind-of-Civilization-do-you-want-to-build

I’m liking a lot of what I am reading in Crusade. I’m wondering if it will feel balanced, unbalanced, or “so many unbalanced exploits possible that it’s actually kind of balanced overall”.

This is the only good kind of balance in a SP title.

I can’t help but think that Crusade (after Brad’s post above, especially) will get me hooked right in to Gal Civ III (which I admit I bounced off of initially). So many new interesting ideas. This is good news.

This Thursday at 1pm ET, Brad will be giving a preview of Crusade on our Twitch channel.

We’ll also be posting the stream on YouTube sometime after.