Galactic Civilizations 3 announced

It’s not just you. I haven’t played much since original release, but I am still struggling with the changes and how to do little things. I do wish the tooltips were a little more informative as well. Love that they updated the tutorial for Crusade, Paradox could learn something from them.

So much this.

Also, I’d like to give a big shout-out to the graphics designer for the updated UI. Wonderful!

Thanks for the heads up. I was just getting ready to pump out a bunch specifically for upgrading.

No one else having trouble switching the map-move controls to WASD? It may seem like a little thing, but it’s enormously frustrating for me, and I’ve stopped playing because of it.

I don’t know, but the fact that W and S work differently makes me wonder if they have some other mapping that is interfering? If you revert to the arrow mapping, do up and down work if an object is selected? If not, seems like a bug.

I’d prefer it if WASD scrolling worked, but I’m not going to stop playing because it doesn’t.

I already gave it a negative Steam review because of it.

Edit: That was sarcasm, if there was any doubt.

I figured out the problem: W is assigned by default to sentry, and S by default to survey. I changed the sentry and survey commands to other hotkeys, and now WASD works fine. Yay!

I’m trying to get a handle on the economics of the game. For planetary production, everything is proportional to the square root of your population. So it seems that if you have the planets available, you will get more by spreading your people out, at least initially. Working against that you have any multiplicative modifiers, but at the start those seem to be fairly few (and you probably want to focus on stuff that gives you a straight-up boost).

Of course, spreading out makes a lot of enemies, but it seems like the production function provides a strong short-term reason to spread out, compared to linear.

Eventually you can’t have a bunch of low-population planets because you can’t afford to pay the maintenance on all the tiles.

Also, is ship production effectively “free”? If I don’t have a shipyard it seems like I would be throwing away whatever ship production I would otherwise have, which makes going for an early shipyard seem pretty strong. In my brief time, I didn’t notice any allocation between social and ship production. It seems if you don’t have a shipyard assigned, would-be ship production is dumped into the nearest star?

Map sizes are now resymced.

As for the AI, it’s a reactionary based AI rather than scripted or state machine. This means you can pretty much anything to the maps,and it will adapt.

Thanks a million!

Typo?.. negative review incoming.

Now that I’ve figured out the WASD thing, I’m enjoying this a lot! I was wondering the same thing as MarkJ, though – is ship production free? Or does it come out of the social production budget?

Ships come out of the ship construction.

The only expenses now are maintenance.

My post Angry Joe battle: https://www.screencast.com/t/ijgVVczFkn

Played a bit on insane :P. Really like the new features.

Seems to be a bug with the revenue tooltip in the top left? It shows me with a “positive” value, for example 6.7, but when I look at the Govern screen, it shows me having a negative revenue total - maybe “-5”. And the govern screen value matches with the money total I have after a turn has ended.

Yea, it was fixed before release but deemed too risky to change the “gold” version for it. There’s a redundant warrior trait too that’s in the same category. There’s a big week 1 update coming that has bunches of little tweaks and fixes like that.

I’m also using that build to get in more flavor text and put in the new super huge ludicrous galaxy size.

Cheers.

I was messing around a bit with the MapSizeDefs.xml and figured I’d make it even more insane but guess I can wait for the first patch and see how Ludicrous size works out :) Played around 200-300 turns and my race was still ranked 16th out of 16, so I’m probably gonna lose the map, guess I should start a new one.

Noticed that some of the UI seemed to ‘lag’ behind and then get redrawn incorrectly (like out of alignment with borders vs. text). The ‘active events’ window on the top left also seems to lag out a bit between turns, in that, it redraws one or two events… then the UI freezes and it will show everything correctly again.

So 1 bug and some typos. Practically unplayable. Got it.

You posted one. Map size was fixed today. Scroll speed isn’t a bug, you just don’t like it. Typos? Ok, I guess I don’t notice those things.

I am certainly not above whining about a game (see above), but you’re going a bit over board.

Unfortunately, yes.