Galactic Civilizations 4 announced

I might end up trying one of them out just for my notes for work. I usually just end up using emacs.

Holy crap. How is this not making more news???

I went into the custom race screen, typed in “sentient dogs” for the description and hit the generate button. This is what it gave me:

Haha, that is great!

It’s why I am so excited about it I’m thinking of basically swallowing the 40 bucks again to get it on steam.

I can’t tell if this is tongue in cheek or not - bravo

Hate to nitpick, but did it describe those dogs as bipedal?

The AI stuff really is kind of amazing. Even now, and it’s still early access and under development.

I’m leaning towards it, I just don’t know if it’s ready for prime time yet.

How is it playing right now?

Yes, but the program gave me a selection of AI-generated images to choose from, a couple of which did have bipedal dogs. The one I chose was the goofiest.

Here is the image selection screen for “evil Tom Chick clones”

Final race:

Tom and Mrs. Peanut sitting in a stew of radioactive goo?

“Sentient toasters” gave me some great choices.

Ah, so it’s on you, then!

I owned it on Epic and paid for the newer version/expansion. Decided to refund because it does feel like I am getting doubled charged to a degree. I always bought the founders pack in the past and never worried about it since it included all upgrades. Stardock does support it games so the pack seemed like a good deal over the years.

I was waiting for the game to come out of Early Access and I think they could have done better for early supporters especially since it was on Epic. They had to make expansion standalone since they elected on exclusivity with Epic and it was the only way forward to put the game on Steam (IMHO). I feel like early adopters shouldnt have to bear the brunt of that.

At this point I rather have it on Steam so will wait for a sale. With AOW4 coming out I am in no rush.

I’m curious if they have a curated bunch of graphics that they include as options too? Your peanut cucumber guy also showed up in one of the dev diaries.

Yeah, I noticed some repeated images when I was fooling around with it.

Any time I used “clones” in the description it gave me very similar Pickle Rick options.

Interesting. I should’ve kept a tally.

20230430155630_1

Don’t know yet! Have not picked it up yet as I am doing “kids stuff” with my 5 year old. As soon as I get home I am going to break and spend the 40 bucks!

Yeah -I ran into that as well.

Its a bit strange to be halted in your game due to too many attempts at making races. I understand why, having tried ChatGPT a bit, but still it rankles a bit.

Also, as others have mentioned, there is some clear curating going on, imagewise, which kinda feels limiting. I’ve seen the same images again and again, to different prompts.

I love the idea, but the execution isn’t quite there yet.

I think it’s just that it has to pull from art assets that Stardock has rights to. Hopefully that pool expands, but I would think they have to be careful to avoid some gnarly legal issues.

That’s how I interpret this section from their dev diary on the topic, anyway:

I think it could potentially be pretty cool, though. Instead of having artists just focus on making one race for a DLC, everything they create can go into the pool and be used with this system.

Thank you KevinC - I did not know this! Seeing how the system required an internet access, I was certain it was hooked up directly at ChatGPT.

While a little disappointing, it makes perfect sense, and all in all, is a good thing that it avoid the issue of copying other artists.